indiana opening day Crown Continuumm

Today was Indiana opening day for squirrel season, got in woods at 7:15 and was done at 9:30..all were shot off hand closet 20 yds farthest about 40 yds, all head shots.. I love this gun so very easy to shoot offhand with the 380mm barrel.
Last 2 I killed were in a huge shag bark hickory and there was so many squirrels in the trees that it sounded like it was raining, you could actually smell squirrels..wont make sense unless youve ever been under a tree alive with squirrels.
Sorry for the bad pic but it was starting to rain when I got home so was in a hurry..

Ammo was 18 gr JSB at 826 fps. Cat was trying to steal the scene and squirrels
20240815_095215.jpg

Last edited:
@DeanB Oh boy, a squirrel season opener! You were busy out there!! And yes, if they've smelled a squirrel before then a person reading will know exactly what you're referring to. You'd likely have to bag one and carry it to know that smell, but it is unforgettable. Definitely been in the woods and could smell them. Looks like a good day for you and the Crown and what appears to be a Donny FL Tanto. Not a bad haul for about 2.25 hours. Good show. Do they hear enough of a report to react to the shot or do you mainly hear the sound of the action?Do you eat squirrel?

Great job! I waiting for it to cool off a lot, basically winter. lol. Here in OK we are allowed 25 a day.
Wow thats a lot, ou must have a ton of squirrels. They need to raise ours been the same since I was a kid 55 yrs ago, no one hardly hunts them anymore so they die of old age or predation by owls/hawks etc. and the dreaded tire track.

@DeanB Oh boy, a squirrel season opener! You were busy out there!! And yes, if they've smelled a squirrel before then a person reading will know exactly what you're referring to. You'd likely have to bag one and carry it to know that smell, but it is unforgettable. Definitely been in the woods and could smell them. Looks like a good day for you and the Crown and what appears to be a Donny FL Tanto. Not a bad haul for about 2.25 hours. Good show. Do they hear enough of a report to react to the shot or do you mainly hear the sound of the action?Do you eat squirrel?
Yes I eat squirrel, have eaten them since I was 5 yrs old.. there is no noise hardly at all, when I killed those 2 out of the hickory full of them they just kept cutting never even slowed down.
Ive killed my limit out of the same tree with a RWS 48 .22 a bunch of times and the other squirrels would move a few limbs over and go right back to cutting, when they are cutting a tree hard it takes a lot to make them leave or quit.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Wow thats a lot, ou must have a ton of squirrels. They need to raise ours been the same since I was a kid 55 yrs ago, no one hardly hunts them anymore so they die of old age or predation by owls/hawks etc. and the dreaded tire track.
Yeah they just recently upped the bag limit. It used to be 10 day with 20 in possession after that. That includes grays and Fox squirrels.

@DeanB Which recipes or manner of preparation do you prefer for gray squirrel?
Season flour, roll squirrel in it brown quickly both sides, pour about 1/2 to 3/4 cup warm water in skillet and immediately put tight fitting lid on. Turn heat down to low and let simmer until tender usually 2-3 hrs.. For old tough grey or fox squirrels may take a bit longer.. Just dont let skillet run out of moisture. Then remove squirrel and make squirrel gravy from the crumbs ets.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Season flour, roll squirrel in it brown quickly both sides, pour about 1/2 to 3/4 cup warm water in skillet and immediately put tight fitting lid on. Turn heat down to low and let simmer until tender usually 2-3 hrs.. For old tough grey or fox squirrels may take a bit longer.. Just dont let skillet run out of moisture. Then remove squirrel and make squirrel gravy from the crumbs ets.
@DeanB No onions? Sounds similar to one of the ways that I like them. Thanks for sharing. Yea, I'm not a fan of fox squirrel meat.