Huben Slug - Peanut .22 caliber

I tried knurling one with a bastard file. Just rolled it under the file with light pressure. It appears to be enough to result in a slightly snug fit in the mag. It now takes a little push to get the slug seated and it doesn't fall right back out when shaken. Might be good enough to salvage the tin.
I'm starting to notice some inconsistencies in GK1 mag sizes. Mine wouldn't fall out of the mag unless I smacked the gun from the back. Otherwise I could rotate the mag. Have you had this problem with pellets as well?

I'm starting to notice some inconsistencies in GK1 mag sizes. Mine wouldn't fall out of the mag unless I smacked the gun from the back. Otherwise I could rotate the mag. Have you had this problem with pellets as well?

I've only tried a few pellet types so far. All have had a wide enough skirt to stay stuck in the mag.

Using a more coarse file, I was able to knurl some .217" 17.5gr NSAs, enough to be a snug fit. Shot several mags of them without a hiccup. I was shooting at night with a thermal, so I wasn't focused on long range accuracy. Good enough for a rat though. Handy because I have a 1000 of them and the GK1 is my only .22 at the moment.

.219" Zans and NSAs get here today. I hope I can use them unmodified, but I'll have a backup plan if I can't.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I didn’t suggest it for the peanut because I wasn’t sure if the driving bands would align correctly but since you mentioned the nsa’s and knurling, I’ll throw this out there. I knurl smaller slugs up using two opposing stacks of utility knife blades. They are adjusted to only cut a specific depth and so the results are repeatable. The slugs fill the bore without the added friction, center in the chamber better and hold the lube of your choice better.

Dave
IMG_5606.jpeg
IMG_5610.jpeg

Using a more coarse file, I was able to knurl some .217" 17.5gr NSAs, enough to be a snug fit. Shot several mags of them without a hiccup. I was shooting at night with a thermal, so I wasn't focused on long range accuracy. Good enough for a rat though. Handy because I have a 1000 of them and the GK1 is my only .22 at the moment.

.219" Zans and NSAs get here today. I hope I can use them unmodified, but I'll have a backup plan if I can't.
I tried .219 zans ad they were loose in my mag cycled okay, but didn't shoot well enough for me to keep shooting them.

I just looked back through my pictures.And it seems that your apolo slugs are a little undersized actually, mine come up as 5.62mm or .2212.

I will have to try the knurling hack one of these days.

I didn’t suggest it for the peanut because I wasn’t sure if the driving bands would align correctly but since you mentioned the nsa’s and knurling, I’ll throw this out there. I knurl smaller slugs up using two opposing stacks of utility knife blades. They are adjusted to only cut a specific depth and so the results are repeatable. The slugs fill the bore without the added friction, center in the chamber better and hold the lube of your choice better.

DaveView attachment 491999View attachment 491998
That is genius. I will be making one of these asap. Knurling with a file on the Peanuts worked really well... it only affects the drive bands and they are easy to keep on axis when rolling them.

the Peanuts work very well in my NTM K1, i dont have to seat them just load and go.....
5 shot group at 50yrds, all touching using my zulus
i have about gone thru a 250ct tin and not one jam.
just placed an order for several more tins.
here in the next 3 weeks or so, when we get some cooler temps at night the crows will be very active
right before dark.
and i will put the peanuts on a real test out to 100yrds. :sneaky:

Last edited: