In search of the elusive one hole group

The only part of this I feel qualified to discuss is the consistency of manufacture of pellets or bullets. Lots of folks here swear by JSB pellets — one of the world's largest and most popular manufacturers. However for a high degree of accuracy, repeatability, and consistency of shot placement, their runs are too variable. I don't feel it makes any difference between lots or tins. It's not at all like Ely 22 lr ammo at all. I weight sort every pellet in a tin and don't even look to see lot numbers. I then sort by head size. I have never received a single pellet from JSB that is the head size reported on the tin. Always way over size. All this said, my rifles and pistols don't seem to be sensitive to head size (unless running way undersize) but I try to keep every pellet in a shot string the same head size and close weight tolerance. I still get fliers, but not as much. But then accuracy is what I am after. I don't hunt — I shoot paper. And a flier for me is the shot that makes a perfect group not be round! 😅
Yeah, I shoot paper also - I'm not a hunter. I can actually manage up to 65 yards from inside my workshop with the rear overhead door open - 80 yards if I want to open the front overhead door and be out in the public eye). I have targets set up at five different distances, all using boxes stuffed with red rubber mulch. I print my own targets and have about four varieties that I use the most. The elusive one hole result is my goal at any distance - still working on that! Plan on trying your single hole challenge on cold or rainy days. I enjoy reading your posts - always very informative.

Just keep in mind Randall, if I cheated myself, then the mission would be over! I'm in this for the long haul. I have no thoughts that a 4.52mm hole 5 shot group is even physically possible, but I can dream. Thanks for the encouragement. It's a blast sitting here in no wind conditions - just me and the pistol. Dreaming I'll get 5 pellets so perfect they all go through exactly the same hole! What a dreamer, eh? 😅🤣😂
Great answer! You are who you are when no one is watching.

Reactions: rsfrid
Hello @rsfrid

OK Ross, as soon as my new pistol arrives I am going to try your challenge. Boy I see a lot of paper targets shot to pieces.... :confused:

ThomasT
What are you getting? And keep the distance in close. This is about the smallest hole possible - which is the diameter of a single pellet. Not sure it's possible, but it trains me to stay "in the zone" as snipers call it. Will be good for 25 yard benchrest later this winter.

Reactions: ThomasT and 450BM
What are you getting? And keep the distance in close. This is about the smallest hole possible - which is the diameter of a single pellet. Not sure it's possible, but it trains me to stay "in the zone" as snipers call it. Will be good for 25 yard benchrest later this winter.
Hello again @rsfrid

I ordered a .177 cal Artemis PP-800 from Krale so it will be at best the end of next week. I plan to make several modifications and some sort of a scope. I had planned to mount a Red Dot with a Laser, which I will still do, but I ordered today a Vector Optics Cerato Ultra Compact 3-9x32 SFP Mildot AO (3 Yards) Rifle Scope. Note that it will focus down to 3-yards. This little scope should be a hoot to shoot. I will be able to shoot 8-yards indoors in my shop. This is going to be fun.

ThomasT

Hello again @rsfrid

I ordered a .177 cal Artemis PP-800 from Krale so it will be at best the end of next week. I plan to make several modifications and some sort of a scope. I had planned to mount a Red Dot with a Laser, which I will still do, but I ordered today a Vector Optics Cerato Ultra Compact 3-9x32 SFP Mildot AO (3 Yards) Rifle Scope. Note that it will focus down to 3-yards. This little scope should be a hoot to shoot. I will be able to shoot 8-yards indoors in my shop. This is going to be fun.

ThomasT
That's like the Diana Airbug? Nice pistol. I have a Bugbuster on mine. Buck-Rail makes lots of mods for the Airbug that should work, like a silencer.

Reactions: ThomasT
That's like the Diana Airbug? Nice pistol. I have a Bugbuster on mine. Buck-Rail makes lots of mods for the Airbug that should work, like a silencer.
Hey again Ross,

Yep I have a Chaser with all of the Buck-Rail accessories and a Bandit factory stock. I want to keep the Bandit stock and that is why I purchased the Artemis.

ThomasT

Well now you got me started!!! I have 8 yards in my gun room / storage area and I shot tonight. Had a blast and will post some target pictures tomorrow. I shot my Crossman 760, FWB 124, Marauder and my Impact. I need a bench in there but I need to make it moveable. It will be right in front of my gun safe door. And I can shoot 20 yards in a different section of the basement so I’ll have to move the bench for that too.

BBF05175-DBD5-4E89-BA80-10536D226102.jpeg

Well now you got me started!!! I have 8 yards in my gun room / storage area and I shot tonight. Had a blast and will post some target pictures tomorrow. I shot my Crossman 760, FWB 124, Marauder and my Impact. I need a bench in there but I need to make it moveable. It will be right in front of my gun safe door. And I can shoot 20 yards in a different section of the basement so I’ll have to move the bench for that too.

View attachment 310410
I'm using NRA 15 foot air rifle targets meant for springers. So no need to go to 8 yards. Anything from 15 feet to 20 feet should be fine. In fact I may move closer myself as I haven't been able to best 5.7mm overall group so far.

I'm using NRA 15 foot air rifle targets meant for springers. So no need to go to 8 yards. Anything from 15 feet to 20 feet should be fine. In fact I may move closer myself as I haven't been able to best 5.7mm overall group so far.
Don’t give up on the 8 yards yet, you just got started! :) My 20 yard range will be in the finished section of the basement. I’ll have to pick my times when I shoot there. The 8 yard range is separate and no through traffic and I’ll be able to use it anytime I want. My “pellet trap” I’ll be able to set at any range and will end up using it outside on my 80 yard range too.

I don’t have a pellet trap so I had to make one. I had a piece of 2x12 in the shop that was the perfect length for the only box I had in the garage (re-cycling day today and this one got missed). I’d kept an old poly fill pillow for re-loading powder burners and I stuffed that in the box. It’s quiet, stops everything I shot at it and I’ll be able to re-cycle the pellets into cast bullets.

Don’t give up on the 8 yards yet, you just got started! :) My 20 yard range will be in the finished section of the basement. I’ll have to pick my times when I shoot there. The 8 yard range is separate and no through traffic and I’ll be able to use it anytime I want. My “pellet trap” I’ll be able to set at any range and will end up using it outside on my 80 yard range too.

I don’t have a pellet trap so I had to make one. I had a piece of 2x12 in the shop that was the perfect length for the only box I had in the garage (re-cycling day today and this one got missed). I’d kept an old poly fill pillow for re-loading powder burners and I stuffed that in the box. It’s quiet, stops everything I shot at it and I’ll be able to re-cycle the pellets into cast bullets.

I use commercial traps with rubber mulch and ballistic rubber face.

E3409309-1ABF-43E1-A608-42E31EAC4E3F.jpeg

My bench is across room maybe 8 yds, but I think closer to 22feet. I'm dying to try my 22cal bullseye gun at the big trap on left but I hate picking up all the brass. Think the smell might get too much as well.

Shooting a powder burner, even with just a primer would be a no-no in my house. Wife would shoot me! I was going to machine some 38 special cases to accept a shotgun primer and shoot wax bullets out of them but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Probably a good thing, shotgun primers make a pretty big bang and create a fair amount smoke. I’d be in trouble before the first cylinder was empty. I could shoot them in my shop though…

I like those pellet traps but I’m too frugal (or cheap) to get one. I have more lead than I can shoot in my lifetime but I’m still concerned with re-using as much as I can. So yeah, a pellet trap would be nice but I won’t buy one. I’ll get some enjoyment knowing I didn’t spend a nickel on my homemade one. :) My parents grew up in the depression, I didn’t of course, they were ULTRA frugal and passed it on to me.

Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Hello @rsfrid

OK Ross, as soon as my new pistol arrives I am going to try your challenge. Boy I see a lot of paper targets shot to pieces.... :confused:

ThomasT
Just make your own mini targets ThomasT 😂
I’m totally hooked on Ross’s one true hole quest. I just measured my recliner range and it’s not 7 yards, it’s just over 5 yards.
But it’s so much fun to do, you can see how much I shoot indoors.
The pellet trap had about three years of shooting in it.
I think this needs to be a challenge like the other ones!
I’m using my Crosman Silhouette pistol and wad cutters.
This is my best and only one hole 5 shot group, and look what happened when I tried 5 more in the same hole lol.
When you zoom in you can see it’s actually not the perfect hole Ross is talking about.

CF4ADF77-599F-4A50-9F5D-573DDABB71A0.jpeg

63637FD8-3620-4CF5-A60D-B9D7898EBA1E.jpeg

B9073964-A62C-4C96-8107-4DD682ADCD16.jpeg

Just make your own mini targets ThomasT 😂
I’m totally hooked on Ross’s one true hole quest. I just measured my recliner range and it’s not 7 yards, it’s just over 5 yards.
But it’s so much fun to do, you can see how much I shoot indoors.
The pellet trap had about three years of shooting in it.
I think this needs to be a challenge like the other ones!
I’m using my Crosman Silhouette pistol and wad cutters.
This is my best and only one hole 5 shot group, and look what happened when I tried 5 more in the same hole lol.
When you zoom in you can see it’s actually not the perfect hole Ross is talking about.

View attachment 310456

View attachment 310457

View attachment 310458
Dave, just measure the outside of the group at widest part with caliper set to mm. I am after measurement closest to pellet diameter. In my case the magic number is 4.52mm. So far my smallest group is 5.7. If shooting 22 your smallest diameter would be something like 5.5 or so mm. Also, 5 yards is golden. I really think this quest is nearly impossible and smallest/closest size might be the goal. But I still seek that one hole group.