I (ashamedly) own a Crosman 3622. questions on modifications

My post title is tongue in cheek, yeah I sure wish it was a better airgun, but I bought it because I have fun testing myself with less than top of the heap products. I appreciate what Crosman has done by introducing this gun. I don't have the skills to acquire something so simple, yet effective, without paying more. I thought about an FX DRS, or Airforce utility rifle, which on paper is a much better decision than this purchase for what I desire from an air rifle. Having said that, I already own six other Crosmans, so I do know what I am getting into. Modifying is my thing. I need to tinker and see how good I can make the rifle. I am specifically interested first on improving accuracy, and then power. Simplicity and lightweight and compactness are already built into the gun. I am waffling between peep/globe sight and scope, but I still need a better breech to test my Williams WGRS-54. some kind of upgraded breech will be implemented. I just prefer the ease and stability of adjustment over the plastic peep. Scopes always work for me, they are just heavy and bulky compared to open sights. Not real keen on the plastic trigger group, but truthfully it is working pretty well with a simple lighter trigger return spring and a tension loosened safety/sear spring. I want to explore what a three screw mod really does. I have put an adjustment screw on the forward part of my 362 anniversary (legacy) edition, and that limits sear engagement. Do I need something else? The accuracy bit is either going to come down to the right pellet and tuning or a different barrel. someone said a Lothar Walther Marauder barrel could be adapted. How does that work? It might sound crazy to some but a $200 barrel is something I would be willing to do. I don't like the barrel bands as they come, but I think some shimming will center the barrel more precisely. all of these topics are covered somewhere else, but I am getting tired of looking through posts, so I am seeing if anyone will indulge this crazy person.
1722793964431.png

3622 front sight mod.jpg

I can't be much help with that specific gun, but I put a peep sight on my Marauder. Yours will need a steel breech with a dovetail milled in it, though I suppose if you are industrious, you can rig up a way to use the Williams base you have using the plastic breech.
I started with a Williams FP-AG which fits the dovetail rail of my gun. I designed and 3D printed the front sight. It slips over the shroud fitted with a moderator adapter. The thread protector or moderator holds the thing in place (not the best arrangement, but good enough). Finally, I added a Gehmann 510PH adjustable iris, which screws right into the Williams base.
You can spend easily as much on aperture sights as you do on a scope. I'm easily $180 deep on this project, but I just love being able to keep proficient with irons using a PCP. Right now, I am working on a second version of the front sight that will be longer, feature a ramp and elevation adjustable front blade (somewhat like your Williams rear base), and be secured to the shroud with plastic screws.

IMG_9098.jpg
IMG_9097.jpg
IMG_9754.jpg

Hello fellow crazy person! Nice work on the silencer adaptor/sight post! I have held off on the Gehmann Parker-Hale rear aperture because I want the adjustability fore and aft that I could get with extension tubes made for the 9.5 x 1mm threads on the standard Iris. (non- Parker -Hale) I fabricated a base for the Williams 5D series that is steel so I can weld a 9.5 x 1mm threaded tube and run the European threaded aperture and get the distance to my eye as close as I can. I am 61 years old and it really helps to use a small aperture for focus and also to get the aperture close to my eye. I am very interested in the versatility of an adjustable Iris. My experience is that a small aperture is better for focus, but really limits light. I can't see into shaded area. I thought that with the adjustable, I might be able to open it up when needed. Is that how it is used? I have a 2250 with open sights and spent approximately $110 on the sighting system, but it is so compact and light. I had my homegrown front sight, but swapped to a Williams Western Front globe sight and had to raise the rear sight and the WGRS-54 was too low, so I spent more money on another rear sight, so then I had to buy a gun to put the old sight onto. For some reason this keeps happening to me.

IMG_7510.JPG

Also I found out the hard way, that the AG models of rear sights from Williams have the Aperture mount above the dovetail rail (high mount) and the GR models position the aperture holder behind and lower height to the dovetail for a lower line of sight. The lowest line of sight belongs to the WGRS. I wish I had known all of this before I started spending money. It has been a rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I can't be much help with that specific gun, but I put a peep sight on my Marauder. Yours will need a steel breech with a dovetail milled in it, though I suppose if you are industrious, you can rig up a way to use the Williams base you have using the plastic breech.
I started with a Williams FP-AG which fits the dovetail rail of my gun. I designed and 3D printed the front sight. It slips over the shroud fitted with a moderator adapter. The thread protector or moderator holds the thing in place (not the best arrangement, but good enough). Finally, I added a Gehmann 510PH adjustable iris, which screws right into the Williams base.
You can spend easily as much on aperture sights as you do on a scope. I'm easily $180 deep on this project, but I just love being able to keep proficient with irons using a PCP. Right now, I am working on a second version of the front sight that will be longer, feature a ramp and elevation adjustable front blade (somewhat like your Williams rear base), and be secured to the shroud with plastic screws.

View attachment 485587View attachment 485586View attachment 485588
I am also curious if this has the Lothar Walther barrel and how you like the rifle either way. I am two and a half years into this hobby and find it fascinating! Nice work on the front sight!

Reactions: Bandito
Thank you! I feel more satisfaction when assembling from parts with a little fitment and fabrication. It is far from perfect, but it is mine!
i couldn’t agree more! when it’s a one of a kind because of your own willingness to achieve that goal, it becomes your own little precious

I do have a LW barrel on this one. All I can say is Worth Every Penny! I've had 3 Crosman barrels installed and they were mediocre at best. The LW is spot on.
View attachment 485621
I have always (and still think) a LW barrel fitted on a Sheridan pumper would make a great gun . LW has a barrel that is 1 MM larger diameter .

I picked up Crosman 3622 from @Airgun-Revisions with the steel breech. Out the door and delivered for $186. Great little rifle. Would be an ideal truck gun or perfect for a novice shooter.

I mounted an old Weaver 2-7x32 with low mounts and have it zero'd at 20 yards and the post is zero'd at 55 yards luckily. I get 25 shots at 700 fps with the Benjamin 14.3's. Great can shooter, I probably put a couple hundred pellets through it this weekend.

IMG_2103.jpeg

Well, I stole a steel breech from another gun and mounted my little Williams WGRS peep. It was too high for the original/modified fiber optic front sight, but grouped well at 68feet with 14.35 JSB pellets. maybe 1/2 -3/4" group. I swapped to another homemade crosshair front globe and pulled a 2", 10 shot group, also at 68 feet distance. Most shots were in the 1 inch bullseye. I don't do as well with this front sight. I ordered a silencer adaptor from Buck-Rail and their matching fill cover for $40.00. The adaptor comes with a front sight post, so I will work with that when it gets here. I saw Nibs at "Walnut and Steel" on You Tube got some 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards wit JTS 16.08 pellets, so they may be one to try on the 3622 and the 362. This was my lightest rifle, but the steel breech made it a little heavy, so I am trying a Chinese aluminum breech. Wish me luck.
1722881874757.png

Reactions: Bandito
I started with the Crosman barrel clamps to mount a scope, that didn’t go well the 3622 didn’t like them. Next I put a 3d printed breach on it with picatinny rail on it. The 1st one cracked so I put the replacement on my 1322 & took the steel breach from it & put on the 3622. Originally had a 4x12x40 scope & it just looked out of place so I swapped it for a 3x7x30 & it looks much better & keeps it lighter too.

it isn’t well known & Crosman doesn’t mention it but you can tun the hammer spring. You need to remove the adjustment screw & clean the locktite off the threads.

My post title is tongue in cheek, yeah I sure wish it was a better airgun, but I bought it because I have fun testing myself with less than top of the heap products. I appreciate what Crosman has done by introducing this gun. I don't have the skills to acquire something so simple, yet effective, without paying more. I thought about an FX DRS, or Airforce utility rifle, which on paper is a much better decision than this purchase for what I desire from an air rifle. Having said that, I already own six other Crosmans, so I do know what I am getting into. Modifying is my thing. I need to tinker and see how good I can make the rifle. I am specifically interested first on improving accuracy, and then power. Simplicity and lightweight and compactness are already built into the gun. I am waffling between peep/globe sight and scope, but I still need a better breech to test my Williams WGRS-54. some kind of upgraded breech will be implemented. I just prefer the ease and stability of adjustment over the plastic peep. Scopes always work for me, they are just heavy and bulky compared to open sights. Not real keen on the plastic trigger group, but truthfully it is working pretty well with a simple lighter trigger return spring and a tension loosened safety/sear spring. I want to explore what a three screw mod really does. I have put an adjustment screw on the forward part of my 362 anniversary (legacy) edition, and that limits sear engagement. Do I need something else? The accuracy bit is either going to come down to the right pellet and tuning or a different barrel. someone said a Lothar Walther Marauder barrel could be adapted. How does that work? It might sound crazy to some but a $200 barrel is something I would be willing to do. I don't like the barrel bands as they come, but I think some shimming will center the barrel more precisely. all of these topics are covered somewhere else, but I am getting tired of looking through posts, so I am seeing if anyone will indulge this crazy person.View attachment 485581

View attachment 485584
Nothing to be ashamed about!
The 3622 has many good things to offer.

In my experience LW barrels are worth every nickel when it comes to accuracy. Any decent machine shop can take measurements from the original barrel and match the new barrel to those. They can do it relatively cheaply too.

As to "older tech" in airguns... Simplicity makes for simpler repairs.

Cheers,

J~