• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA HP Max in Europe has a regulator!?

Received my HP Max .50 today. There seems to be some differences with the normal US version.
It has 2 gauges at the bottom and the fill port is on the side of the tube.

Does this mean it has a regulator? No manual with the gun, so totally in the dark here.

20220714_152527.jpg

Reactions: rigbymauser
Is this a full-power Max like we have in the US? Maybe that’s there to limit output to meet regulations or laws?
It should be full power. If they want to limit the power because of laws they would put in a smaller transfer port or hammerspring i guess?
I don't see what double airgauges and a different place of the filling port has to do with that, too much of a hassle for the manufacturer for a simple power limitation.

20220714_172850.jpg

Last edited:
I checked for myself what's going on here so removed the airtube holder from the breech, by losening the allen bolts. Well, for starters somebody at the factory thought it was a good idea to insert the airtube holder while the allen bolts were already turned in, because they destroyed the o-rings. Rubber all over the place. Nice!

20220714_191854.jpg

Sorry - I meant maybe the extra gauge was for a regulator which would be one (expensive) way of limiting power but probably not a likely scenario.

Do the gauges read the same value? When one drops by say 50 bar does the other follow suit?

I know the gauge area on the Max was a problem and I was warned never to mess with the gauge when the gun was new, and aea released a small part (collar for the gauge)to replace the one the guns came with, which failed after 200 shots or so. Maybe they are moving the gauge from the receiver to the tube to fix that on their next version, and your (obviously inexperienced) assembly person mixed up parts from the old and new guns?

I think the max is clearly still being fine tuned / developed because the two I had (and returned due to leaks) were not identical in some of the small details.

From what I saw the max needed 2-3 changes:

1. Relocated non leaky gauge
2. Peek or more durable valve seat
3. More durable magazine (they explode if bolt isn’t locked down)
4. The check valve for the fill port started leaking on both Max guns and the screw to tighten or loosen was not adjustable - it was already turned as tight as it could go

May I ask where you bought that gun? Was it Bin Tac?

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Sorry - I meant maybe the extra gauge was for a regulator which would be one (expensive) way of limiting power but probably not a likely scenario.

Do the gauges read the same value? When one drops by say 50 bar does the other follow suit?

I know the gauge area on the Max was a problem and I was warned never to mess with the gauge when the gun was new, and aea released a small part (collar for the gauge)to replace the one the guns came with, which failed after 200 shots or so. Maybe they are moving the gauge from the receiver to the tube to fix that on their next version, and your (obviously inexperienced) assembly person mixed up parts from the old and new guns?

I think the max is clearly still being fine tuned / developed because the two I had (and returned due to leaks) were not identical in some of the small details.
O-rings are finito so can't fill the gun. What also is missing is what it seems like a very tiny allen bolt for degassing the airtube so it wouldn't hold air anyway.
Yeah this one was assembled by their best employé...

I’ve gotten amazing support from Bin Tac, hope AEA treats you right over there.

I will definitely be looking back to see what the explanation turns out to be.
Removed the airtube and there is no reg inside, but it looks like there is thread for a (later optional?) regulator.

See picture 1.

On picture 2 you can see the small hole which i thought was meant for degassing the airtube and missing a little allen bolt (because you can look from the outside to the inside), but the hole has no thread!
So what is missing there? I guess here you will be able to adjust the regulator from the outside.

It looks like i have some kind of the first ones that has the option of placing a regulator, but they haven't finished it/it's incomplete!

Without some plug that closes the small hole, i will never be able to fill the airtube.

20220715_004709.jpg

20220715_004544.jpg

What the heck? That would be hilarious if you hadn’t paid for it. The person building it must’ve been drunk or having a seizure or something. So nobody along the way thought to try gassing that thing up…
AEA Spain tells me they are going to send me a "plug" that will close that little hole. They don't have it yet, it must come from China.
I wonder what plug that will be because the hole has no inner thread.

They didn't explain my question why it has 2 airgauges and if this has something to do with a regulator, they just say "it has no regulator".

All clear now. This was originally a restricted gun for the European markt with a built in fixed regulator. But where i live, Netherlands, power is unlimited. So what AEA Spain did for me was take out the regulator but this leaves a small hole.
They want to send me a "plug" to close this hole, but i already wrote them this isn't gonna work because there is no thread in the hole.
Also i don't want 2 airgauges, that's just stupid if it hasn't a regulator.

So i asked them if they could send me an unregulated airtubeholder with the fill port at the bottom and just 1 gauge, this would solve my problem.
Else this gun is going back.

Well, for starters somebody at the factory thought it was a good idea to insert the airtube holder while the allen bolts were already turned in, because they destroyed the o-rings. Rubber all over the place. Nice!

View attachment 275392
I saw on Youtube that more people have this issue.
Yours might still hold air, but as soon as you pull the air tank holder out of the breech the chance that you'll notice damaged orings is big.
It's not an assembly fault i thought it was, it's a design fault. The ports inside are very sharp and cut the orings if you shove the tankholder in the breech.