I Love 3d Printing (RTI Mora/Nate Chrony)

droyd

Aug 2, 2024
I've been told at the beginning of August that I would be having the cheek rest for the Mora by the end of the month. I have yet to receive any emails regarding it being shipped as of this writing, September 3rd, so I decided to make one myself. Managed to find the right screws (M4x0.70x6mm) at my local hardware store and they thread easily. Printing off the final version of this right now, the magazine butts up against the cheek rest on the right side in the photo. Then I'll be printing in PCTG for better UV resistance. Soooo much better than resting my chin on the metal.

I've also created an adapter for the Nate Chrony. Didn't like the huge 55mm adapter he's offering so I've made on myself that has the M15x1 threads on it and it's working great! I'm going to try printing it in PCTG next as the PLA threads are a little weak.

airgunnation mora cheekrest and nc adapter.jpg

Of course 3D printing is the wave of the future, and I understand that.

However that does nothing to decrease my (undying) LOVE of metal and the historically best building material on Earth, wood.

2300 custom JPG.JPG

More specifically (and in order of preferences on guns)-

Metal- 1) STEEL, 2) Stainless STEEL, 3) Aluminum, 4) Brass, 5) Bronze, 6) Zinc (pot-metal), 7) Silver, and 8) Gold. :oops:

Wood- 1) Grade 4 Walnut, 2) Grade 3 Walnut, 3) Grade 2 Walnut, 4) Grade 1 Walnut, 5) Any Walnut, 6) Rosewoods, 7) Hardwoods 8) Whitewoods, 9) Walnut "stained" whitewoods, 10) Dumpsterwood.

The scoped pistol above is a good example of a nice mix of my preferred gun-building materials, boasting an interesting mix of Walnut, steel, brass, aluminum, and zinc (pot-metal).

In case you were wondering :unsure:, yes, I am over thirty years of age.

In fact, over twice that. :eek:

Happy Shooting,
Og 🧌

P.S.- It just occurred to me that (I think) 3D printing is a manufacturing technique also (sometimes) employed with my preferred materials. So...

Never mind! 😅

P.P.S.- On second thought (correction- THIRD thought), the wonderment of 3D oprinting does nothing to decrease my love of less advanced building techniques. More specifically (and in order of preferences)-

1) Elbow Grease, 2) Blood, 3) Sweat, 4) Tears, 5) Saws, 6) Files, 7) Sandpaper, 8) Adult beverage(s). 🥴

Oops, missed a couple-

9) Shower, 10) BED! 🥱

Last edited:
So the gun shipped without a cheek rest that was supposed to be there?
Yes, supposed to have been, at the very least shipped, late August but I have yet to receive communication regarding that. I think Talon Tunes might also be missing the cheek rests as their photos don't include it. I'm also seeing a post by Air Rifle Activities on Youtube having his gun posed without one too.

I was considering a Mora maybe too premature to buy one since if it doesn't come with a cheek rest what else is missing? Other than the missing cheek rest what's your experience with the gun? Is it something you would buy again knowing what you know now?

I have an earlier version of a Edgun r5m that is also a missing that cheek rest. The newer ones have a slip-on cheek rest. Seeing your post on 3D printing one, gave me the idea of printing one up in TPU maybe trying fuzzy skin surface.

I was considering a Mora maybe too premature to buy one since if it doesn't come with a cheek rest what else is missing? Other than the missing cheek rest what's your experience with the gun? Is it something you would buy again knowing what you know now?

I have an earlier version of a Edgun r5m that is also a missing that cheek rest. The newer ones have a slip-on cheek rest. Seeing your post on 3D printing one, gave me the idea of printing one up in TPU maybe trying fuzzy skin surface.
If I were to do this again I would have canceled my pre-order for sure, and if you're right-handed I would not bother with the Mora. It also didn't even come with a manual, I'm still waiting on that. I don't see much gained over the FX Impact Mk IV for instance, just a much bigger plenum for lower pressure shooting. I'd wait for the Epic One if you're looking for something new as the EPIC Two is very, very good and has everything coming with it.

Its performance with some H&N slugs has been pretty good. It's super easy to adjust to a new velocity and tighten it up. The trigger is phenomenal and should be liked by those who like really, really light triggers. I'm looking forward to testing with some pellets now, as they perform a fair bit better group size wise. I've gotten a promising performance with FX Atomics at 925fps. I'm hoping that my experience improves significantly with a cheek rest now. It's a bit uncomfortable and hard to steady the gun with only your chin in contact with the stock.

Regarding TPU, in my opinion, only if it's going to not be hollow. I'd use TPU if it's going to be a sleeve or a skin for something stiff. If you look at the OEM cheek rest for the Mora it relies heavily on a stiff material. I'm actually a little disappointed in PCTG as it's not as stiff as I was hoping. PLA was the just the right amount of stiffness, so I'm going to give PETG-CF a try, hopefully the carbon fiber will give it the stiffness I'm looking for.

After seeing this makes me wonder if it's worth printing carbon fiber limited applications and potential hazards. Maybe you'll get a carbon fiber beard. PETG is pretty flexible you might not like it. And PLA is too heat sensitive would melt in the sunlight of summer.

The Edgun is a slip-on cheek rest so I think TPU would work fine if made in the right, it basically just U shaped and sits on top of the receiver to provide something less cold slippery and hard than anodized aluminum.

What's attractive to me about the Mora are the adjustable bolt length and the large plenum volume giving the potential to shoot heavy 357 slugs to decent velocities while the large shroud in built-in moderator is a good basis for constructing a mouse fart loud 357. Of course that would require a different shroud with much larger volume but the design and believe allows for that. As long as you're not considering portability and aesthetics.

After seeing this makes me wonder if it's worth printing carbon fiber limited applications and potential hazards. Maybe you'll get a carbon fiber beard. PETG is pretty flexible you might not like it. And PLA is too heat sensitive would melt in the sunlight of summer.

The Edgun is a slip-on cheek rest so I think TPU would work fine if made in the right, it basically just U shaped and sits on top of the receiver to provide something less cold slippery and hard than anodized aluminum.

What's attractive to me about the Mora are the adjustable bolt length and the large plenum volume giving the potential to shoot heavy 357 slugs to decent velocities while the large shroud in built-in moderator is a good basis for constructing a mouse fart loud 357. Of course that would require a different shroud with much larger volume but the design and believe allows for that. As long as you're not considering portability and aesthetics.
Oh. Well, yeah never mind thanks for letting me know about the carbon fibers thing. Guess I'll be skipping the carbon fiber stuff. I'm sure it's harmless, it is carbon after all, but I don't need that being embedded into my face. I'll probably go with white PLA or making this design with PCTG more rigid. I'm not terribly worried about the temperature cooking it but the UV rays affecting it.

I can definitely see the Mora being attractive at the .357 caliber. I've got the .25 caliber so I haven't thought of that. I guess at first glance if I'm not getting the Mora in .357 that the other options are more attractive. Especially the Epic One as that can have the cocking lever on either side whereas the Mora is fixed.

I made a camera mount with pla left it in the sun in the camera drooped and it bent more than 30°. And that's in whether this no hotter than 95 fahrenheit. But it was in the Sun so it could have been much hotter on the surface with the sun beating on it. That said you can anneal PLA and it will stand boiling water without bending. Just make sure your pla is printed without any infill. Then put it in a container of fine salt powder or sand. Then bake it in the oven for an hour or two and I believe 220 or so fahrenheit. I have to look it up on the internet I forgot the exact number. The reason you would use fine salt powder over sand is it impacts the surface of the part last and anything that potentially may be embedded into the surface will easily rinse off with water. Whereas if a bit of sand gets melted into the plastic it will stay there. The part will slightly deform but nothing critical in your application. You have to worry about shrinkage which could be depending the type of filament you use anywhere from 1 to 5%. So you'd have to print the parts oversized in certain dimensions to get the right resulting part.

In your opinion how loud is the Mora in 0.25 with and without the attachable moderator?

As for female threads in printed parts, anything that needs to be assembled or disassembled more than a few times I use threaded inserts melted into the plastic. Then you have metal on metal contact and no worries about the degradation of the plastic from disassembly. Plastic threads are really only useful to be tighten once and never unscrewed.

Last edited:
I've also created an adapter for the Nate Chrony. Didn't like the huge 55mm adapter he's offering so I've made on myself that has the M15x1 threads on it and it's working great! I'm going to try printing it in PCTG next as the PLA threads are a little weak.
How dare you! :ROFLMAO:

Glad you found a better solution - with the materials & threads, I always use something with some flex. Vibrations over time & installing/removing will absolutely lead to cracks in the threads as they're pretty sharp angles & fine details.
PCTG would be perfect

I love 3D printing too! I made several parts for my RTI PriestII: cheek rest(it fits with small double sided tape), butt pad, shooting bag rider and a protection for the pressure gauge(Esun PLA+).
I printed also the parts to transform a microphone rest to a C10 rest(added a leather top) with pellet holder(Esun PLA+).
I made also a picatinny rail-trigger guard for the Weihrauch(Carbon PETG).

IMG_20231227_175543_431.jpg

IMG_20231227_175607_071.jpg

IMG_20240912_194043_065.jpg

IMG_20231227_175625_809.jpg

IMG_20231227_175639_218.jpg

IMG_20240125_172514_946.jpg

IMG_20230116_181639_810.jpg

Reactions: OC_ and Scotty1