I got scammed by GraphicMan Innovations on his "Pocket Press"

@DeviLAndy1
NOW, after reading further on this, I think SCAMMED is an unfair & untrue term. There's a difference between being scammed & not being happy with a product. A scammer would not take the time to show up here & defend their position. They'd be running in the opposite direction & hiding out QUICKLY! I know you're unhappy with the product but it does seem you bought on impulse & without due diligence (like what bchannel said above about putting out big $). This now doesn't seem to me that you were "SCAMMED" as much as you entered into an ill advised transaction in which you own PART of the responsibility, you're now unhappy but laying ALL the blame on him.
I don't care if it's a pocket press or full on swage press. It still has to be bolted to something for security. This eliminates the idea of being POCKET. This was way over-hyped by build and robustness and unfortunately, Andy bought into the BS. The build doesn't appear to be more than $50 worth, and nowhere near $425.
Very true. My fault is that I bought into the BS hype. I’m here just to warn people not to be fall into the hype like I did .
I showed his press and let the people here judge if worth the hype (pricing).
I just called it a loss on my end. Lesson learned.

Do I feel you were scammed? No

Do I feel the product's value is anywhere near its cost? No

Did you take a risk assuming the value would meet or exceed the cost without having pictures/blueprints/ect? Yes

Does the seller owe you anything, even an apology? No

Is exposing the product for what it is and is not, wrong? No

-Matt
I respect your opinion but
1. try to replicate the press yourself, even though you see the design now which is about half the way done for you and let me know how much you would charge for doing it, I have been in precision machining for some good years, and even though i cant decide precisely how much i should charge unless i actually make it, the problem is that it really looks simple, but trust me it is not even close
2. A deal is a deal, if you asked some1 not to expose your hard work and he did, how is that not wrong, without going into the 117 pdf pages of our chat that i have shared he the buyer did say that i did ask him that and he agreed, if a person does not keep his word, it is ok for you? but it is not ok for the seller ofcourse right in case he did!! is not that a double standard? if you think it is not my right to ask so, then why did he accept from the first place?

Very true. My fault is that I bought into the BS hype. I’m here just to warn people not to be fall into the hype like I did .
I showed his press and let the people here judge if worth the hype (pricing).
I just called it a loss on my end. Lesson learned.
I'm still sorry it cost you hundreds of $ to learn that lesson. If I told my wife I spent hundreds to learn that lesson I'd probably have to add divorce & a kick to the gonads to my troubles. Hope that's not the same for you! Good luck in future ventures.

I respect your opinion but
1. try to replicate the press yourself, even though you see the design now which is about half the way done for you and let me know how much you would charge for doing it, I have been in precision machining for some good years, and even though i cant decide precisely how much i should charge unless i actually make it, the problem is that it really looks simple, but trust me it is not even close
2. A deal is a deal, if you asked some1 not to expose your hard work and he did, how is that not wrong, without going into the 117 pdf pages of our chat that i have shared he the buyer did say that i did ask him that and he agreed, if a person does not keep his word, it is ok for you? but it is not ok for the seller ofcourse right in case he did!! is not that a double standard? if you think it is not my right to ask so, then why did he accept from the first place?

1.) Why would I entertain this request and begin an endeavor I never asked to sign up for? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm just not beholding...

2.) Did you have him sign a NDA? If not, a mans word through telecommunications that you never met really doesn't mean much. Could you perhaps have an ulterior motive as to why you don't want pictures published?

-Matt

1.) Why would I entertain this request and begin an endeavor I never asked to sign up for? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm just not beholding...

2.) Did you have him sign a NDA? If not, a mans word through telecommunications that you never met really doesn't mean much. Could you perhaps have an ulterior motive as to why you don't want pictures published?

-Matt
1, sure you have ur right to think whatever you like but i am telling you , in order to evaluate someone else work, you have to be in the same field, i dont think you are a machinist , but at the end of the day every1 has the right to evaluate his work the way he wants and the buyer also have the right to accept it or not
2. I am not a native speaker, so i dont understand what is NDA and dont need to, but it looks like you are mixing up between 2 things , a- being honest with people and b- and being able to protect your work by law
so yes it does mean a lot, it means that you have no words to keep unless you are forced by law,
now to answer your question you have to know the whole story, if you even looked back at the history of slug presses you will notice that they are getting smaller and lighter, perhaps many including you will still prefer to own a press that is as big and heavy as possible (again your choice) but many others from china, vietnam and many other countries are racing to sell more and cheaper, when some1 can make a press that does the job at about 1/5 the weight / size of the current smallest one, he can have an edge, because the international shipping cost does increase exponentially with weight and size, if you asked any maker can you make me a press that works at 500 grams of steel he will tell u , u must be kidding me, i made it primarly as a challenge for me to have/use coz i dont own one (i am a machinist i do many other things not just dies/press) then he Andy was interested, the thing is that no maker would think that a press can work at that weight/size, by exposing the design it is now everyone chance to replicate with no concern that it might not work, it took me a while to reach that point, it did not work from first try, thus a higher first cost, not like poeple think i am selling it by weight
you my check my 11 years old page to take an idea of what i make

Last edited:
I don't think you have to worry about anyone replicating.
yes I do, u r not in my place, since i released its video, i have got many messages on the page saying they are interesting in it but would like to see what they will pay for ;), because u dont understand how it works you might think yeah right why not, but to tell you the truth so many manufacturers are watching the page and DID came to me privately in the past to ask straight away about what technique i am using to make this and that! so i know i am being watched, and from a little chat and by experience i know them and i know that they just want to steal the hidden design, btw it is not just me that wants to protect my R&D many big names did patent their press although it uses the same principle as many others, i hope u got the point by now, dont think local think global, i am sending parts to many other countries, what is ok for you might not for others, and what you see a toy many others wish for it

1727572473278.gif

1, sure you have ur right to think whatever you like but i am telling you , in order to evaluate someone else work, you have to be in the same field, i dont think you are a machinist , but at the end of the day every1 has the right to evaluate his work the way he wants and the buyer also have the right to accept it or not
2. I am not a native speaker, so i dont understand what is NDA and dont need to, but it looks like you are mixing up between 2 things , a- being honest with people and b- and being able to protect your work by law
so yes it does mean a lot, it means that you have no words to keep unless you are forced by law,
now to answer your question you have to know the whole story, if you even looked back at the history of slug presses you will notice that they are getting smaller and lighter, perhaps many including you will still prefer to own a press that is as big and heavy as possible (again your choice) but many others from china, vietnam and many other countries are racing to sell more and cheaper, when some1 can make a press that does the job at about 1/5 the weight / size of the current smallest one, he can have an edge, because the international shipping cost does increase exponentially with weight and size, if you asked any maker can you make me a press that works at 500 grams of steel he will tell u , u must be kidding me, i made it primarly as a challenge for me to have/use coz i dont own one (i am a machinist i do many other things not just dies/press) then he Andy was interested, the thing is that no maker would think that a press can work at that weight/size, by exposing the design it is now everyone chance to replicate with no concern that it might not work, it took me a while to reach that point, it did not work from first try, thus a higher first cost, not like poeple think i am selling it by weight
you my check my 11 years old page to take an idea of what i make

1) I didn't evaluate your work. I valued it at less than the cost, if I appraised it as worthy of the cost, then you'd have a customer...

2) NDA = non-disclosure agreement.

I have been researching presses for some time and I did see your Facebook page that you make H&N slug dies. Please explain. Using their name and design for a profit.
very good and repeated question and i am glad you asked
first of all you should understand that i am a machinist and not a shooter nor a slug die maker
this whole thing is new to me,, but if u look at my FB page you will find that i do many different stuff since 2013
you will also notice that if i made a design or a logo i dont say i made that (should be known by default) on the other hand if i used a pic or a design provided by the customer i mention that, if i used a pic i found on google i link to it
i am primary a pro graphic designer /photographer, so i respect that point a lot

when i started the die work (asked by a local customer) i was asked to replicate some designed they found
WHY? first of all u have to understand that i am not copping designs just coz i made them cheaper, in fact i hav been told that my cost is close or higher than the original, BUT the problem is for some1 who owns a presslug for instance
he want to keep using his high cost press while using different slug designs that presslug did not provide, not just that , AFAIK customers told me after i asked them why u r not buying the original they said that the size thye want is not there, even for same PS design

some companies accused me i am selling on their behave which is not true, i put the logo to mention that i replicated this design, not that i am the original supplier, and when i talked to them i said that i now understand that it can be missleading (although i thought the opposite) and removed the logos
i am a machinist i do parts from drawings or pics per order
i dont think it is against the low to do that, some1 wanted the H&N design, another wanted a GMI, ZAN ect,
even GMI told me all they are asking is not to use their logo which i did
what u r accusing me is very dangerous and missleading, you know what does it mean, u r accusing me that i am selling on their behave which is never the case, there is no customer that come to me know that i am selling on their behave they already know they are asking for a custom made part from a machinist
there was a funny problem though, did u notice?
my FB page is named GraphicMan Innovations, which can be shorten to GMI ! perhaps that what triggered them
but my page is older than GMI, also my short logo initial is GM and not GMI

42CRMO4 has a maximum hardness of 54C. I don't know what you temper your dies at. However Corbin dies are 62 to 64 C. It may be fine for home use. However your dies won't have the same lifespan of dies made by Corbin. What are the Rc hardness of your dies and punches?

View attachment 500260
yes indeed u can get much more from 42cr, depending on how u heat treat it, i made my very own method after a lot of try and error to achieve that without making it brittle and without making the steel move also because this can be very problematic also, presslug AFAIK uses tollox in its hard state to avoid these issue (i am assuming) but i have hold their dies many times and they are not that hard at all, also some of my customers said the same,
you stick to corbin ofcourse , i am not saying i am the best die maker in the world , i am happy with my good known customers

Do I feel you were scammed? No

Do I feel the product's value is anywhere near its cost? No

Did you take a risk assuming the value would meet or exceed the cost without having pictures/blueprints/ect? Yes

Does the seller owe you anything, even an apology? No

Is exposing the product for what it is and is not, wrong? No

-Matt
This seems spot on to me. I agree with all the points and is basically what Gerry said as well. Scammer isn’t a fair term. Value and “quality “ are somewhat of a subjective term and mean different things to different people. The OP got a product he deemed of low quality and not worth the asking price. That just brings the subjective aspect into play and is the basis of the problem. To call him a scammer isn’t really fair. The seller obviously feels his product and time are worth the value. Clearly the buyer didn’t. It happens and these factors should have been focused on in the review rather than calling the seller an outright scammer.