• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana I'll say it again, NO MORE NEW GUNS!

Well last evening I found a 36 Diana, that the seller claimed was in Very Good Conditions. But with the pics he sent I really couldn't tell how good VERY GOOD was. But by chance he was only 45 minutes away. So I dickered a price with him if it was he stated. I aint sure but think I found good one, and cheaper than I can buy a new one.

Oh and he had a front sight set for it as well. The sights are hardly ever with these old guns that I've seen. But at 9:30pm I loaded Carter man, my trusty side kick in the truck.
Carter 8-16-2022.JPG

Then we headed his way. I'm pretty glad I made this trip, and even happier I broke my no more springer comment! If he didn't tell me had shot it, I would have believed him. This gun is not Very Good, it is MINT! I could not even tell a scope had ever been put on it.
101.JPG
104.JPG
105.JPG
118.JPG
110.JPG

I mean this rifle is so close to new condition, I broke out the Canon 1D-X and my favorite 24-70 lens to get pictures. 1993 build date with the old T01 trigger, and the Diana emblem and Model 36 stamped receiver. I threw the old RWS 4x36 non AO scope on it and did some chronographing. I sighted in with Crow Magnums, a pellet that has always just shot so so in my other springers. But at 820.4 fps average after 10 shots, I decided to shoot ten more in the same group. I flyer in the first 10 on shot 3 I had to see if it was just the scope setteling down. Well for about 15 or 16 shots I thought it was, then another fllyer. But for 20 shots at 20 yards, From an old rifle that has hardly ever seen a pellet. I'm pretty stoked!
20240626_121307[1].jpg

I shot it again off hand, and this gun is unruley! I have a vintage 2005 that shoots lights out, with the HO pg4 Vortek kit I put in it. So I'll see if this gun will settel down and if I can give it the same manners I gave the 34. If not, the 34 has a new dress! This stock was what drew me to look at this gun to start with. I figured if it was in excellent condition, I would just update the 34 stock to the deluxe the 36 comes with. Then just sell the 36 in the 34 stock. But we all know how this stuff is so addicting. I'll keep it as is if it shoots as good as the 34 when I get done tuning it. The same tune the 34 got made it a real lady instead of an unruly B!+(h. and it shoots that good offhand standing. just bracing my forearm against something.
111.JPG

I'll Move the 4-16x50 Airmax over to the 77K and put the 4-12x40 Airmax off of it on this 36 once I get the tune kit and tune this gun this weekend, I'll report back with an update, hopefully the 36 will quiet down quit jumping around and I'll eliminate that twang. I'll live with the speed where it is at, but I want it to shoot affhand standing as good as it shoots rested on a bag now.

Oh ya, and soon as I find the Laminated 77K in 177 Im looking for this, thats it for adding more air rifles,,, no more!;)

Having long wanted a walnut-stocked Diana 38 with no results, several months ago I bought a walnut-stained 38 off the AGN classifieds. Impressed enough with its performance, per my usual habit I took each step in turn as any gun proves itself worthy during testing. A Maccari spring and seal returned the velocity and firing behavior I sought. My testing notes-

8.4 gr FX, with Maccari kit, 20 shots- Low= 861, Hi= 872, ES= 11, SD= 3, Avg= 865 FPS/14.0 foot pounds.

But much preferring shorter rifles and carbines, it took quite some fretting to overcome the fear of possibly ruining a perfectly good D38 by CHOPPING the barrel!🥵🥶 Thankfully this barrel chop went as well as all others I've done.🙂

8.44 JSB, bbl cut to 15.5”, 15 shot string- 853 868 15 4.5 860/13.9

7.87 gr JSB, 15.5” barrel, 15 shot string- 889 898 9 2.8 894/14.0

A muzzle gizmo completed my vision perfectly-

Diana 38K.jpg

When I do my part she consistently posts five-shot groups at 50 yards of 3/4 to 1" c-t-c from field target position (stool and bipod). I have no doubt Di is capable of keeping her shots touching at 50 yards; but I'm not.

My shooting buddy (Maggyy)-

Mags sofa.jpg

Having long wanted a walnut-stocked Diana 38 with no results, several months ago I bought a walnut-stained 38 off the AGN classifieds. Impressed enough with its performance, per my usual habit I took each step in turn as any gun proves itself worthy during testing. A Maccari spring and seal returned the velocity and firing behavior I sought. My testing notes-

8.4 gr FX, with Maccari kit, 20 shots- Low= 861, Hi= 872, ES= 11, SD= 3, Avg= 865 FPS/14.0 foot pounds.

But much preferring shorter rifles and carbines, it took quite some fretting to overcome the fear of possibly ruining a perfectly good D38 by CHOPPING the barrel!🥵🥶 Thankfully this barrel chop went as well as all others I've done.🙂

8.44 JSB, bbl cut to 15.5”, 15 shot string- 853 868 15 4.5 860/13.9

7.87 gr JSB, 15.5” barrel, 15 shot string- 889 898 9 2.8 894/14.0

A muzzle gizmo completed my vision perfectly-

View attachment 475163

When I do my part she consistently posts five-shot groups at 50 yards of 3/4 to 1" c-t-c from field target position (stool and bipod). I have no doubt Di is capable of keeping her shots touching at 50 yards; but I'm not.

My shooting buddy (Maggyy)-

View attachment 475165

You are really tempting me. Those are great results with the IMPROVED barrel length. I started to cut the old 20 year old Diana down to a 14 to 15 inch length and add a barrel cocking aid, looks much like the one you have on yours , available from AOA. But was told it has a choke at the muzzle, and I could risk loosing accuracy.

Right now that 34 will group under 1/4" @ 25 yards. Ilove the shorter barrels but I just can't get myself to risk that with the 34. BUT!!! Now I have this 36! I will get it tore down, all new innards in it, and we'll see. If this gun shoots as smooth quiet and accurate as the 34. I'll take the dive and hope my efforts don't ruin what I have now with the 34.

Then, and only then, I will be forced to do the same with the 36. But thanks for that report on your results, and what a cute shootin pard!!

that is a good looking stock.. but I really like the color combination with the scope, don't think I have ever seen a scope that color.
Mark
That scope came on the 36 T05 Diana when I bought it. Someone over sprayed the flat black scope and rings to get that look. When I bought it from the pics I thought maybe I was getting some kind of special classic special edition. But instead its just somebody's way of making a one of!! Definitely the only one I have ever seen. But I'm with you, it does have a certain mystique to to it. I only keep it around with the dual X reticle that covers a dime sized bull at 20 yards because as different as it is, it's priceless, meaning I would not be able to get anything out of it,,,,,, (y)

Reactions: markhooper
But was told it has a choke at the muzzle, and I could risk loosing accuracy.

Right now that 34 will group under 1/4" @ 25 yards. Ilove the shorter barrels but I just can't get myself to risk that with the 34.

I can relate, Wildcat! 😬🥶🥵 And although I wouldn't lobby anyone to chop an airgun barrel, I do feel compelled to provide some insights born of experience(s).

I can almost assure you the 34 barrel IS choked, so understand your hesitation. But of all the airgun barrels I've chopped, the only ones I suspect were not choked were 1950s and 60s vintage Crosman Model 180 (several) and 187 (one) Co2 rifles that I've converted to pistols. ALL those pistols came out at least as accurate as the original rifles. Two good examples-

187 Titles.jpg

My 1960s vintage .177 Crosman 187 pistol conversion AVERAGES .67" five-shot groups at 50 yards, and has three each State and National Champion field target titles to its credit (so far).

1719509332855.png

My 1950s vintage .22 Crosman 180 pistol conversion averages 3/8" groups at 25 yards and 3/4" at 50, but has only ONE State Champion title to its credit. The photo above shows three consecutive five-shot groups at 50 yards, with a quarter for size reference. Not too shabby for an 8 foot pound .22 Co2 pistol.

Emboldened to the point of (nevertheless reluctantly) jumping into dark waters head-first, I then converted a less-than-impressively-accurate (1" averages at 50 yards) .177 Brocock Bantam HiLite PCP rifle into a pistol that shoots rings around its previous rifle self. That rifle barrel was definitely choked, and chopping off the choke definitely improved accuracy. From my testing notes- 7/16/2022- Five consecutive five-shot groups at 50 yards with 13.43 JSB Monsters at 810 FPS averaged .66” c-t-c. The smallest group measured .46”.

Bro Rif and Pis.jpg

Further emboldened into taking further foolish risks, I then butchered a perfectly good (and accurate) .22 Brocock Snipoer HR rifle that I paid $2200 for into a pistol/carbine convertible. That Lothar Walther barrel was definitely also choked.

Sniper convertible.jpg

The pistol (or carbine) consistently shoots five shot groups of an inch and less at 70 yards.

Again, I'm not encouraging you to chop a perfectly good (choked) airgun barrel. However, obviously neither am I doing anything to discourage it. ;)