Other How often do regulators need rebuilding?

I have 3 PCP guns 2 are regulated. Last few days I setup my shooting bench and checked the accuracy and speed of the pellets. The Edgun R5M and AGT Vixen are regulated guns were bad at more than 1.5" to 2" at 33 yards. The last time I checked they were much better like 1/3" or less. I pulled out the Marauder to check am I that lousy of a shot or are the others guns bad. My 1st and cheapest gun the unregulated Marauder was the most accurate like 1/2" at 33 yards with a low un-regulated ES. The velocities of the R5M and Vixen had ES over 50 fps at times. So I think the regulators are bad and need re-building.

The Vixen is 2021 and the Edgun is 2018. Never rebuilt the regulators. Maybe they would last longer if I didn't fill to 300 bar and leave them like that for months! They never leaked any air.

Funny, the cheapest gun the Marauder I don't use 1+ year, just works, no leaks, zero stays put, no reg problems, but the velocity dropped from last I checked from 840 fps to 810 fps.

Last edited:
I have 3 PCP guns 2 are regulated. Last few days I setup my shooting bench and checked the accuracy and speed of the pellets. The Edgun R5M and AGT Vixen are regulated guns were bad at more than 1.5" to 2" at 33 yards. The last time I checked they were much better like 1/3" or less. I pulled out the Marauder to check am I that lousy of a shot or are the others guns bad. My 1st and cheapest gun the unregulated Marauder was the most accurate like 1/2" at 33 yards with a low un-regulated ES. The velocities of the R5M and Vixen had ES over 50 fps at times. So I think the regulators are bad and need re-building.

The Vixen is 2021 and the Edgun is 2018. Never rebuilt the regulators. Maybe they would last longer if I didn't fill to 300 bar and leave them like that for months! They never leaked any air.

Funny, the cheapest gun the Marauder I don't use 1+ year, just works, no leaks, zero stays put, no reg problems, but the velocity dropped from last I checked from 840 fps to 810 fps.
O-rings will deteriorate over a period of time when subject to constant stress (thru pressure differential).
They gradually lose pliability, eventually become brittle and no longer seal reliably. I have removed
very old rings (8-10 yr) that actually came out in pieces........looked like cracked bakelite.
If you've got 5 years worth of service, it's likely time to change them.

Of the 25 or more PCPs I've owned over the years (only have 10 now), I've only had to rebuild a regulator once on my 5 year old Crown Mk2. If I hadn't started manipulating when I changed from .22 to .177 and detuned to 20 fpe, it probably would still be ok. All it took was 6 O rings and some patience. Jeff at Trenier was a great help here.

The only one I've rebuilt was in a new Caiman X. It is a Huma. I did not put new parts in it, just corrected what had been done wrong in initial assembly. It had way too much silicone grease on the belleville washers and no grease on the O-ring under the adjuster screw. With those issues addressed it works great. Last couple strings I measured (both 20 plus shots) had an ES of 8.

I was a bit leery about working on this area of a new gun but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I watched some you-tubes first and they helped. I knew the Huma needed attention because the shot string would start out slower, rise for awhile, and then fall back down. Standard unregulated shot string.