Inexpensive outdoor tin can target rack

I wanted to hang some empty soda/beer cans as moving backyard targets for general plinking. Feeling lazy I went on Amazon and picked up $16 garment rack and some small 'S' hooks. Simple enough to tie some varied length cords from the top crossmember of the rack to the hooks to then hang the cans from the hole in the pop-top. Works well, costs little, EZ and light to transport. Just though I'd share the idea.

Garment Rack

S Hooks

Forgot to add a pic - The track is also height adjustable, this is at the lowest setting -

can target rack.jpg

Last edited:
A pictures worth a thousand words 😉

I like to hang a can long ways then shoot through the open top to hit the can bottom also i leave the lid on by a little , hinge it out hang longeaus and shoot the hinged lid like making tin can head shots.View attachment 351192

Hung like that..
I shoot the sides. Once full of holes I shoot the ends. Tin cans are one of the best targets there is. Recycle them with a gun. Then Recycle them in the bin.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Poke a hole in the bottom or the side of the can. Having vertical and horizontal can targets are a bonus, especially on windy days. The vertical cans are good for figuring out the wind hold over and really spin when struck, very reactive!

Use paracord with a simple surgeons knot to make a knot bigger than the hole for a simple anchor for more reactivity from the can on impact. Bonus points hitting the can in motion, that is tricky!

A cambell's condensed soup can fits inside of a Hungry Man's soup can. Poke a hole through both cans on the side (I stuff a rag inside the cans and use a simple awl to make the holes and then make them a bit larger with pliers) and then hang them on paracord. They hang vertically and make an interesting target, especially in the wind or in motion!

Use the pliers or a set of fishing hemostats to retrieve the cord when the cans are fully recycled. The doubled or "mutant" cans last three or four shooting sessions and are much tougher than a single can to shoot in half. I usually hang one single can to shoot in half. That is always challenging, especially the last couple of shots like crowski said.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I would get lazy and take old paper/ cardboard off the racks and stuff them in the cans hanging around rather then take them to the bench trash can..

Another thing i did was plastic 8/12oz(??) Coke bottles hang them horizontal with the red caps on. Then try to shoot the caps only. A little sand in them helps there swinging wildly.

Ya, a guy who's a trash can shooter can come up with some good target ideas.

Kinda glad this tin can thread popped up.

I was swapping from north range to south range and yesterday sitting at the bench thinking what and where to hang some target trinkets.

So i just now went and hung some in various locations.

oldtonew.jpg

oldcans.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new

bottle_lidonrack.jpg

Coke bottle and swinging can lid.

+ 1 more can and woke cola bottle in other limbs 👍

I'm happy to report that the hanging soda/beer can rack worked great. We set it up in front a wood pile at my son's lake house property. Light and simple to set up, and even from a distance the thin-walled cans shredded impressively. Found we were able to get three mags on the semi-auto setting with my Legends M712, two mags at full auto.