Impact 600 or 700 barrel for 300 yd shots with slugs

Getting ready to order a 22 cal impact. Slug liner and power kit along with a donnyfl ronnin.

Shorter the better but also want to get to 300 yds. Like to shoot the Javalin 40 gr. Anybody doing with 600mm ? Or do I need to get the 700.? Maybe the 33-34 gain slugs?

Also do the 40 grain work in factory mags? Getting mixed answers on this..

Thanks y’all

Any idea on what max distance would be on 1 moa targets with the 600 and sub 30 gr?
Pcps really need barrel length to perform the best. They are dramatically different from powder burners. You will need to run a 700mm minimum, and you will not be able to maintain 1moa out to 300yds. I dont want to ruffle your feathers but I think you need to reel in your expectations before you spend several thousand dollars just to be disapointed. My 25Cal Impact slugger build is very dialed in, but its nowhere close to a 22lr.

If you just want to ring some big steel at 300yds for fun, then you will be able to accomplish that with enough time and money. Keep in mind the overwhelming majority of people never find a slug combo that really shoots well. There is this false notion online now that an Impact/Maverick will shoot extreme distances by just swapping to a random slug. That really isnt the case; it takes a lot of upgrades, knowledge, time, and luck. But it is certainly possible to achieve 2-4moa at long distance, with a very few combos getting that magic 1moa.

Reactions: Dixie3bass
Read what MongooseV8 wrote every night before you go to bed for a week before you spend any money. You are talking like a guy who’s watched too many videos. I will never say certain things can’t happen. But what I will say is with those kind of expectations, you’ll have your work cut out for you and your wallet for the foreseeable future. And in the end, might just give up and shoot pellets at realistic distances. Which a 600mm Impact is more than capable of.

My M3 700mm 22 is highly modified . i shoot 27gr and 36gr slugs
I shoot regularly out to 500yds with the airgun.

These plates ( attached pics) are circa 6" dia.. at 300 and 350yds .. and i would be absolutely bullpoopting if i said there was a 100% hit rate at those distances...far from it. So the plates are 6" ( 3moa ish ) but...the slugs in the dirt make the real group size bigger !!!

I consider myself very a proficient shooter and my modded M3 is genuinely sub moa at 100yds ... but expecting 1 moa at those distances ( 300yds +) is pure fantasy......regardless of what the many Youtube videos put forward.

M3-#2.jpg

M3.jpg

350yds-10-4-2024.jpg

300yds-5-3-2024.jpg

M3-IMPACT-300YDS-28.5-NSA-@.jpg

Appreciate all the feedback. I don’t even get 1 moa with my rimx or vuddo at 300. On a good day I’ve come close but I don t punch paper after getting them shooting. Just steel. If you watched the video the first 3 targets most shooters can hit and the last 2 are much more challenging. No one had cleaned the course yet. I cleaned the 300 back in may.

I have just become able to shoot 123 meters, which i think is around 140 yards, me only shooting .177 and coming from a comfortable 86 M / 92 yards it suddenly feel very far.
BUT ! i have put lead on the 123 M and it looked to be quite nice.

I have cut down a 700 mm standard FX barrel to be able to shoot heavier stuff ( 16 & 20 grain ) and it seem to work. ( able to push 20 grain past 1000 FPS )
Tomorrow i will try my Two at the new ranges and see how it like that.

The plan as always is to shoot my 2" targets, and play "annihilate the red base", the red base being the .22 or so small dot in the middle of the targets.

CUZ that is what matter to me, target size and not distance, so going up to 5 - 7 - 10 " targets even further away, that will not cut it for me, even if they are probably very hard to hit.

So by choice, my targets sizes are 2 and 3" or smaller, and that is what i will use going forward no matter how far i try to shoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigHUN