Tuning I need help in tuning my Air Venturi Avenger PCP

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I am new to PCP airguns but since I purchased my first one, a beginners level .22 caliber Air Venturi Avenger, I love the concept but I am totally unfamiliar with how to correctly set it up! This gun right out of the box seems very accurate and powerful, much more so than my 'springers'.

I am unfamiliar with what a 'regulated' airgun means, and how to set the regulator to the proper pressure, how to set the pressure gauge on the airgun properly, how to set the hammer spring properly. Also I like a 'light' trigger and this gun has a very nice adjustable one but I don't know how to set it up safely!

I also purchased a proper compressor and extra magazines.

The important points to me are; Light trigger, Good accuracy at 35 to 50 yards, and strong power up to about 900 FPS with JSB Hades 15,89 gr. and JSB EXACT 18,13 gr. pellets.

I am in need of detailed, 'baby steps' information because I know very little about PCP airguns, compressors, and although I am over 80 years old, this is only my second computer.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer, Regards, and stay safe my friends! gkenny.

I would Break it in shoot at least 500 rounds first before adjusting anything to avoid any potential issues in all my new guns purchased especially if they have regulators. That's just ME though. 

I kinda like buying USED because the break in shots are likely already done for me.

Thank you Odoyle, I am almost there now, I will come back here when I get to 500 or 600.

Regards, gkenny.

A regulated air gun is a consistent air gun, basically the Regulator regulates the air pressure to a consistent level so all shots are within a consistent velocity, it shoots the same speed on all shots within the regulated level of air, once it falls off the regulator then the shot speed will drop, depending on the regulator setting and Hammer spring setting, the higher the regulator pressure the higher the air pressure to the pellet, the hammer spring tension regulates the amount of time the Poppet/ Valve is open, it can be used to increase or decrease the Feet Per Second (FPS) of the Pellet, using the two in sequence can produce higher FPS and higher FPE with better efficiency, you can also increase your shot count by decreasing the hammer spring tension or the Regulator pressure, finding the sweet spot is the primary goal, but adjustability for power is what the gun is designed for, low power for small pests or targets higher power for larger game, finding what you want is up to you, I myself tend to like lower to medium power for small pests and medium size game, so I like to keep the regulator at a medium high setting, depending on the gun and regulator type, I like to set the regulator around 1500 psi and back the hammer spring out to where I get around 750-900 fps, depending on the caliber and weight of the round, .22 cal 18 grain I like lower fps, around 750-800 fps, .25 cal 33 grain I tend to like higher fps, around 850-950 fps, play with different settings and find what suit you best.

good luck

A regulated air gun is a consistent air gun, basically the Regulator regulates the air pressure to a consistent level so all shots are within a consistent velocity, it shoots the same speed on all shots within the regulated level of air, once it falls off the regulator then the shot speed will drop, depending on the regulator setting and Hammer spring setting, the higher the regulator pressure the higher the air pressure to the pellet, the hammer spring tension regulates the amount of time the Poppet/ Valve is open, it can be used to increase or decrease the Feet Per Second (FPS) of the Pellet, using the two in sequence can produce higher FPS and higher FPE with better efficiency, you can also increase your shot count by decreasing the hammer spring tension or the Regulator pressure, finding the sweet spot is the primary goal, but adjustability for power is what the gun is designed for, low power for small pests or targets higher power for larger game, finding what you want is up to you, I myself tend to like lower to medium power for small pests and medium size game, so I like to keep the regulator at a medium high setting, depending on the gun and regulator type, I like to set the regulator around 1500 psi and back the hammer spring out to where I get around 750-900 fps, depending on the caliber and weight of the round, .22 cal 18 grain I like lower fps, around 750-800 fps, .25 cal 33 grain I tend to like higher fps, around 850-950 fps, play with different settings and find what suit you best.

good luck

Thank you KatoKevin454,

you have given me an excellent explanation of the items I needed help with! I now have the basis I need to proceed as you have so clearly outlined here!

Thank you again, regards, gkenny.