Ingenious yes but not the way you explained. The sear does not allow the spring to push the striker/sleeve forward when the sear drops.

At 3000 psi, the sleeve is pushing with ~118# on the striker/sear. After a small movement rearward (against spring), the sleeve grabs the internal piston and the force rearward becomes ~245#. This force lifts poppet from the seat.

Pressure drop allows the spring to return the assembly to its seat.

As far as no need for a plenum, in none regulated guns, the tank is the plenum. In regulated form, a plenum is still needed.

Dave

Ingenious yes but not the way you explained. The sear does not allow the spring to push the striker/sleeve forward when the sear drops.

At 3000 psi, the sleeve is pushing with ~118# on the striker/sear. After a small movement rearward (against spring), the sleeve grabs the internal piston and the force rearward becomes ~245#. This force lifts poppet from the seat.

Pressure drop allows the spring to return the assembly to its seat.

As far as no need for a plenum, in none regulated guns, the tank is the plenum. In regulated form, a plenum is still needed.

Dave
What does #118 mean and #245? If # means pounds, then where did you get those numbers? Lastly then, what is the purpose of the bleed hole? Just asking.

I think the above valve explanation is incorrect. Careful examination of the valve assembly reveals a very small bleed hole at the back of the poppet stem. I believe tank air pressure through this hole acts on the stem of the poppet to hold the valve closed. When the sear releases the striker the spring forces the floating sleeve forward blocking the bleed hole. Then the tank pressure acting on the back of the poppet head (note the head shape) is removed and the same tank pressure acting on the poppet head exceeds the pressure now blocked by the sleeve lifting the the poppet off the seat violently throwing the poppet and sleeve , as well as the striker to the rear compressing the spring. The spring then returns the whole assembly forward, which uncovers the bleed hole via poppet inertia, allowing the tank pressure to again force the poppet closed against its seat. Simultaneously, the striker is recaptured by the trigger sear ready for the next shot.

This design is brilliant, as it eliminates the need of a plenum, as used in conventional PCP guns. With this design, charge volume is controlled by tank pressure and cycle time. . . . . .ingenious! So yeah, that spring tension is very important, it controls charge volume along with tank pressure. Think waste air. My thinking is that if you wish to use very high air pressure for max power, that spring needs to be a bit stiffer.
The valve is not closed with pressure. When pressurized it wants to open, the only thing holding the valve closed is the striker. If you don’t believe me, I have a simple experiment for you to run. Degas the pistol then take the striker out. Now try to fill up the pistol. You will not be able to fill it. Because the striker the only thing holding the valve closed.

“When the sear releases the striker the spring forces the floating sleeve forward blocking the bleed hole”

That small striker spring is not strong enough to “force the floating sleeve forward”.

I applaud your effort to understand the hammerless system. I suggest you watch Gregor’s video explaining the way this platform works.

Reactions: Nutcracker
What does #118 mean and #245? If # means pounds, then where did you get those numbers? Lastly then, what is the purpose of the bleed hole? Just asking.
The # is pound. The sleeve od area minus the sleeve id area at 3000psi. The approximation sign is used because I am not 100% on the sealing area used internally on the sleeve (since it is not easily user serviceable/taken apart). As well, not being able to take apart, I cannot speak to the bleed, I have an idea but it’s just that.

The point however is that the force created by the air is substantial and easily overcomes the return spring.

Dave

The # is pound. The sleeve od area minus the sleeve id area at 3000psi. The approximation sign is used because I am not 100% on the sealing area used internally on the sleeve (since it is not easily user serviceable/taken apart). As well, not being able to take apart, I cannot speak to the bleed, I have an idea but it’s just that.

The point however is that the force created by the air is substantial and easily overcomes the return spring.

Dave
I watched Gregor's video and the part I got wrong was the function of the closing valve, which I had not considered.

I meant the factory ones from huben. The ones installed with an Allen.
Well that's disapointing, there should have been communication explaining why they were advertised as included but did not ship? Can't help but think now about the Ares video, where Matt? said he is not waiting for the adapters to come in and is making his own. Not sure why he would go to that trouble unless he knew they are not going to be included?

The NEAG ones were the factory (Huben) ones. In the questionnaire, it was mentioned that the machinists in the factory in China made a mistake and they had to mill down the threads (or something) leading to customers having a choice to get the “fixed” version or wait for a more polished 2nd batch. I opted for the fixed version but already had one from Zach at Ares which is much better and is attached via an Allen wrench. I believe the one without Allen attachment is the Kelly KrazCool version.

I meant the factory ones from huben. The ones installed with an Allen.
From my understanding, the ones I’m talking about are the factory ones. The first batch had something wrong so I opted to wait. I received mine last month, not at home to check the Allen key question, seems it had a hole to insert a rod from the side. I didn’t install it, just put it in my case.

Dave

I received mine from New England. I recall doing a questionnaire asking which one I wanted, the batch with anodize issues or wait for one with no issues. I chose the latter. It came last month.

Dave
May I request your posting an image of the adapter you received from them? I never got mine and no word when it will be sent. Have you already installed it and how do you like it? Any issues with it? Thanks...

From my understanding, the ones I’m talking about are the factory ones. The first batch had something wrong so I opted to wait. I received mine last month, not at home to check the Allen key question, seems it had a hole to insert a rod from the side. I didn’t install it, just put it in my case.

Dave
From the pics I see online the factory ones don't have a hole going through them to tighten.