Other How much pistol @15 yards?

Malum

May 22, 2024
I set up a Birchwood Casey rimfire dueling tree in my back yard. This because I get bored shooting paper at the local firearms ranges and much prefer shooting steel. So I bought a Vevor pcp air compressor, Hatsan Jet 2 .22, and the dueling tree, to scratch that itch in my back yard. I am shooting off hand at 3" plates 15 yards distance. The Jet 2 is plenty accurate for 3" plates at that distance but it doesn't hit hard enough to reliably swing the plates around, even after applying lithium lube to the dueling tree. Ergo the question. How many foot lbs do I need. Maybe the Jet 2 in .25 would have gotten it done, but having shot the .22 for a couple months, I don't love the feel of the gun, + I am wrong handed for the lever, so still a lower level of satisfaction than I would like. Reading, I am not finding a specific answer anywhere to my main question. I suspect that a HW 44 in .22 might be a good choice for its accuracy and power, and the ability to switch the lever to the wrong hand, but I would like to read the opinion of the experienced folk on this forum. Also, in the $1K range of the HW 44 there might be far better choices of which I am unaware. Also looking at the .25 Viper and any GK1. For myself the only issues I have with the GK1 are, it's more of a hand cannon than a pistol, and my Vevor only pushes to 4500 PSI.

Reactions: Bandito
I would reach out to Birchwood Casey directly to see if they have a spec. Not sure how heavy the paddles are so no way to judge the energy required to swing 'em. I have a rimfire dueling tree as well. Not Birchwood Casey, 3" paddles, no lube. The only 22 cal that will swing it is my Red Wolf shooting the 25.39 Jumbo Monsters. Lighter pellets won't swing the paddles. I haven't put the Red Wolf on the chrony so not sure how much energy it's creating. Maybe I can check the energy tmrw and update this post.

Two things I would do...

First, smooth and polish the moving parts of those paddles and hinges to a mirror shine, and then lube with specialized light lube.

And second, buy a Huben GK1 in .25 caliber along with a big stack of tins of JSB Heavies 34 grain pellets. This should be sufficient to move that tree even like it is now. Hardly a hand cannon, but gives good feedback if turned up hot for the first few shots. I use a 4500 psi compressor with mine and a medium power tune of 800 fps for a full magazine of shots and fill it back up each time. I don't even fill that much pressure, maybe around 4000 psi.

Two things I would do...

First, smooth and polish the moving parts of those paddles and hinges to a mirror shine, and then lube with specialized light lube.

And second, buy a Huben GK1 in .25 caliber along with a big stack of tins of JSB Heavies 34 grain pellets. This should be sufficient to move that tree even like it is now. Hardly a hand cannon, but gives good feedback if turned up hot for the first few shots. I use a 4500 psi compressor with mine and a medium power tune of 800 fps for a full magazine of shots and fill it back up each time. I don't even fill that much pressure, maybe around 4000 psi.
There's no killl like overkill. 800fps/34 gr = 48 ft lbs. = the anemic end of .22 short power. Consesnus: sound judgement for suburban backyard target shooting? I would like to think "yes" but not at risk to neighbors. Backstop is a 7' privacy fence. The ability to tune the GK1 probably makes it the answer regardless. It takes what it takes to get it done.

Last edited:
i love shooting steel with my .22 gk1. I have mine set to shoot 28.5gr VK slugs at 850fps for one full mag from 320bar to 200bar. They ring my steel spinners pretty nicely, but it does take a square hit to fully flip the 4" circle.
it's about 45 ft/lbs energy
Backstop is a 7' privacy fence @20 yards. 18.4 grain .22 pellets from the Jet 2 that miss the dueling tree at 15 yards, imbed to their skirts in the privacy fence 5 yards further down range. Do you see a problem?

Backstop is a 7' privacy fence @20 yards. 18.4 grain .22 pellets from the Jet 2 that miss the dueling tree at 15 yards, imbed to their skirts in the privacy fence 5 yards further down range. Do you see a problem?
To be blunt I do see several safety issues here.
  • You're shooting a dueling tree with moving paddles. You're ricochet and spawling direction cannot be 100% predicted.
  • You're privacy fence will eventually wear through even with the lower powered Jet.
  • When you move up to something like a Huben, with enough power to push the paddles, any misses will blow right through that little fence.
I personally feel you need a more robust backstop solution.

• You're shooting a dueling tree with moving paddles. You're ricochet and spawling direction cannot be 100% predicted.
  • You're privacy fence will eventually wear through even with the lower powered Jet.
  • When you move up to something like a Huben, with enough power to push the paddles, any misses will blow right through that little fence.
Horse mats are a good backstop , but then your using very high power for a suburban yard . I would suggest a steel target designed for yards . BBgun targets , ones that hang down so the pellets hit the ground. KYL targets are fun ,and you can DIY a KYL target .

Last edited:
I think you are correct. A simple project that ain't simple upon review. Thank you.

The dueling tree sounds like the main issue here. I suggest toning down your targets to the Crosman field target. I can trip this thing with a 3 fpe pistol at thirty yards.

The HW44 is quite awesome, I have mine set to left handed. Very accurate, can smack cans all day long at 55 yards with a red dot.

Look into the Crosman 1701p for a great backyard shooter. Can also be set to left handed. Bone stock it can reset the squirrels at 20 yards. Gets 50 shots per fill.

Pistol range at 20 yards;

IMG_2029.jpeg

The mighty HW44

IMG_1488.jpeg

The LP400 at 30 yards
IMG_1781.jpeg

Moral of the story, you don't need a lot of gun to have fun in your backyard.

Hey, that hand cannon thing you mention — it's not a thing....

My .22 GK1 is tuned for sub-12FPE with 14gr Sniper Light's (that's 610fps).
And at that low power I haven't had a jam, no complaints. And lots of shots, too.

Now, if that power isn't going to turn the paddles — well, just turn the power screw a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, and try again. That doesn't make it into a "hand cannon".
Start upping the weight of the pellets to get more momentum when the paddles get hit.

The GK1 is so nicely short and handy, it seems to have no equal at this point. And the price isn't exhorbitant.

Yeah, a removable magazine would be nice, but with a better loading gate it's quite doable.

Cheers, 😃
Matthias

Hey, that hand cannon thing you mention — it's not a thing....

My .22 GK1 is tuned for sub-12FPE with 14gr Sniper Light's (that's 610fps).
And at that low power I haven't had a jam, no complaints. And lots of shots, too.

Now, if that power isn't going to turn the paddles — well, just turn the power screw a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, and try again. That doesn't make it into a "hand cannon".
Start upping the weight of the pellets to get more momentum when the paddles get hit.

The GK1 is so nicely short and handy, it seems to have no equal at this point. And the price isn't exhorbitant.

Yeah, a removable magazine would be nice, but with a better loading gate it's quite doable.

Cheers, 😃
Matthias
The factory loading gate is much better than the after market substitutes.

Reactions: MrP and Bandito
The GK1 power can be substantial. Shooting this pistol in your yard with only a wooden fence between your yard and your close neighbor is very dangerous. My . 25 GK1's will destroy 1/8" /3mm steel targets at 25 meters using 25gr JSB pellets at 700 fps. Stick to BBs.
Other members have contributed constructive suggestions on improved backstops. "Stick to BBs" is just patronizing.

Last edited: