How much money do you spend on average for most scopes?

Discovery scopes, are good optics
I have a Discovery scope and will not buy one again.

Money Spent… does not determine performance.

A scope is a place to keep your crosshairs until you need them. If they can’t do that, then all the high-end Schott glass and illumination and side focus and target turrets and etched reticles and gold rings and no hassle warranties don’t mean a hill of beans.

If it doesn’t retain zero, adjust correctly consistently, and return to zero every time…. then it’s garbage, regardless of money spent or name on the side.

That’s why the SS series kicks the collective heinies of most major brand scopes costing three to ten times the amount. They simply work, all the time. This 12x SS was on a very accurate .22lr for years, and has probably had the turrets spun a couple thousand times…. it still runs like a champ.

IMG_0034.jpeg

I have been shooting air rifles for many years now. I,m just your average Joe lunch bucket guy now retired. I started
with break barrels, & moved up into entree level pcps. Avenger,hatsan Fash AEA 357 standard Changer.Most of my scopes
are Amazon $60 & under. How many here are like me in regards to your air gun hobby? Just wondering? Are are you more
into the $1000 & above crowd?

🪰Fly
Less than $1000.00

The range I've spent on scopes is very wide. I have a very expensive compact MARCH, but I don't know if it any better with my eyes than a $500 scope? In fact, I would never spend the much on a scope again.

One of my favorites, now discontinued, are the $125 Nikon EFRs with AO. Clear glass,40 MM objective and 12" length.

I've owned two of the little MTC Viper Connects (like the MTC 10x30 SWAT). Very cool little scopes that weigh nothing. I sold them both and I can't remember why.

Except for the Nikon mentioned above I"m very concerned about glass quality in anything less than say $300 new I've owned a few Hawks. I have one now. Mine have been a bit less than clear with a bit of foggy hue.

I am 100% hunter oriented. I plink to stay sharp (pun intended) for hunting. I want quality build (reputation), 12" length, less than 20 ounces (sorry MARCH) , clear glass, and AO or side focus with side focus being my favorite. An illuminated reticle can make the early morning squirrel woods more fun.

Reactions: Mr.H
Also, I NEVER sell a firearm with the scope attached. I've found you generally get very little for the glass. This is one of the reasons used scopes can be good buys. If the scope is in near pristine shape it should mean it has been well-treated. A scratch on the lens is a no sale. Scratches (not just ring marks) on the top or end of the objective lens....no sale because the owner likely discovered his scoped rifle doesn't bounce.

Most of my experience is with rimfire powder burners. I sense that used scopes from airguns may be in better shape, but I think economy is a bit more of a mission of a lot of airgun folks. Of course exceptions abound.

Last edited:
I have been shooting air rifles for many years now. I,m just your average Joe lunch bucket guy now retired. I started
with break barrels, & moved up into entree level pcps. Avenger,hatsan Fash AEA 357 standard Changer.Most of my scopes
are Amazon $60 & under. How many here are like me in regards to your air gun hobby? Just wondering? Are are you more
into the $1000 & above crowd?

🪰Fly
Usually $500 or so for a scope.

There must be people as me on this board. I love shooting my air rifles as much as any. I very rarely post on
this subject on the board because of the brow beating I will get . I know you folks are right on what you say
about the higher dollar scopes. But there are the ones as I that would just give up the hobby if they had to spend
the money you do on scopes. My wife & I have being together 58 years. We both had good jobs & were able to pay
our home off, sold it & moved to the the lake. But again once you live on a fixed income no way l,m going to spend
much over a $100 on a scope. I,m blessed to still have good, not great eye sight, but can still hit what I shoot at
in 50 to 100 yards with my avenger 80% of the time with a $40 CvLife scope. If I had a $500 scope I most likely
would improve my accuracy of hits to 90 %. Do I get frustrated with the clarity & a repetiblity of this scope? Sure
I do. The funny thing i have ole WW2 Russian Mosin Nagant rifle with the side mount scope on it. I do not think it much
better than todays CvLife scope. I assume I must make do as the Russian in that war? 😄 🪰Fly.

check this out, this is what I,m talking about!

talking about.🤣.

Last edited:
Well you have to admit trying out new scopes is a fun learning experience, you know, going from budget to mid to best you can afford..lol. There's so many options these days you just have to test the waters every few years. I've never had the really high end scopes like Schmidt Bender, March, Swarovski, Zero Compromise...etc..etc. But I would like to look thru them if I get the chance.

You're asking for the AVERAGE amount of $$ spent...?

Mmmmh, that's a bit difficult.

I could add the amounts up, divide the sum by 8 and present you with a number — a meaningless number.
➠ See for yourself:

Scope 1: $20

Scope 2: $100

Scope 3: $400 MRSP (paid $342)

Scope 4: $179

Scope 5: $424

Scope 6: $500 MRSP (paid $284)

Scope 7: $900 MRSP (paid $520)

Scope 8: $1700 MRSP (paid $627)

You see where this is going, don't you?:

➊ The PRICES — they are going UP.

➋ ME? — I'm going down. Down the scope rabbit hole.
I know it's just September, but a March might soon be next. 😱
And it is already night — an NX8 might take my bank account forcefully over — it's the dark Nightforce. ⬛

Matthias