How many Brocock Atomic RX pistols are "actually" used as pistols

I bought the Atomic RX to be used as a...pistol...if possible. I have plenty of short guns, and a pistol made into a faux carbine isn't really my cup-o-tea.

After months of curiosity about the RX, and its use as a pistol, I finally got going and bought one to try, it arrived the other day.

I find that it's missing one thing though. The safety lever only has the Fire and Safe (implied) positions, it's missing the "Semi" position, should I send it back !!? The receiver is built plenty robust enough to have been made into a semi-auto gun.

No real need to add to any of the previous comments or videos about how though the gun is. I find no argument most of what I've seen.
And while the trigger SEEMS, very nice, smooth, crisp let-off, and all of that, it must have a cars front spring in the mechanism. I don't have a pull gauge, but the trigger pull is similar to my fire arms ! A good 3lbs.+ is my guess. I moved the trigger shoe, down and back a little, for a better angle, didn't help much.
One thing did amaze me, I put the Trijicon, MRO on it, only took two clicks right to get it on center at about 13yrds.
With the front Picatinny rail removed and the MRO sight set back, the balance in one hand isn't bad at all. Right now the, front to back, balance point is about the radius of the trigger guard, so that's a pretty good thing.
Oh yeah, It got a grip swap too.

Also...for anyone else that MAY...actually use this gun as a pistol (right handers), swapping the cocking handle to the "top"...of the cocking arm, actually allows the use of the left hand to cock the gun. May even help for the pistol-shoulder stock folks.

I haven't done any pellet speed checking or adjusting yet. Will look into that today or tomorrow.

I tried a Tatsu and the Huma Mod30 for sound suppression. The three segment Huma make it almost...a whisper, but it's too long. The two segment Huma, is a notable bit quieter than the Tatsu. The Huma is smaller in diameter, and a, little shorter, soo. I do have the short 0db that I can try, but it's kinda long.

Kinda like shooting a .22 out of a .50 cal., Desert Eagle...but that's ok I guess.
More playing, experimenting to come.

1678393205700.jpeg

Mike

Reactions: Wauzoo
Mine has been a pistol since I bought it. I tried it as a carbine which didn't do it for me. I tuned the hammer to get right at 700fps and shoot paper exclusively. You’re kidding about semi-auto, right? I also have a single shot loader on mine and have never used the mag in it. I also now shoot with the 3-12x Bug Buster and a Hatsan Air Stripper.

3C1DA042-A553-48F7-8A9D-E4F5BDC0E3B2.jpeg
24F2AF98-2883-4C20-9904-7B2AD6FD7F51.jpeg
52C42752-C13E-46A1-A4BC-51539EB02EF5.jpeg

Picked up this Kral NP-03 last week on the classifieds here. 25 caliber. I have quickly come to love it. Have been shooting it with the butt stock but mostly without. I bought it to be used as a pistol... I have enough rifles and carbines. This foregrip makes it a lot easier to stabilize without the butt stock.

Seems to do awesome with Polymags. Tried some JSB Hades today and hit a 2" spinner at 75 yards 9 times out of 10. Using a $25 ebay red/green dot. Also notice my fancy $40 Buckrail moderator.

View attachment 339115
I thought this post was about the Brocock Atomic XR.

It is… @MikeVV, thanks for the post… My second Atomic XR came with the trigger set so heavy. I thought the safety was on, you can adjust the trigger much lighter.

I had a gunsmith try to adjust my trigger down for bench shooting and when he went lower, the poundage went up! So for mine about 1.5 pounds is as light as it will go. But I do think polishing the sear will help smooth the pull.

Reactions: Wauzoo
Okay guys I'll delete my post about a (not very) different gun I'm using as a pistol if you Bro-cock-bros don't like reading about it.

Thought it was called "having a conversation". Lesson learned ;)
You’re welcomed to contribute anytime you like. I had zero problems with you posting up your sweet rig.

It is… @MikeVV, thanks for the post… My second Atomic XR came with the trigger set so heavy. I thought the safety was on, you can adjust the trigger much lighter.

Yeah...I watched this video twice last night, listened to what the guy said ! Didn't sound promising ("not much can be done for the weight").
Overall, the action of the trigger is really nice. Very smooth, no creap at the wall to let-of. Sort of afraid to try to lighten the pull just to end up screwing up the rest !

Maybe I'll give it a try.

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Wauzoo and L.Leon
Okay guys I'll delete my post about a (not very) different gun I'm using as a pistol if you Bro-cock-bros don't like reading about it.

Thought it was called "having a conversation". Lesson learned ;)
It is. About my doing with a giant pistol that some use as a rifle.
So...if you're doing the same with a similar gun...full post ahead ! I don't have a problem with sharing, as long as it is...like yours...similar.
Just don't be talking about some 4 foot long FX gun, I know...that no one's using that...as a pistol !!!

Mike

My Atomic XR as a carbine, tonight after work. Was losing light, but wanted to send some quick shots. The wind was from behind my right shoulder, quartering to the left. Target one, did not hold off for wind, held off on target two and three. Bipod front, fist as rear. Would probably miss the whole bucket if I tried to use it as a pistol.🤓

1124EFC7-2992-4C13-BB34-CFE99B268B55.jpeg

Last edited:
It is. About my doing with a giant pistol that some use as a rifle.
So...if you're doing the same with a similar gun...full post ahead ! I don't have a problem with sharing, as long as it is...like yours...similar.
Just don't be talking about some 4 foot long FX gun, I know...that no one's using that...as a pistol !!!

Mike

Very similar Mike, as of recently I'm rocking a Kral NP03 pistol style and getting awesome results -- "the poor man's Brocock" -- rsfrid "quoted" my post before I deleted, so its still there.
Anyway you Brocock guys need to stop quoting me I don't want to accidentally hijack this thread anymore. I've done what I can to un-hijack already lol

Kral.jpg

Very similar Mike, as of recently I'm rocking a Kral NP03 pistol style and getting awesome results -- "the poor man's Brocock" -- rsfrid "quoted" my post before I deleted, so its still there.
Anyway you Brocock guys need to stop quoting me I don't want to accidentally hijack this thread anymore. I've done what I can to un-hijack already lol

View attachment 339151
You’re good. Just was hoping this didn't wander too far from OP question.

Reactions: L.Leon
Ok, since we're opening this up to other giant pistols...
Anyone shooting the AEA SS, Semi-auto "pistol" ?

I'd given that some consideration a while back also. It ends up being longer than the Atomic RX, but a similar weight. Like the Kral, it's MUCH more inexpensive than the Atomic.
But how is the build quality ? Will these others stand up to the beating that the Atomic took in one of the videos ? Being towed behind a truck, down a dirt road. being thrown off a hill to the bottom of a ravine ?
Not that people are going to be doing this...but...

Mike

Messed with the trigger adjustment today.

I...thought...that it was good outta box, but yes, a little adjustment here and there went a long way.

Originally, the let-off seemed smooth and quick. But after some experimenting, apparently (I didn't take it all apart) the sear halves (the rubbing surfaces) are smooth to begin with, so that really didn't change. But the trigger creap/or pull time, is much faster now. Doing the set screw adjustment like the video suggests, makes the overall let-off, much nicer. THOUGH, it still is more of a tug than most higher end trigger mechanisms, it does have an overall...much better feel.
And as I always do, a little Lucas Gun Oil on all of the rubbing, and rotating parts, also helps with the smoothness.

Thanks for the heads up on doing this guys (L.Leon), much appreciated.

Mike

Reactions: L.Leon