FX I forgot how light the M3 actually is

Over the last six months I’ve dropped scope obesity off two of my Impacts by switching them to 1” Athlon Heras scopes. Even when going long with my shots in hunting situations I can’t stand weight carried high on a gun. The scopes being 1” and 20x in no way hamper my longer distance shooting. I’ve been taking mice off a feeder at 131 yards lately at night with them. I good scope doesn’t have to be heavy. It’s 2024.
My favorite Athlon scope is the 4-20 Helos gen 2 mil. It's 30mm but love the locking turrets for hunting and I always dial when possible. It's not light at 28oz but I like FFP

I agree somewhat on Bipods, I use 2 very cheap and light ones that I modified to have 2 positions, the OEM position which is almost 90 degrees and my modified position at 45 degree, similar to atlas. Just takes disassembly and adding an additional notch for the locking mechanism to catch into. They're convenient for me though for sitting my rifle on a bench or on the ground when not in use. I don't like leaning my gun, last thing I want is for it to be knocked over and get scuffed.

-Matt
You are making a good point. A bipod is nice to have on the rifle just so it can be set around, tailgate of my truck, or beside me while I take a break while hunting. I have been using the cheap, super light Limbsaver bipods for that purpose. Out to 100 yards they do fine, I would not want to be taking a shot at 500 yards away with a 7mm Remington Magnum, especially if it is a once in a lifetime hunt. But in my back area or nearby woods walking, perfect.

As I sit about trying to figure out how to afford a thermal optic, someday, about the time I can afford a Ghost, might be another life ;). Weight gain is insidious both in us humans and our air guns. Adult humans pick up about 10 to 15 pounds per decade past 20, some a lot more. I think it spills over into our guns, trucks, other assorted toys. Might need Weight Watchers for Air Gunners! When we start thinking 10 pounds is light, I need a porter for that.

Reactions: Stubbers
You are making a good point. A bipod is nice to have on the rifle just so it can be set around, tailgate of my truck, or beside me while I take a break while hunting. I have been using the cheap, super light Limbsaver bipods for that purpose. Out to 100 yards they do fine, I would not want to be taking a shot at 500 yards away with a 7mm Remington Magnum, especially if it is a once in a lifetime hunt. But in my back area or nearby woods walking, perfect.

As I sit about trying to figure out how to afford a thermal optic, someday, about the time I can afford a Ghost, might be another life ;). Weight gain is insidious both in us humans and our air guns. Adult humans pick up about 10 to 15 pounds per decade past 20, some a lot more. I think it spills over into our guns, trucks, other assorted toys. Might need Weight Watchers for Air Gunners! When we start thinking 10 pounds is light, I need a porter for that.
I use a benchrest harris bipod for that exact reason to keep my gun of ground while hunting.

Yea my gun sits on 3 points, the 2 on the bi-pod and 1 on the butt stock. I only lean my guns up in corners where they're super secure, I am too clumsy at times.

My metabolism is crazy, was just talking to another person who faces similar issues. If we skip a meal, we wither. My genetics refuse to give that dimension much slack.

I weigh the same today (41 yrs young) as I did in high school.

-Matt

• Love
Reactions: 3Crows
So, we're complaining about how heavy our guns are. Or we rejoice how nicely light they became after taking off most of the accessories that we have a penchant for piling them on.... 🤦🏼‍♂️

In trying to help all of us to select LIGHT scopes for our guns, I assembled a Scope Specs Table for LIGHT scopes.

There are over 100 so you can compare their specs and make a selection.

The link of that separate thread is this one here:
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/light-scopes-scope-specs-table.1319062/

Cheers, 😊

Matthias

Weight is definitely a factor in pcp rifles. Been into the ground squirrels for about 5 years now. Started with firearms and soon my hunting partner started using his pcps. I borrowed his for a few years and used his umarex till the trigger fell off and then tried his older fx. I think it was a MK2. Also tried his pantera. Then I ordered an Aselkon which I have used a couple years. That gun scoped with a Cabela’s intensity LR 4-16 Weighs in at 11.9 lbs. After acquiring my new FX m3 in 30 cal and scoping it with an Sig Whiskey 4 5X20 my weight is around 8.5 lbs. That’ll make it a lot easier carrying around next year when the squirrels come back out.
Im not much of a bipod guy as I use Primos trigger stix with 3 points of contact. Still have to haul them around but much easier with your gun hand less fatigued.