How do you clean your scope lens?

I get to play with six-figure microscopes that have five-figure objective lenses and four figure eyepieces. Those lenses are fully multi-coated and scratching one would really piss everybody off, yet people yuck them up all the time with immersion oil or whatever goop is on their slides, and so they have to be cleaned frequently, probably more than a rifle scope. The Zeiss microscope guy charging close to a thousand dollars an hour on his service visits said to only use the special lens papers and never any other paper or tissue. The sheet of lens paper should be passed lightly over the lens or a crumpled wad gently swabbed over the lens, at paper pressure and not pressed in with the finger. Wet Q-tips are OK in moderation, wet with either their $pecial cleaner or Sparkle glass cleaner, which is alcohol based. No ammonia, no Windex, no other solvents. For what it's worth.

I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested licking their lenses clean, like a gecko.

As others have alluded to, it is very important to remove any debris (even dust) before wiping the lens. Otherwise, that debris is just an abrasive that you are now grinding into the lens if you go right for the cloth. Blowing it with an air bulb or compressed air duster is the best first step to remove any loose debris. Next, use a soft lens brush to gently remove any remaining debris or dust that was stuck to the lens. Finally, complete the cleaning by wiping the lens with a quality moistened lens cloth (disposable or otherwise).

That's for higher-end glass. Of course, if it's a cheapie scope or set of binos, I just use my tee shirt :p

I never really considered having dirty/gritty lenses on my scopes. I guess that is because I don't go out hunting and only shoot in my backyard and usually from my "sniper window" for pests. I do have flip-up scope caps and even when I was smoking, I would keep at least the ocular cap closed so my cigar smoke didn't have a chance to gum up the lens. Depending on the wind, I might close both caps.

I can't stand fuzziness when I try to focus.

So, I guess I should have qualified my question a little better?

I NEVER have grit, but over time, I do notice the clarity becomes a bit "smudged" because the lenses have a little bit of ambient residue. I really only have to clean my scope lenses about every 4 to 6 months and it doesn't require a lot of trouble. Usually my breath will do and I use the lint free cloths that come with the scopes that I keep in plastic bags and that is ALL they are ever used for. I still hesitate to use anything other than water because I am not sure how the lens coatings will hold up if I used alcohol, or other solvents.

I NEVER use tissue paper. I ALWAYS use the lens cloths that came with the scopes and I take extreme care of them to ensure they don't have any grit, grime or oil on them. They stay in a plastic bag until needed and go back into the bag ASAP when I an done.

Thanks for all of the replies and I will keep all the suggestions in mind if I ever let my scope lenses get THAT dirty... which will never happen! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry
Something I did not mention in my post above is that I NEVER wash the lens cloth in the clothes washing machine.

I hand wash them using mild dish detergent and thoroughly rinse them many times. I do this because I have found that washing them in the clothes washer tends to leave too much detergent residue in the cloth which tends to smear on the lenses. If your city water is high in chlorine, you may even want to do a final rinse in distilled water. That is what I do.

Hand washing/rinsing ensures that I have no such residue and I can feel if there is any grit in the cloth. If I feel ANY grit, the cloth is discarded.

Oh, and I have found that most microfiber cloths are less than optimal and some may even scratch the lens.

JMHO based on my own experience.

All my best!

Kerry

A set of scope covers are the first defense at cleaning my lenses. When I'm not looking through the scope the cover's are down. I don't touch the lenses often. A blast of air first, then a light wipe and only if necessary.
Agreed. I like the flip-up lens covers for for that very reason. Even when I am stalking pests, once I have my focus set for where I expect to see the quarry, I close the lens caps until a target presents itself. Well, I close the ocular cap anyway. The objective lens has a 3 inch sunshade on both scopes, so chances are very slim that debris or smoke, etc will fog up the objective lens for the most part.

That is why I only have to wipe/clean my scope lenses about every 4-6 months. I guess I am OCD about this. I simply can't stand to try and focus on a target only to realize that the lens is smudged. (smile) Even with lens caps, the ambient air has enough moisture and contaminants that it affects the image quality enough for me to notice in 4-6 months anyway.

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist