HW30 and Vortek HO?

I’m dropped in a Vortek PG4 HO kit in my brand new HW30 just a few months ago. I’m getting nearly 700 fps with a 7 grain lead pellet and simple drop in. No polishing. This is just the first dozen or so shots. I am not sure if it will change after break in. This is over 10fpe. I also have another one (R7) that has it kit for a few years. Smooth and accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeyU
Hey peaceful_ruler,
What are U looking for the most ... in the Vortek PG4HO kit?

My tuned HW30S (.177) was tuned using a basic ARH HW30S spring with top-hat made by me. Nothing over-sprung or over-lubed .... after cleaning & waxing the barrel, washing & lubing my JSB 7.33 pellets (bicycle lube/wax), I get 702 fps or 8 FPE doing nothing else. My tune was done 3 years ago so no dieseling or anything unusual. Just a very smooth shot cycle that one would expect out of the HW30S or R7.

I wouldn't go for much more than 8.5 FPE, because your maxing out the platform ... likely ruining its sweet shot cycle.

If you want something with more power -> HW50S :)

Last edited:
A Hw30 PG4 in 177 will start around 8.2fpe and settle in around 8 fpe if the gun seals well and doesn't diesel. I've probably done a half dozen of these maybe more. Well over a dozen if you include the PG2 and PG3 kits. They use the same spring. I add half a coil to mine and feel there is no loss if accuracy. I like the shot cycle better. I have Tom make my kits a half coil longer as pointed out and with the trigger end of the spring closed. I'm going to bed now believe it or not. I know it's early new years eve but I drove twelve hours today and just finished dinner. I'll elaborate more in the next day or two when I have time.

I misread the initial post. I missed the HO part. I thought Tom pulled that kit some time ago. I guess it's back. I installed one in a 22 and 177 Hw30 and I don't think I saw 9 fpe. Tom sent me a spring with an additional coil to meet the claims. At the time the HO kit used a 0.730 OD - 0.118" spring with IIRC 20 coils.

Even with 21 coils I don't think I saw much improvement. The gun only became noticeably harder to cock to the point I thought it was over taxing the linkage parts. I rechecked everything several times and even swapped the kit into a 177 Hw30. Where again it didn't reach ten fpe. I had the 22 apart probably 15 times checking and rechecking everything making sure it wasn't me or the rest of the gun.

I called Tom and he said he got 10 fpe out of his 22 test gun. So he said my barrel must be bad. I argued differently because I didn't see much improvement in the 177 either. He later told me that he tested it in two newer 22 Hw30s and had the same poor results as me. I believed he pulled it from the lineup then. Perhaps he found another combination.

A standard PG4 kit with 21 coil 0.113 wire 0.730" spring will initially net you about 8.5 to 8.3 fpe in either 177 or 22 and settle down to about 8 or a tad more after three or four thousand shots.

My experience with that HO kit is the less than 1 fpe power increase over the standard PG4 kit wasn't worth the increase in cocking effort or wearing out the parts. Again that was then and I don't know if he's changed it since.

Also make sure to radius and polish the cocking arm foot or you may likely cut slivers out of the steel outer guide. That can wreck the compression tube. I've had this issue on about half my steel PG kits across the all the Weihrauch break barrels. I grind radius and polish every cocking shoe or foot when using the PG4 steel kits. It's a pita but the consequences are too great. I much prefer to plastic PG2 kits.

20220827_165900.jpg

20221109_093231.jpg

Reactions: EMrider
Installed a new Vortek HO kit in a late model HW30 a few months back. Gave it a deep clean and polished and honed all the proper parts. Very nice shooter. Crisp and clean. Haven't shot it through a chronograph since the initial testing when it went back together. As I recall, it was shooting mid 8's fpe? I will run a few tomorrow and report.

Reactions: peaceful_ruler
I just went to Tom's website and it only list the HO kit for the Hw30. He's flip flopped descriptions on kits before. Advertising up to 9.5 fpe it has to be the 0.118" spring or something different from the 0.113" spring. I'll have to call him and see what gives. He's changed something since I last bought Hw30 kits from him last spring.
I think the standard kit is the HO, the SHO is the one that did not work as advertised and I do not see it available any longer.