N/A HW100 unfixable leak ?

Bought this gun back in the winter after a short time it started to leak pretty bad so I sent it to Shane at AOA for complete reseal, well in March gun developed a leak in warranty period and Shane sent me a return label to have it fixed. Gun has been back 2 times since then supposedly fixed both times and it is now sitting in my closet leaking down again, Ive shot 2-3 magazines thru it in less then a week.
Ive about lost faith in this gun getting fixed by them and on top of that Ive paid for a 300.00 reseal.
I emailed Shane and told him it was leaking again and that I was starting to believe it cant be fixed, have not heard anything back for going on 2 days..
AOA has great customer service I just wish they could get my d@#m gun fixed. It was even kept over a week longer after it was fixed this time to verify no leaks, I dont get it. OK done venting.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Hmm...interesting.

I have an HW100 Bullpup.
By all checks mine's leaking at the valve just inside of the receiver block, just inside of where the cylinder is screwed in.

I originally replaced just the o-ring that goes into the cylinder. Nothing. I cleaned and replaced all (two) o-rings on the valve (for lack of better words. Nothing. I found a note...somewhere that said something about a larger "cross section" o-ring in the position that goes inside of the cylinder. yeah, nothing.

I've replaced them both dry and with a light silicone coating on them. Still leaks.
ONE of these days, I'll just replaces all of the o-rings, and see what happens. Too bad, because I like the gun, but it only lasted about 6 months after purchase, before it started leaking. The leak is big enough to empty a "full" cylinder, over night.

Good luck with yours. Let me know what you find with yours.

Mike

Did either of you ballon the barrel to see if it’s leaking out the barrel?
The barrel, no. I did use a "leak detection" (a little more than soapy water !), spray around other areas of the gun. The air cylinder was clean, as was most of the receiver area. The lower receiver did show bubbles. There is what "looks like", an open hole in the bottom of the receiver block. Even though it "looks" bad, no air leaks there.
There is a "0-ring" leak fix" diagram that I found, showing the "most often leaks" in the receiver area. I did replace o-rings #1 through #3 most probable locations by where my receiver was leaking, without good results.
The remainder of the "most probable locations" are deeper in the receiver. I haven't gotten that far yet.

Spending most of my time on a new hot rod/drag racer that I bought.

Mike

Did either of you ballon the barrel to see if it’s leaking out the barrel?
Yes have done the balloon test multiple times here no leak from barrel or fill port, not sure what AOA did when they had it. If I had wanted to mess with it I wouldnt have paid to have it done. While I have taken all my springers except 3 apart and installed kits in them with great results I have no desire to mess with high pressure air.

Diagnostics is generally spotty at best for a lot of service facilities. This is wide spread in the world of mechanical devises.
Just replace or go threw it again is standard fare most instances. Proper diagnostics takes experience and time working with each & every mechanical devise a tech might have come across their bench. The HW 100/110 series is by no miens a simple devise and has many layers of sub areas sealed up via o-rings.
Tho do put trust in AOA to figure out what they have missed, as perhaps the Tech/s have missed something, that once found likely won't be overlooked in the future.

Hang tough !!! there fine rifles (y)

Reactions: DeanB
If you aren't going to take it apart I'm not sure what advice I can offer you other than good luck with AoA.

First order of business is to remove the cylinder from the gun, charge it to 200bar, and see if pressure drops. If it does, leave the action alone, as your leak is in the cylinder itself. That's half the mystery solved right there with no real disassembly involved.

The oring under the transfer port block that goes around the poppet seat needs to be seated and checked. They don't always seal the first time and especially so if you use Chinese orings. The factory oring is a proprietary non-standard size and seals by being crushed. Over tightening the barrel grubscrew will make it leak easily. People that aren't familiar with the HW100 will overlook this.

If you decide to tear into it I can help you through whatever you need to do. Springers are much more difficult to work on than these guns.

The HW 100/110 series is by no miens a simple devise and has many layers of sub areas .......
I think that just about defines German design and engineering! The Anschutz match trigger in my RF rifle is a marvelous thing, but it is an overly complicated piece of equipment. Sometimes I think German engineers must have a bonus system tied to the number of parts they can make work together.

• Love
Reactions: Motorhead
Well good news sort of:)
Called Shane and he is as frustrated as I am as he said hes never had a gun keep developing leaks after being resealed. Hes going to call Weirauch and find out if there are any known issues that he could be missing or Weirauch can take care of.. in the mean time hes sending me a return label this evening so here we go again.. my only fear is that with so much shipping back and forth some monkey handler is going to eventually damage my action even though its always packaged great going/coming.
So once again I wait.

If you aren't going to take it apart I'm not sure what advice I can offer you other than good luck with AoA.

First order of business is to remove the cylinder from the gun, charge it to 200bar, and see if pressure drops. If it does, leave the action alone, as your leak is in the cylinder itself. That's half the mystery solved right there with no real disassembly involved.

The oring under the transfer port block that goes around the poppet seat needs to be seated and checked. They don't always seal the first time and especially so if you use Chinese orings. The factory oring is a proprietary non-standard size and seals by being crushed. Over tightening the barrel grubscrew will make it leak easily. People that aren't familiar with the HW100 will overlook this.

If you decide to tear into it I can help you through whatever you need to do. Springers are much more difficult to work on than these guns.
Thumper thank you for the offer and if issue doesn't end up getting resolved I may take you up on the offer.

Reactions: thumper
I have successfully resealed a 10 years old HW100 in last two days. It also had more than usual issues. Had to diagnose all gradually when routine replacement of O rings did not work.

But now it's 100% sealed and working great with very low extreme spread.

But such great masterpiece of German engineering needs precise attention and the gun should be in the hands of the tuner.

20240807_192906.jpg
20240807_193235.jpg
20240807_193819.jpg
20240807_201956.jpg
20240807_213352.jpg
20240809_145316.jpg
20240809_145326.jpg
20240809_145335.jpg
20240809_154524.jpg

Thumper thank you for the offer and if issue doesn't end up getting resolved I may take you up on the offer.
DeanB,
I experienced the same thing on my HW100 replacing all the orings, then finding a couple more that needed replacement that were not included in the rebuild kit. Replaced those and still had a slow leak. Then as a last ditch effort I ordered and replace the complete main valve $45 and viola, my leaks were cured. Held air ever since.
You might ask Shane to try that if you have already returned the rifle.
1723228625883.png

Thx
Dan

Last edited:
Diagnostics is generally spotty at best for a lot of service facilities. This is wide spread in the world of mechanical devises.
Just replace or go threw it again is standard fare most instances. Proper diagnostics takes experience and time working with each & every mechanical devise a tech might have come across their bench. The HW 100/110 series is by no miens a simple devise and has many layers of sub areas sealed up via o-rings.
Tho do put trust in AOA to figure out what they have missed, as perhaps the Tech/s have missed something, that once found likely won't be overlooked in the future.

Hang tough !!! there fine rifles (y)
Since it isn’t the poppet, I would start to look at the oring grooves and anywhere an oring rides. They must have screwed something up on the production side if this is a common issue.
Motorhead, Vetmx -

Do you guys install your o-rings dry, or with a light coat of silicone grease ?

Thanks

Mike

Just some diagnostic thoughts for all pcps.
1) if it leaks out the barrel, it's the firing valve and it's orings
2) always take the cyl off if practical to rule it out as the source of leaks
3) most have an open hole for the reg to breathe, if it's leaking there it's the reg seals.
4) fill fittings and gauges are a source of leaks.

Note: transfer ports don't cause guns to leak down, neither do breach seals. These only leak during the shot. The clue here is erratic/low velocity.

Pcps are not rocket science, but knowing how they operate goes a long way to help finding a leak.