HW/Weihrauch HW50s Update, I Got It Figured Out!

I posted on this rifle a couple days after getting it last month. Happy with the accuracy, but I was getting two different POI. One on the bench, but after sighted in on the bench, I was hitting about 3/8 @ 4 to 5 O'clock. I spent a week trying to find with this rifle liked for a hold to shoot one POI.

Well last Tuesday I thought I had it figured out. With a firm trigger hand, pulled snug back in the shoulder, with the left hand out on the front of the forearm right where it is scalloped back on the sides of the forearm. NO MILITARY HOLD.

This is different than most of my springers like, but this rifle is different,,,, In a GOOD WAY! It not just shoots the H&N FTT @ 8.6 grains it was sighted in with on the bench @ 20 yards. But also the 7.3 grain JSB Exact RS, as well as the Air Arms 10.3 grain, all in that same minuet of Squirrel head! In the past 6 days, at random, whether shooting the fist shot or shooting 2 to 3 shots at a time, with all three of these pellets, into the same target I put up 6 days ago, this little untuned, Hw50's has amazed me.
50+ shots over 6 days Off Hand 20 yards.jpg

It doesn't look that great for just one weight or kind of pellet. But when you realize how close up this picture is, a quarter shows that for 6 consecutive days with over 50 different shots, morning, noon, or evening, even before sunup, to after sundown, I'm delighted, and think most low shots in the target is where those heavy 10.3 grain AA's were shooting. Kinda looks like two separate groups were formed, and those little 7.3 grain Exacts do shoot slightly better, but almost unmeasurably.

But after about three days it was just obvious they were in one of those holes with all three pellets. All shots standing offhand from the same spot leaning against the house to simulate use in the field leaning against a tree. I only own one other rifle that will shoot more accurate in the same scenario as this, and that is using just one pellet, not three different weights and brands.
50+ shots offhand 20 yards.jpg

With my Point of aim being the center of the square, It's sure to get some hunting time. The thing that really surprises me, is this is the lightest most compact springer I own. As well as the only untuned gun I own. Yes it a little twang I would like to get rid of, but I'm afraid to see if it would do better, just because of how it does it from these three different extremes with pellets. From approximately 850 fps, to as slow as 620 fps, I will reshoot them all and record the outcome of each for my records later this week. But this was ballpark from my memory as tested when I first brought it home.

The other thing is out to 30 yards, hitting random walnuts in the tree, with 90%+ hit ratio, it's a proven hunter. Maybe partly because it is now getting broken in. As I don't really know how many shots it had thru it when I bought it from a member here. But I think he said around 100 shots when I picked it up. Even being able to shoot same poi with its first shot every time I pick it up, makes it my highly tuned R10, my most reliable when it comes to pick em up and make that shot count no mater how long they've been unused.

But after a couple weeks, I am now so happy with this smallest, lightest, least powerful springer in my collection, I now have it's little brother on the way. Only the second one in my collection I have purchased brand new, the HW30s! I could not be happier, this gun joins the R10, HW77K and the Diana 54 that will never go anywhere! Hopefully the 30s will make it 5 that I call definite KEEPERS.

Last edited:
I posted on this rifle a couple days after getting it last month. Happy with the accuracy, but I was getting two different POI. One on the bench, but after sighted in on the bench, I was hitting about 3/8 @ 4 to 5 O'clock. I spent a week trying to find with this rifle liked for a hold to shoot one POI.

Well last Tuesday I thought I had it figured out. With a firm trigger hand, pulled snug back in the shoulder, with the left hand out on the front of the forearm right where it is scalloped back on the sides of the forearm. NO MILITARY HOLD.

This is different than most of my springers like, but this rifle is different,,,, In a GOOD WAY! It not just shoots the H&N FTT @ 8.6 grains it was sighted in with on the bench @ 20 yards. But also the 7.3 grain JSB Exact RS, as well as the Air Arms 10.3 grain, all in that same minuet of Squirrel head! In the past 6 days, at random, whether shooting the fist shot or shooting 2 to 3 shots at a time, with all three of these pellets, into the same target I put up 6 days ago, this little untuned, Hw50's has amazed me.
View attachment 479806

It doesn't look that great for just one weight or kind of pellet. But when you realize how close up this picture is, a quarter shows that for 6 consecutive days with over 50 different shots, morning, noon, or evening, even before sunup, to after sundown, I'm delighted, and think most low shots in the target is where those heavy 10.3 grain AA's were shooting. Kinda looks like two separate groups were formed, and those little 7.3 grain Exacts do shoot slightly better, but almost unmeasurably.

But after about three days it was just obvious they were in one of those holes with all three pellets. All shots standing offhand from the same spot leaning against the house to simulate use in the field leaning against a tree. I only own one other rifle that will shoot more accurate in the same scenario as this, and that is using just one pellet, not three different weights and brands.
View attachment 479808

With my Point of aim being the center of the square, It's sure to get some hunting time. The thing that really surprises me, is this is the lightest most compact springer I own. As well as the only untuned gun I own. Yes it a little twang I would like to get rid of, but I'm afraid to see if it would do better, just because of how it does it from these three different extremes with pellets. From approximately 850 fps, to as slow as 620 fps, I will reshoot them all and record the outcome of each for my records later this week. But this was ballpark from my memory as tested when I first brought it home.

The other thing is out to 30 yards, hitting random walnuts in the tree, with 90%+ hit ratio, it's a proven hunter. Maybe partly because it is now getting broken in. As I don't really know how many shots it had thru it when I bought it from a member here. But I think he said around 100 shots when I picked it up. Even being able to shoot same poi with its first shot every time I pick it up, makes it my highly tuned R10, my most reliable when it comes to pick em up and make that shot count no mater how long they've been unused.

But after a couple weeks, I am now so happy with this smallest, lightest, least powerful springer in my collection, I now have it's little brother on the way. Only the second one in my collection I have purchased brand new, the HW30s! I could not be happier, this gun joins the R10, HW77K and the Diana 54 that will never go anywhere! Hopefully the 30s will make it 5 that I call definite KEEPERS.
I would definitely be pleased with those results! You are building a nice stable of springers too. 🤩

View attachment 479806

View attachment 479808

Wow, I wish I could shoot mine that well offhand! Hats off!

I can't shoot well offhand and don't even try unless it's something with a 10" kill zone and very close. But my HW50S .177 of just about any kind of rest, support, sandbag combination isn't the least bit hold or position sensitive. It's definitely squirrel head accurate to the high side of 40 yards. First Weihrauch for me and zero buyer's remorse.

Enjoy!

Well no new rifle will shoot its best right out of the. Box! If it does, it's been shot!

Any barrel shooting lead needs seasoned, centerfire, rimfire, or air, no matter how you compress it. So if you get a rifle that shoots great out of the box, and it won't get better, it's likely been used!

The fact of making any gun better is a plus for most. Meaning if it couldn't be improved, it would already have the tighter fitting spring assemblies polishing and honing done by the factory. This would keep many who won't spend the good dollar for the best. Most are more than satisfied with good enough, and will only pay for that degree of finished product.

So it is a blessing to have the Weihrauch and Diana springers we have today. The big blessing is for those that will spend a little more, to have the variety of aftermarket accessories to choose from, and the information on how to go about polishing and fitting everything to have the best at a price cheaper than we would pay to have it all done at the factory.