I'm looking for a multi-pump air rifle from a Mfg. who has consistent Quality Control... Any suggestions?

After much searching of countless reviews today, with screws falling out, bolts that have a heavy drag, triggers that freeze, what's described as a flimsy pump system and so on from some of the Seneca Dragonfly Mk2 owners and their reviews (although their are plenty of happy 4 and 5 star reviews that state no problems right out of the box) I've come to the conclusion that there has to be a manufacturer with better overall quality control than what I'm seeing from Air Venturi. It's maybe a step down, at least in price, but does Crosman still manufacture their air rifles in the USA, I've seen a general consensus in their reviews that for the low entry level price they are pretty reliable and accurate air rifles. It maybe that with the low prices no one has high expectations but I'm not sure.
I may have to give up my search for a multi-pump and go with a break-barrel but for now I would like for my first air rifle to be an accurate and reliable multi-pump... Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...

Reactions: BABz58
You'd be better off looking for an older sheridan/Benjamin if you want quality.

They seemed to be very robust guns.

As for accurate, that can be achieved with a MPP, but in my experience, the pumping gets the heart rate up and then I gotta relax before the shot. I don't have that kind of time, especially if I'm pesting.

I own nothing but PCPs now for a reason.

A used Sheridan or Benjamin 397 would be my suggestion. Light and relatively powerful. The best current model is likely a Crosman 362 if you're just concerned about durability.

I prefer peeps on my light pumpers. Scopes can be a problem on the soldered barrel rifles like the Sheridan because the mounts clamp on the barrel and can separate it from the pump tube with the weight and the leverage of the mounts. They CAN be used if careful... not trying to say they can't.
Bob

After much searching of countless reviews today, with screws falling out, bolts that have a heavy drag, triggers that freeze, what's described as a flimsy pump system and so on from some of the Seneca Dragonfly Mk2 owners and their reviews (although their are plenty of happy 4 and 5 star reviews that state no problems right out of the box) I've come to the conclusion that there has to be a manufacturer with better overall quality control than what I'm seeing from Air Venturi. It's maybe a step down, at least in price, but does Crosman still manufacture their air rifles in the USA, I've seen a general consensus in their reviews that for the low entry level price they are pretty reliable and accurate air rifles. It maybe that with the low prices no one has high expectations but I'm not sure.
I may have to give up my search for a multi-pump and go with a break-barrel but for now I would like for my first air rifle to be an accurate and reliable multi-pump... Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...
I agree with dr. kralenstein about the pumpers. You can check out the Diana’s single strokes such as the indestructible md 48. And guality Beemans.

Reactions: Stingingfork
I just kind of see them as collectibles these days. For actual shooting I don't think any of them measure up. The old guns actually were pretty good for their time, but springers got better and PCP's got way better and multipumps just got worse. An old Sheridan is about the best you're going to get IMO. There are some Sears/Crosman 140's that came with dovetails on them. The Sharp's are said to be very good and there's a Webley Rebel, (rebadged Malaysian Sharp), on ebay now at a decent price.

I went down this rabbit hole and ended up with a NOS 1972 Sheridan Blue Streak. Original box had water damage and was missing some stuff but the rifle was perfect. Had it resealed and zero'd it with the H&N Field Target Trophies. Three pumps for thirty yards and five pumps for fifty-five yards and the pellets will zip right through a soup can.

Find a NOS Sheridan or a gently used one. Sheridan nailed it all those years ago and no one has come close to it since.

I don't miss clack,clack,clack, clack ..ouch blood blister ..

I'd just go with a simple break barrel ..
You don't have to break the bank on something decent . I got gamo that shoots along my hw/r9 just as good at 1/2 the money .. and a stronger gun too boot. With any there the ol good or bad . It's always a you buy , you try, and hope it don't make you cry thing ..

Good luck

Any pcp is a multi pump rifle if you buy a hand pump. At low power levels like what it seems you are looking for....1 pump per shot, but you could have hundreds of shots on deck and waiting for you.

Just a thought

Mike
This is the same conclusion that I reached. The problem with it is that all of the handpumps out there are way larger and heavier than the pump mechanism on a MPP. I ended up with a Huben pump which according to my bathroom scale weighs a bit over 2 lbs. It's a great pump, but it's still too big and heavy to be a good substitute for an MPP.

What I'd really like to see is a company make a high quality ACP or small and lightweight hand pump. There have been a number of attempts at ACP's in the past, but no one has really done it well.

I have several Sheridan Blue Streaks and Silver Streaks from the 60's and 70's and no multipump made today can compare in build quality and accuracy. I also have 2 Seneca Dragonflys and can tell you from first hand experience they can't hold a candle to the old Sheridans. I actually had to return the first Dragonfly because it was defective right out of the box.

Pump,pump,pump,pump,pump,pump,pump,pump,pump and pump. Now take your shot and start over again. Add four more pumps if it’s had a Steroid tune for full power. Does that sound like fun? As much as I enjoy taking the shot with a fine old Sheridan I will probably never buy another. PCPs are awesome but granted do require commitment. Give me a nice Weihrauch built springer over a pump gun any day.

Last edited:
If you want quality...FX independence

unfortunately no longer made.

might need to find one in the used market.

There's one in gun broker .com

1723768806545.png

Last edited:
Your only real choice is the Crosman 362. It is USA built and with some work can be a fine little rifle. As a hunter I would prefer a light multi-pump or now a PCP. The Crosman 3622 is the PCP version of the multi-pump 362. For plinking cans with no expectation of accuracy then one of those horrid, huge, heavy, obnoxious break barrel things might do but for hunting, not for me, and that is an opinion granted.

I have the steroid modded 342, it is an okay rifle with decent accuracy to 25 yards, can get about 16 fpe. It is light and svelte and fine for squirrels and stuff at closer ranges. I do not like the soldered on brass barrels including Sheriden guns but they are what they are.

I got three of these on closeout from Academy for $49 each. All metal, USA made. I kept two and had one steroid modded and I home modded the other. The third one I gave to a neighbor for pest control. He took a skunk down with it just yesterday.

Got this Crosman 140 sometime around 1964 Christmas I think, it still shoots and is more accurate than the Benjis by a skosh but not as powerful.

My new Crosman 3622 with my JSAR Benjamin M-Rod .25. The 3622 is 16 fpe for 24 shots, the M-Rod at current tune is 54 fpe for 24 shots.

Last edited:
That Seneca, that you say had a lot of 5 and 4 star reviews, and gave other people problems, are your best bet right now. The consistent quality comes from you. Learn how to fix it, diagnose, and spot problems, and you won't have many problems, with anything. It is easier than trying to find an old relic, and even if you do, it will need something, eventually, and parts hunting will be worse.

If you want quality...FX independence

unfortunately no longer made.

might need to find one in the used market.

There's one in gun broker .com

View attachment 488674
No longer made for a reason .. they filled with water
The problem with the Independance/Indy is that there is no way to remove the moisture accumulated from pumping in the air.
This is especially a bad situation if you live in a humid area
I thought it was the answer to "never have to use a compressor again" ... but it wasn't the case.
not all parts are corrosion resistent inside your air rifle
you should have seen the coffe brown liquid that was removed from the inside of the rifle
I never got it fixed because the same thing would happen again
It's a sad situation, because when it worked...the rifle was soo much fun
I would NOT recommend as an option