• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

industry should move away from

Peashooter

Apr 9, 2021
Denmark
I would like to never see the following things on a PCP rifle again.

1: Internal regulators you have to bleed air to get to.
2: tank / tube gauges in the front of the tank not angled so you have to put face in front of barrel to read pressure.
3: front fill port. This is at least old fashioned and if you shoot tethered it also look stupid.
4: ultra short rails under the barrel, usually in the form of 1-2 "of rail right in front of the trigger guard.
5: use of too many O-rings / complicated design and so not easy to service / maintain your rifle, this could potentially be a safety issue for that reason.

Feel free to add things i might have forgotten.

As one in favor of fewer regulations (and regulators) I can't agree with any of that.

Considering that the airgun makers now have better access than ever to the wants and needs of their customers, (the reason this forum exists) they will probably see that and take it all into consideration.

I prefer co2 because it's just so much less complicated than PCP. Ned Ludd had it right.

Cheers,

J~

strange, thoughts,,, as what you complain about is no problem for me except the too many o-ring thing, I don't own one of those
1: I set my regs and then forget them till they leak or fail,, I get my tune and leave it, and don't mess with it, just to messing around,,, if it ain't broke, don't fix it
2: the end tube air gauge is out of the way and I do NOT have to stick my face in front of the barrel to see them , I don't like a side gauge that sticks out of the gun, more stuff to snag, all I need is to know when I get to my refill pressure.
3: I like probes, not fosters and I do not shoot tethered, only my sapsanS has a fill port under the trigger guard, you have to open the guard to expose the port,,, shooting tethered looks stupid by it's self, why worry where the port is?,,, like a race car pulling a fuel trailer,, maybe someone should haul an industrial size bottle to the range,,, oh ya I have no club ranges near me,,, or much population
4: again no need as I am not a benchie that lives on a bench, I dont have a bipod that needs to be futher out,,, on the occasion I do, a bag is my preferred rest
5: yes I agree and avoid those

the difference between you and I is I don't bench shoot, except just a little for setting and testing and occasional shoot just to shoot and verify that the gun is still zeroed and up to speed, I am more of a pester.
the air gun sport has different lanes, 10 meter,, extreme bench,,, field target,, home bench shooters ,,, hunters for game,,, and pesters
each has different aspects/needs for equipment to match their shooting use

I also avoid the digital gauges that would ignite my OCD to get the number on the button,,, when within a couple bar is no deal breaker
also I own no bottle guns, tubes only,, 7 guns
THE GOOD NEWS is there are all kinds of guns being made for us to pick from to suit our wants,,,

thought I was the luddite,,, but here I am sitting next to my Coltri

BUT ,,, cheers to the bench rest boys, I enjoy reading their pursuits

As one in favor of fewer regulations (and regulators) I can't agree with any of that.

Considering that the airgun makers now have better access than ever to the wants and needs of their customers, (the reason this forum exists) they will probably see that and take it all into consideration.

I prefer co2 because it's just so much less complicated than PCP. Ned Ludd had it right.

Cheers,

J~
The issue with CO2 is that it lacks sufficient power for hunting medium-sized game beyond 100 yards.:ROFLMAO:

2: tank / tube gauges in the front of the tank not angled so you have to put face in front of barrel to read pressure.
3: front fill port. This is at least old fashioned and if you shoot tethered it also look stupid.
4: ultra short rails under the barrel, usually in the form of 1-2 "of rail right in front of the trigger guard.
5: use of too many O-rings / complicated design and so not easy to service / maintain your rifle, this could potentially be a safety issue for that reason.

Foster or other but just1

Reactions: Bandito

1) Set it and forget it
* One gun do all / multi tune is way over rated and honestly a PITA !!
2) Not so much as issue ( Gauge location )
* As those designs generally use FILL PROBES. :mad:
3) See #2
* Filling up front in general no big deal, tethered which few do and an inconvenience at best.
4) Use specific on that one .. but do agree ;)
5) Yes indeed and a major PITA when there small cross section ones !!!
* With complex designs comes more layers of components and areas of potential leakage/failure.

I do not think of outside intervention, i think these are things the industry itself should ditch.
As a Danes living under a HUGE nanny state i am 100 % against increase in government intervention in any form.

I agree some rifles you could probably set and forget, but i would still argue that you should be able to do so on a external regulator, CUZ that at least enable the PPL that do like to play around with knobs.
Sadly i myself have problems laying off my knobs, or that is, it is getting better but i am not more knob addict that i must admit it is only slow progress.
Having owned a rifle with a internal REG it was no aid to my addiction, only a source of immense frustration.

I am personally OK with fill probes, but my hose on the fill kit do terminate in a forster fitting, so a counter part must be on the probe.
It do work tethered and plugged in the front, but it look stupid.
I do feel that if you did not have fill port ( for probe ) out front, you could probably cater to both further back with a threaded hole, which you could screw a foster fitting into, or put a probe deeper into that it would still have a sealing surface for the O-rings either side of the hole for the air.

I only partly relate to the fill probe haters.

Last edited:
Reactions: balver and Bandito

Cheers,

J~
Co2 is the closest I'll ever come to pcp. Springers, pumpers and co2 is for me. No hassle just pellets, maybe a co2 cart and shoot

Last edited: