I'll do my own pesting thank you...

This individual was hanging around looking to dispose of some rats mice and an occasional pocket gopher but I denied permission and sent him/her on its way...off my property...after explaining that I would take care any pesting issues myself thank you. It left peacefully and unmolested.
1000002944.jpg

This individual was hanging around looking to dispose of some rats mice and an occasional pocket gopher but I denied permission and sent him/her on its way...off my property...after explaining that I would take care any pesting issues myself thank you. It left peacefully and unmolested.View attachment 459775
I appreciate you not killing it. I think that does really great sportsmanship.

If I didn't have dogs I'd give them a pass also but I've lost 2 dogs to em and spent $13000 saving 2 others.

I run four pointers in the high desert around here. Rattle snakes are given no quarter. Some well meaning people have told me that I am wasting my time because you cannot kill them all. No you cannot but you can reduce the chance of a dog running afoul of one of them. I have nothing against them, I just am a lot fonder of my pointers.
Also, my dogs get a rattlesnake vaccine every year. My vet tells me he has not lost one dog to snake bite that was vaccinated. You still have to get the dog to a vet in short order. The vaccine buys you the time needed to get them help.

Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
There is always competition for pesting. I was forced to pass on a shot at hosp yesterday realizing the neighbors cat was stalking my bird feeders and positioned itself as the backdrop to my point of aim. A pass through would have made for a very awkward conversation.
Exact thing happened to me around 2002. After attempting to talk to neighbor about their cat killing songbirds off my feeders I knew it was a lost cause. The conversation on their end went so bad I wanted to just SSS on them. I trapped their cat, dropped it off at the animal shelter. I left it's collar on so the shelter got in touch with the neighbors and they went to retrieve their cat. Gave me no end of grief and wanted me to pay the fee they had to pay the shelter. I had the police explain the facts of life to them, no domestic animals are allowed to run free in city limits, keep your cat indoors or on a leash at all times. Wasn't a couple days later the cat disappeared, permanently..... They had their chance to keep the damn thing, apparently they just didn't give a flip. I smiled a lot at a good shot, drive to my deer lease, disposal, and some target shooting while there. The cat would get in position and freeze not ever moving until a bird was in range for the lunge, just like a paper target, RWS 48 .22 brain shot, instant death.

I thought it was a rattlesnake, a snake that size should have had 8 rattles at least, didn't see them. We're suppose to have a bumper crop of them in CA.

I'm on my phone & don't have my reading glasses but I do feel that the size of the button & the proportions of the snake make it hard to tell how big it is.

Rattlesnakes can lose segments of their rattles & there is thought to be a genetic mutation where some don't develop them at all.

I do not know to what degree this may affect Eastern Diamondbacks, however.

Would be curious to know the size of the pieces of gravel around the snake in the picture.

there size dont always meen they will have more rattlers....i have got them in my combine and bailing hay without knowing until i see them in or on the product.
i weighed one one time and it was 6lbs and 40"....it had 3 rattlers and a button but it had
1.25" fangs !!!!
such a great asset to a cattle farm !!
here in the deep south, they wont mess with cattle, but they will strike a kiyot in a heart beat 🤘

Last edited:
I'd put money on 36", really close to 48". It's a big one. Just proportions on the surrounding rocks show it's a big one.
This was a full sized adult snake, conservatively 4 to 5 feet...something got his rattles...Diamondbacks get bigger but this one was the biggest one I ever saw on the hoof! Er....scales...lol.

This individual was hanging around looking to dispose of some rats mice and an occasional pocket gopher but I denied permission and sent him/her on its way...off my property...after explaining that I would take care any pesting issues myself thank you. It left peacefully and unmolested.View attachment 459775
No argument I hope.