Daystate ֍ Huntsman Revere —vs.— ֍ Wolverine R

Going on looks, the wolverine stock just doesn't do it for me. The revere looks, feels, handles, and shoots like a dream.

It's kind of like a woman. If I don't like the way she looks, why the heck would I want to touch her?
I thought that was what the Pillow case was for? :ROFLMAO:

I have the Revere which I am ekstremly pleased with. It does a healthy 23 ft/ibs with 22grain slugs in .177.

I have been in the marked for a long time I have considered a W2 HP which officially does 30 ft/ibs. However to invest an additionally $$$ to get 7 more ft/ibs..naaa not really. However if the W2HP could be modified to +40 ft/ibs then I would be interested. The Daystate RW with Heliboard2 can deliver the power I want for further reach. I am a mechanical guy. I would take a Pontiac 79 T/A over a new Tesla. at anytime....

Reactions: BABz58
I have the Revere which I am ekstremly pleased with. It does a healthy 23 ft/ibs with 22grain slugs in .177.

I have been in the marked for a long time I have considered a W2 HP which officially does 30 ft/ibs. However to invest an additionally $$$ to get 7 more ft/ibs..naaa not really. However if the W2HP could be modified to +40 ft/ibs then I would be interested. The Daystate RW with Heliboard2 can deliver the power I want for further reach. I am a mechanical guy. I would take a Pontiac 79 T/A over a new Tesla. at anytime....
The problem with comparing a Red Wolf to anything else is that it applies full bottle pressure to the projectile, but in a contolled way. An unregulated airgun does this also but when you throw a regulator in it, you're restricting the pressure and flow in most cases. That's where the plenum becomes important. There are versions of the Wolverine that aren't regulated but I've not seen anyone put a 177 barrel on them. The regulated versions have a small plenum... same as the Revere, and are not really intended for monster power. They really shine where they're intended to be, though.

I've had best luck with heavy 177 slugs in the Red Wolf over anything else, including the Delta for the above reason. It takes pl 12 on the Heliboard and full fill to get 1000 fps with the 20 gn NSA's. Zan's may be a little easier as they're softer, but I've not tried them yet. I've let my testing lapse on the 20 gn NSA's but REALLY wanted to find the solution for the leading and have not yet. In the small window after seasoning the barrel before leading builds up, I've shot the smallest groups I've ever shot with ANYTHING at 100 yds, even my bolt 223 with Berger bullets... about a pencil sized hole. I've even shot pretty small things at about 300 yds with them... they just need a SERIOUS airgun to push them.

Back to the OP, I've only owned a Wolverine, of the two in question, but have repaired a couple of Regals/Revere's. The Revere's are beautiful, no question, and handle well, but I like the weight and ergos of the Wolverine more. So does my wife. I find the Revere similar to the Tarantula... looks nice and feels great in the hands but has a limited application window so isn't the best for our shooting preferences.

My $0.02...
Bob

The problem with comparing a Red Wolf to anything else is that it applies full bottle pressure to the projectile, but in a contolled way. An unregulated airgun does this also but when you throw a regulator in it, you're restricting the pressure and flow in most cases. That's where the plenum becomes important. There are versions of the Wolverine that aren't regulated but I've not seen anyone put a 177 barrel on them. The regulated versions have a small plenum... same as the Revere, and are not really intended for monster power. They really shine where they're intended to be, though.

I've had best luck with heavy 177 slugs in the Red Wolf over anything else, including the Delta for the above reason. It takes pl 12 on the Heliboard and full fill to get 1000 fps with the 20 gn NSA's. Zan's may be a little easier as they're softer, but I've not tried them yet. I've let my testing lapse on the 20 gn NSA's but REALLY wanted to find the solution for the leading and have not yet. In the small window after seasoning the barrel before leading builds up, I've shot the smallest groups I've ever shot with ANYTHING at 100 yds, even my bolt 223 with Berger bullets... about a pencil sized hole. I've even shot pretty small things at about 300 yds with them... they just need a SERIOUS airgun to push them.

Back to the OP, I've only owned a Wolverine, of the two in question, but have repaired a couple of Regals/Revere's. The Revere's are beautiful, no question, and handle well, but I like the weight and ergos of the Wolverine more. So does my wife. I find the Revere similar to the Tarantula... looks nice and feels great in the hands but has a limited application window so isn't the best for our shooting preferences.

My $0.02...
Bob
I know the older RW shot very well with slugs but with the new ART "barrelstuff" its my impression when reading reviews it doesn`t do as good. I wouldn`t mind spend $3K on an airgun that can shoot slugs like lazer, but its a lot money if it ends up as a pelletshooter. (I have that one).

Reactions: BABz58
As far as I know, the 177 HP is still a 1 in 17 twist polygonal bore. The new 28" may be different but I don't have one. Soren may check in with more info as he has the ltest offering.
My particular one does well with all the weights in both choked and unchoked poly's that I have for it. Note that the 20 gn NSA's need to be PUSHED for them to do well in mine... 975 fps is where I try to be with them and that's pl 11 on my Heliboard. I suspect from trying the twist calculator that 1 in 17 is marginal but they're stable and accurate for a LONG ways when pushed.