How to go about making money Airgun pesting?

I tool a chance 1 day while driving down a country road near my rural home and stopped in at a property where I had observed a large number of ground squirrels. Upon chatting with the property owner, who was thrilled in my interest, I was asked my fees, per squirrel, hourly, etc. I replied I charge nothing for my services and that I was just happy for the opportunity for the "days afield" it would give me. Immediately, he suggested to contact his neighbor, who own an adjacent hill property that over looked his open field , which I did seeing the opportunity to have the high ground. He worked out, once again with open arms.
In my state, 1 is required to have special licenses othe that hunting a hunting license to get paid for pest control. Fees, examines, you get the picture, to much red tape to deal with.
Imo, just go have fun and figuire another way of making money to support our habit.

Reactions: qball and SHOMER
Be sure to check legal ramifications before moving into professional pest control.
Myself, through a very funny and at the same time scary incident involving law enforcement while "plinking"
Evidently, I was spotted by someone carrying my HW100 and was reported as an armed sniper in the hill country in the rural central California. I was surprised to have 3 cars of highway patrol roll up on me , stop, and all of a sudden I was facing the muzzles of 5 firearms pointed at me. After sorting it out and a good laugh with the lawmen, I continued my "plinking"
Now, prior to "plinking" , I will call the sheriff's despatch and let them know where I am and my activities so I won't be facing a swat team. Like wise , when I done, I will contact dispatch so they can clear with call.
Good luck on your endeavor.

Keep in mind that once you turn something that you do for enjoyment/pleasure into a business (that's essentially what you're doing) the onus of responsibility is on you. Liability insurance, written permission, hunting & all other required licenses should be a priority. I've considered this many times but I don't want to turn something I love to do into a responsibility I HAVE to do. Good luck

Reactions: SHOMER and L.Leon
So I see that alot of your are against charging for it or making money from it. You would think people with pest problems would be willing to give a few bucks even ti help out for ammo or your time to help them with there problem. I am in the county no farms or places near me to for me to even help someone out for free wouldbhave to travel. I guess for now will stick to pest in my yard n my targets lol. Inky I’ll I can find places that are local farms not to far that would allow me to shoot there or take care of there problems

So I see that alot of your are against charging for it or making money from it. You would think people with pest problems would be willing to give a few bucks even ti help out for ammo or your time to help them with there problem. I am in the county no farms or places near me to for me to even help someone out for free wouldbhave to travel. I guess for now will stick to pest in my yard n my targets lol. Inky I’ll I can find places that are local farms not to far that would allow me to shoot there or take care of there problems
@eobertnadia84 For more variety in responses or perhaps to see how this idea has worked out for other AGN members try performing an AGN search using keywords: “pesting fees,” “pesting business,” or “getting paid for pest removal” and see what turns up. Similar questions have been asked before and I’ve seen more varied dialog in previous threads. Good luck in your endeavors.

@robertnadia84, it's not that many are "against" charging for your pesting. They are simply pointing out that if you go that "business route". You'll have to fulfill all the legal requirements to do so in your state. The trust, and privilege of being able to safely hunt or pest on someone else's property... Is the payment... Good luck!

Owners of the "permissions" where I shoot have all asked at one time or another if they could compensate me for gas or supplies I've used. Though it would help to offset things financially I've always told them that the access to & the privilege of shooting/hunting on the property is enough. If I go through 30 pellets on a day out that would be a lot! Not like paper shooting where you can go through hundreds in an hour.

I do charge. You ARE looking at a business license, insurance and taxes. The airgun is one tool in pest removal. It is a small percentage of the work. Most of my nuisance removal jobs primarily require trapping.
ETA- those willing to pay for shooting don't want recreational guys working the property. Primarily commercial accounts.

Last edited:
Wondering and thinking is there a way to make some extra money Airgun pesting? How would I go about doing this? And how to find clients? Am I going to need permits or am I ok as long as I have permission from property owners? And also located in Maryland so not sure if that matters as well.
Doubtful you could make any money at it, farmers already have decent pest control schemes in place. Most of the guys you see doing it on YouTube seem to be property owners or friends/family of the farmer.

Be sure to check legal ramifications before moving into professional pest control.
Myself, through a very funny and at the same time scary incident involving law enforcement while "plinking"
Evidently, I was spotted by someone carrying my HW100 and was reported as an armed sniper in the hill country in the rural central California. I was surprised to have 3 cars of highway patrol roll up on me , stop, and all of a sudden I was facing the muzzles of 5 firearms pointed at me. After sorting it out and a good laugh with the lawmen, I continued my "plinking"
Now, prior to "plinking" , I will call the sheriff's despatch and let them know where I am and my activities so I won't be facing a swat team. Like wise , when I done, I will contact dispatch so they can clear with call.
Good luck on your endeavor.
I laughed out loud at this story and thought, that all it needed was someone screaming " He hates these cans,stay away from the cans!"

Last edited:
If you really want to ruin something you love turn it into a business. Not the same as loving your job.
When I was much younger I shot competitive 3D archery and loved it. Loved to shoot for any reason and loved to bow hunt.
I was offered a chance to be a sponsored shooter for a factory and jumped at the opportunity. Within three years I was done shooting 3D. I have never gone back not even for fun.
A lot of other posters have mentioned the need for liability insurance. that is a real concern. Unfortunately, we live in a litigious society now and the possibility for legal problems would be more than I could endure in the name of fun.
There are plenty of other ways to scrape together some extra money for air and lead