HW110 Accuracy Question

A few months back, I purchased an HW110 with the laminate stock and bonded moderator based on the rave reviews for their compact size, how quiet they are, and above all, accuracy. However, I have had some issues with accuracy, and I am wondering if what I'm seeing has an easy fix, or if I maybe need to contact Weihrauch. All groups are 5 shots at 30 yards from a rest, and these are the 3 pellets that shot best. While the JSB 10.34s aren't the worst groups I have ever seen, they don't make me feel confident that I could accurately place a shot in a squirrel brain at 30 yards, either. My Hatsan AT 44 groups better than this at this distance with it's best pellet, and I guess for a $1000 gun, I expected more. Here are the following things I have tried that have not helped:
-Cleaned the barrel
-Loosened the barrel band to free float the barrel - made groups worse
-Snugged barrel band screws down so the barrel couldn't wiggle - this seems to have stopped wandering groups, but didn't tighten them up.
-Taken it out of it's stock and snugged down all the screws I could see.
-Changed scopes
Is this the best I can expect from this gun? Is there something glaringly obvious that I am not checking? Is it time to reach out to Weihrauch? Other ideas?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris 110-8.44.jpg110-BHE.jpg110-10.342.jpg110-10.341.jpg

Full disclosure, I have no experience with the HW110, but have owned a three HW100 rifles. I currently have the HW100 laminate carbine in .177. All of my HW100 rifles would shoot one-hole groups at 30 yards, and I mean small one-hole groups. Assuming that Weihrauch uses the same barrel on the HW110, I would say no, this is not what you should expect from this rifle. In addition to the things you have tried, tuning would be my suggestion. If the reg is as easy to access as in the HW100, try to make adjustments to the reg set point and HST so that your desired velocity is around 95% of the maximum at the reg set point. My recommendation would be to attempt a velocity around 880 fps with the JSB 10 g pellet. I have never owned a .177 that would not shoot well at that tuning with that pellet. If accuracy is not improved at that tuning balance, I would question the barrel quality and contact your seller. You can't make a bad barrel shoot. I say this assuming that you are shooting from a position of confidence and have sufficient experience of the basics. Good luck.

Full disclosure, I have no experience with the HW110, but have owned a three HW100 rifles. I currently have the HW100 laminate carbine in .177. All of my HW100 rifles would shoot one-hole groups at 30 yards, and I mean small one-hole groups. Assuming that Weihrauch uses the same barrel on the HW110, I would say no, this is not what you should expect from this rifle. In addition to the things you have tried, tuning would be my suggestion. If the reg is as easy to access as in the HW100, try to make adjustments to the reg set point and HST so that your desired velocity is around 95% of the maximum at the reg set point. My recommendation would be to attempt a velocity around 880 fps with the JSB 10 g pellet. I have never owned a .177 that would not shoot well at that tuning with that pellet. If accuracy is not improved at that tuning balance, I would question the barrel quality and contact your seller. You can't make a bad barrel shoot. I say this assuming that you are shooting from a position of confidence and have sufficient experience of the basics. Good luck.
Mine is currently shooting the 10.34s at 898, and I didn’t think the reg in the 110 was adjustable or accessible. I’ll have to do some poking around. Thanks for the info.
Chris

Reactions: cavedweller
Is your HW110 .177 a 600mm or 410mm barrel?

I believe that I posted step by step instructions on how to adjust regulator pressure on the HW110 on this forum. You will need a reg pressure test gauge - available from hwtuning.com in the UK.
I saw that post just a bit ago. I think I’m going to try working with the hammer spring first to bring it down about 30 fps first, and see what that does.
Thanks,
Chris

I saw that post just a bit ago. I think I’m going to try working with the hammer spring first to bring it down about 30 fps first, and see what that does.
Thanks,
Chris
That's a good first step, but maybe go down in smaller increments. Once you find the desired velocity, then you can work on the tuning balance, which might suggest a reg adjustment. Generally, you want the reg set point to yield a maximum velocity of around 5-10% above the target velocity, with the hammer spring maxed out. In other words, your tune should be around 95% of the maximum velocity attainable at that set point. You don't really need a reg tester, since you are tuning to a certain balance point, not a certain reg pressure which, along with HST, is a variable. If you were disassembling the rifle, then a reg tester would help you return to the original set point.

Discovered something interesting - my velocity with the heavies was only 613 fps. When I got the gun, it came with a chrony reading and a target that said the JSB Heavies were moving out at 898 fps, and I never bothered questioning it. So, I adjusted the hammer until it was slinging them between 870 and 880, and will see later (hopefully today) if the issue was velocity. Interestingly, when I tried to snug down the Torx screw that is supposed to be in the hammer adjustment screw, nothing really happened. Is this not a feature in mine because it's the FAC version? I'm still trying to figure out how to get to the reg to adjust it, but that can wait until I see what happens with the change in velocity. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Chris

Discovered something interesting - my velocity with the heavies was only 613 fps. When I got the gun, it came with a chrony reading and a target that said the JSB Heavies were moving out at 898 fps, and I never bothered questioning it. So, I adjusted the hammer until it was slinging them between 870 and 880, and will see later (hopefully today) if the issue was velocity. Interestingly, when I tried to snug down the Torx screw that is supposed to be in the hammer adjustment screw, nothing really happened. Is this not a feature in mine because it's the FAC version? I'm still trying to figure out how to get to the reg to adjust it, but that can wait until I see what happens with the change in velocity. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Chris
Hi Chris, was the hammer adjustment relatively easy? I had an issue - before I knew of the existence of the torx 8 grubscrew - where I was losing power over time and I'm thinking now that it was down to not tightening down the grub screw after making my adjustments. My HW110 is a sub 12ftlb version but I believe the same grub screw exists on the FAC version. The screw is a decent way into the hammer itself so you need a torx 8 screwdriver or the like - capable of fitting down the 4mm allen key hole - to reach it.