I need your help & advice

I pulled out my 357 Aea to check it out for I,m going on a pig hunt in the future. It was shooting way low and to the right. Same scope
ect is on it when I put it away. It may have got bumped, dropped, who knows? Any way I been trying to dial it in I have the horizontal dialed
in, but the vertical still shooting two inches low at 25 yards after I ran out of adjustment. Can I shim the bottom of rear ring to correct
it? If so how much ? I have just bought new rings to see if that would help but it did not.Or should I just put the other scope on?

🪰Fly

What distance was your sight-in before it was stored? What is the questionable scope, and what is the other scope you mentioned? For ethical hunting purposes, I would be very hesitant to use a scope/ring/system that is randomly losing zero, be it a bump or otherwise. While shimming could “solve” the problem, I would be even more hesitant to put a bandaid fix on a possibly compromised system.

It was zeroed in when I put it up. I had removed stock & refinIshed it. But that was last year. Who knows
what happened to it. Well, this other scope i was just going to see if I could zero it in with these rings. But
if the rings are ok I may just order a new scope. I have never had this happen so I,m just trying figure what
to do? My sight in distance was 50 yards.

🪰Fly

Last edited:
I do not shim rings but I have shims under the picatinny rail of my guns that did not come with a 20 MOA rail. I put them between the back end of the scope rail (one piece) and the gun. That way it does not put an uneven load on the scope. I use a strip cut out of an old Coke can. About 5 layers works well for me. I cut the aluminum with scissors, fold it, drill it, and install it.

I would probably try this but I'd want to get a bunch of shots on the gun/scope to be confident in it for hunting. As you are apparently thinking the scope could be damaged.

Reactions: JimBentley
It was zeroed in when I put it up. I had removed stock & refinIshed it. But that was last year. Who knows
what happened to it. Well, this other scope i was just going to see if I could zero it in with these rings. But
if the rings are ok I may just order a new scope. I have never had this happen so I,m just trying figure what
to do? My sight in distance was 50 yards.

🪰Fly
I would zero (center)the scope itself . so you are looking through center glass then remount no shims . start over like a new scope .