I found a 165$ pcp

Had 2 of the flyingdragon rifels ( $100 xs60/pcp conversion) sold off one long ago, inspected and smashed (demilled eh) the second after David's blew up while sitting. On mine with the barrel band removed and the airtube in the FD installed empty there was a LOT of wiggle, didn't feel safe at all so it had to go. Not so much a Chinese manufacture issue as the original importer desided the rifles -C02- could not be sold ( don't know why) then FD purchased them all, converted them to "pcp" using unknown tubing and sold them. County of origin doesn't come into play with this model.

Owned a couple of discovery's, the older ones were slightly better, once crosman changed the striker spring ( and got rid of the valve stem seal/o-ring and ....?) there are good for 10 shots out of the box. Bolt rattles around, trigger isn't too good. They are light weight and low cost and parts are around.

Have a QB 78 converted to HPA using a 79 adaptor and a Ninja 1,100psi regulated bottle. Solid metal rifle, honestly excellent trigger, super easy to work on. At 850psi it dialed in right at 11.4fpe, 1,100psi bumped it to 17.8fpe in .177. Groups well enough for Field Target.
THE big thing to do with any QB is remove the "filter" in the valve as it WILL turn to dust/junk and fowl your valve. If you do remove the filter ( and piercing pin as even the bulk 79 has the same valve) DO open up the front of the valve and or slot the sides of the valve for better flow. That and an ice maker tubing transfer port and trigger adjustment is all it will ever need.

Shop around, the 79 can be found right at $100.00 and a Ninja bottle is $59.00 delivered. Really the overall BEST low dollar value out there.

John

"Swing360"I might have missed something, but your not going to shoot at a coyote with a 12fpe gun are you?
My gamo comes in at around 17 fpe if I slap it right between the eyes or under twords the front of the ear it will drop like a sack of potatoes. I watched an episode of gamooutdoors and that pig man guy hit a pig dead between the eyes with a 177 at 25 yards and rolled it it was about a 40 lb pig and the coyotes I've seen around the property can't be much Bigger. And where I'm baiting them in at 15 with my skills I put 3/4 inch groups at 15 with crossmen gold flight steel tipped pellets that go through 1 inch plywood at 30 yards so I feel I have enough power in the gamo Bullwhisper bone collector edition to get the job done 

Through my searches on the QB pcp/co2 platform I have seen some god looking rifles so modded they out shoot fx pcps but they also put the smooth twist barrel on the QB and upped the power do it was basically an fx lol by the time I'm done when I finally get one it will end up looking like a 10 meters gun mixed with a good hunting pcp I also want the power to balance between these two types of air rifle. And reach out to the very least fifty yards with 25cent sized wholes.

"Bullwhisper"Through my searches on the QB pcp/co2 platform I have seen some god looking rifles so modded they out shoot fx pcps but they also put the smooth twist barrel on the QB and upped the power do it was basically an fx lol by the time I'm done when I finally get one it will end up looking like a 10 meters gun mixed with a good hunting pcp I also want the power to balance between these two types of air rifle. And reach out to the very least fifty yards with 25cent sized wholes.
Here's a QB79 I just put together. I can tune it up over 23FPE with the JSB 13.4's. I have it tuned now to 18.1 with JSB' 10.34. Based on my measured efficiency of 1.41 (28 shots with the 10.34's from 2500-2100 psi at average of 888fps I am looking at 80-90 shots per fill. I've got less than $250 in it as pictured. It's also very quiet with my homemade $7 ldc.
index.php

index.php

Shooting in a 15mph wind today at 25 yards the JSB 8.44's and 10.34's are covered with a penny. The 13.4's almost covered with penny
index.php

index.php

index.php

"BigTinBoat"
"Bullwhisper"Through my searches on the QB pcp/co2 platform I have seen some god looking rifles so modded they out shoot fx pcps but they also put the smooth twist barrel on the QB and upped the power do it was basically an fx lol by the time I'm done when I finally get one it will end up looking like a 10 meters gun mixed with a good hunting pcp I also want the power to balance between these two types of air rifle. And reach out to the very least fifty yards with 25cent sized wholes.
Here's a QB79 I just put together. I can tune it up over 23FPE with the JSB 13.4's. I have it tuned now to 18.1 with JSB' 10.34. Based on my measured efficiency of 1.41 (28 shots with the 10.34's from 2500-2100 psi at average of 888fps I am looking at 80-90 shots per fill. I've got less than $250 in it as pictured. It's also very quiet with my homemade $7 ldc.
index.php

index.php

Shooting in a 15mph wind today at 25 yards the JSB 8.44's and 10.34's are covered with a penny. The 13.4's almost covered with penny
index.php

index.php

index.php

Unfortunately your pictures did not come through 

Fantastic job, it a amazes me what people can do with know how an accurate.177 putting out 23fpe? In a bottled mod gun? This is the main reason why I want two get into modding, I have plans for my break barrel to drop the fps a bit so it won't destroy my new center point scope 3-9x40 with illuminated mil-dot reticle, ironically I also want to up the power in my crosmen m4-177 just for funzies. What would be a good tool rack for these jobs I know I'll need a spring compressor for the break barrel. 
I can't wait to get my hands on a qb pcp for all the mods that I can do to it.

"Bullwhisper"Fantastic job, it a amazes me what people can do with know how an accurate.177 putting out 23fpe? In a bottled mod gun? This is the main reason why I want two get into modding, I have plans for my break barrel to drop the fps a bit so it won't destroy my new center point scope 3-9x40 with illuminated mil-dot reticle, ironically I also want to up the power in my crosmen m4-177 just for funzies. What would be a good tool rack for these jobs I know I'll need a spring compressor for the break barrel. 
I can't wait to get my hands on a qb pcp for all the mods that I can do to it.
Thanks

I can tell you my tool box consists of mostly hand tools. My most "sophisticated" tool is a $69 Tractor Supply tabletop Drill press. Other then that I have a Dremel with lots of bits, a hand drill, a 4" grinder and an assortment of files, wrenches, drivers, etc.

FYI - I made a spring compressor out of a Harbor Freight hand clamp that was about $6 and some wood scraps

"BigTinBoat"
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

AMAZING JOB! 
I have to ask how did you get to have that kind of performance? I am looking into buying a qb79 with a Ninja SHP tank (only if they were in stock) and was planing on getting between 17-20 fpe out of a .177 or .22, and by the way what caliber would you choose for mainly plinking, hunting out to 60 yards and informal HFT? 

On a side note, I know the qb79 needs more volume in the valve to have more regulated plenum, this can be achieved by removing valve material and some parts like the filter, also opening the barrel TP and pellet prove will increase fps, and obviously some tinkering with the trigger and cocking mechanism will make the little rifle a sweet shooter.

"HatsanHunter"
AMAZING JOB! 
I have to ask how did you get to have that kind of performance? I am looking into buying a qb79 with a Ninja SHP tank (only if they were in stock) and was planing on getting between 17-20 fpe out of a .177 or .22, and by the way what caliber would you choose for mainly plinking, hunting out to 60 yards and informal HFT? 

On a side note, I know the qb79 needs more volume in the valve to have more regulated plenum, this can be achieved by removing valve material and some parts like the filter, also opening the barrel TP and pellet prove will increase fps, and obviously some tinkering with the trigger and cocking mechanism will make the little rifle a sweet shooter.

Thanks
Basically the whole top of the valve is gone (just about a 3/8" ring of alum left to form an o-ring groove) and the entire tube is the valve.
I drilled out the inside of the tank block to increase volume.
I used a longer (and weaker) conical spring on the valve poppet.
I reduced the poppet diameter and made it coned shape.
I drilled out the valve where the poppet is.
I angled the inside of transfer port for better flow
I made the hollow probe into an extended probe with a 1/16" drill bit
I drill the hammer to move the cocking pin back, removed the rear cocking pin and added a spacer and RVA to the gun is now cock on open.

Here is the post with pic showing the valve I used in both my QB78 that is now .25 and in my QB79 that is .177.
Both are running 1500psi set points. The .25 is up to 41FPE using JSB Kings (25.4g). Ordering some heavier pellets to see what I can squeeze out of it. Haven't shot it much as it's very loud. Awaiting an LDC to arrive this week.

Not sure if pics will show, but link to post is below
index.php

index.php

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=99921.msg937289#msg937289

edit: I would pick .177 for your described uses....if I only had a single gun

Reactions: HatsanHunter