Hunting Rig Question (Wood Stock Treatment)

I'm getting my new Lelya ready for a hunt next month deep in the Cascade range. I started treating the walnut stock with some light coats of Tru Oil.

I normally treat my forest axes / hatchets with pure Linseed oil, but I realized that all of my PB hunting rifles (who's stocks that I actually cared about) are synthetic, so haven't ever had to treat a wood stock on a rifle before lol

That said, I'm not a fan of shiny gloss finishes. I've applied just enough Tru oil where the wood is no longer "thirsty" for it. I'm thinking about putting some wax on it now to finish the job. My goal is to keep the stock protected from moisture/ rain, and from semi-superficial damage. 

Would a layer of gun stock wax be a good idea for this?

I would say stop using the True Oil right now and lightly scuff with steel wool then just use your linseed oil from now on. 
Me personally, I use True oil on gun stocks specifically because you can get that high gloss build up with multiple coats of it. (If that’s the look I’m going for). And I too have done dozens of axe handles using linseed oil.
So yeah. Linseed oil will protect your gun just fine. And not give you that high gloss look. 

Thanks for the suggestions 👍 The bowling alley wax idea sounds intriguing! Minwax also rings some bells, I'll have to flip a coin on that 😂 

I had applied just enough Tru oil where the wood sprung to life. Damn is this walnut nice! It was kind of like polishing up an old chrome fender on a '59 El Dorado or something hehe

As far as that goes, I could probably take a bit of steel wool to it right now and have a solid base for my pure linseed oil. The problem though is time - I'm running out of it quickly! I have a window this weekend for target shooting, that will probably be the last chance I have to tune this Lelya, and get this little 1-8 ATACR fully dialed in for my hunting trip.

The LO that I used takes a LOT of time to cure .. especially this time if year here in the PNW. If it doesn't cure right, then it's bad 😭 (but it's excellent when it cures properly). This is the stuff that I've been using btw..

1571984321_3564829725db293c1403838.66472475_8C655B78-D6E1-4FE4-9678-9B3B6F1C9A5A.jpeg