FX Impact POI help!

Hi all..fairly new to the FX PCP game ...

The issue happens when I come back to the bench and put a few last shots on paper.... I'll start shooting at paper and my POI will have shifted wildly up to 2-2.5" to the left or right. never consistent one way or the other, but the last three outings it happened every time. I'm not jostling the gun hard on walks, setting it down soft so I don't think its a physical handling thing.

Looking to eliminate variables that might be the culprit. ...
Shooting rings from bench especially longer distances have its own science.
The LOP is more critical;
The grip angle is not the same as shooting offhand;
The trigger control... at the bench don't wrap your palm around a grip you can do a single point contact only;
The scope height is different;
The scope F-R distance for proper eye box - how to get to it - is very different;
Reduce and minimize all possible torque to the gun, it is sitting on the bench. Spend more on grip/trigger time and now go back offhand shooting with these new technics and you will see the difference can make.

Bench rest shooters prefers more a vertical grip style, and sitting more "behind the gun" vs leaning over to the scope;

finally got the ranch range extended to 85 yards. So we have 25/50/75/85 at our disposal. Took the Impact m3 out saturday and got some real bench testing time.

New moderator on the front (ronin). got the helix remounted and shot fx hybrid slugs thru zeroed at 50. 4.5 clicks out on the bottle valve, macro 16, micro 4. 1/2" groups at 50. moved out the 85 and using ballistics chart clicked in 6MOA. MONEY! 1' groups.

THEN, zoomed back out to 50 yards. POI OFF 2-3". WTHHHHH. so frustrating.

I repeated the same erxercise with hades at 4 clicks bottle valve, macro 14, micro 3.5. zero at 50 (great groups), 7.5MOA at 85, great groups. went back to 50 yards (still zeero'd perfect), back to 85..perfect, back to 50...perfect.

So, less pressure and hammer spring tension pushing less air means more manageable barrel pressure and harmonics.

What we have here is an Impact m3 pellet gun. and I think that's what I live with unless I wanna dump a bunch of money into the thing and chase more rabbits down the hole.

Reactions: Revoman and Rich_B
finally got the ranch range extended to 85 yards. So we have 25/50/75/85 at our disposal. Took the Impact m3 out saturday and got some real bench testing time.

New moderator on the front (ronin). got the helix remounted and shot fx hybrid slugs thru zeroed at 50. 4.5 clicks out on the bottle valve, macro 16, micro 4. 1/2" groups at 50. moved out the 85 and using ballistics chart clicked in 6MOA. MONEY! 1' groups.

THEN, zoomed back out to 50 yards. POI OFF 2-3". WTHHHHH. so frustrating.

I repeated the same erxercise with hades at 4 clicks bottle valve, macro 14, micro 3.5. zero at 50 (great groups), 7.5MOA at 85, great groups. went back to 50 yards (still zeero'd perfect), back to 85..perfect, back to 50...perfect.

So, less pressure and hammer spring tension pushing less air means more manageable barrel pressure and harmonics.

What we have here is an Impact m3 pellet gun. and I think that's what I live with unless I wanna dump a bunch of money into the thing and chase more rabbits down the hole.
Yep. Now that you tested against pellets, you’ve reached the conclusion that most guys are in denial of. Great pellet gun, finicky slug gun. From 2021 to 2023 all my Impacts never fired a pellet until I sold them. That’s what the new owners wanted. I stopped at nothing trying to make them the best day to day, month to month sluggers. After machining a bunch of barrels and other components, I felt I had them as good as they can get so I bought one as a pellet shooter. Completely different gun. A wonderful gun. Decided after almost a year to just try some slugs in the gun as is. Instant pain in the @$$. So I started machining components for it to get it to behave with slugs. An Impact is not an out of the box slug gun unless you have real lax standards. It has the power but is lacking in other areas that a slug gun needs to be tough and consistent.

Yep. Now that you tested against pellets, you’ve reached the conclusion that most guys are in denial of. Great pellet gun, finicky slug gun. From 2021 to 2023 all my Impacts never fired a pellet until I sold them. That’s what the new owners wanted. I stopped at nothing trying to make them the best day to day, month to month sluggers. After machining a bunch of barrels and other components, I felt I had them as good as they can get so I bought one as a pellet shooter. Completely different gun. A wonderful gun. Decided after almost a year to just try some slugs in the gun as is. Instant pain in the @$$. So I started machining components for it to get it to behave with slugs. An Impact is not an out of the box slug gun unless you have real lax standards. It has the power but is lacking in other areas that a slug gun needs to be tough and consistent.
yep. you said it all

ordered a black arts clamp, and air marksman rail a few weeks ago and installed them yesterday. took everything out and resighted it this afternoon...money. Gun shoots and feels a whole lot more "rigid". no impact shifting at distances/scope zooms/etc. I think its still a pellet gun as is, but shooting JSB hades at 930 fps its an absolute cannon, accurate out to 150+ yards and fun as hell to shoot. so thats gonna be just fine with me. On a side note, I put some FX hybrids into my .25 maverick and the POI was the EXACT same as the JSB Hades. same hole at 50 yards and sub MOA at 85 yards. absolutely savage rifle, no movement, perfect trigger. It's so much more accurate than the impact in .35, but then again its shooting much lighter projectiles as lower pressures.