AEA Insane pump-action PCP

Damn. yeah I checked the whole website nothing in .50 cal
I have the 15inch 50 cal Meg.
I use hornady.495 round balls to plink around since they are the cheapest and easy to find ammo option. They cycle and shoot good through my Megalodon. I get over 300FPE on first shot. (184gn .495 round ball 875 FPS) My favorite ammo is the Texoma 235gr hollow point sized .495. Usually always has these in stock and fast shipping. I would never use the Air Venturi Round balls they are not very round or uniform

Reactions: uladz and BABz58
This is for the 235 GN hollow points. With my Megalodon 15inch I get 821 FPS and 352 FPE on first shot with a 4200psi fill:
This is for the .495 184 gn round balls:

Reactions: BABz58
Anything above .25 is too much, and even .25 is borderline. Higher calibers are too unsilenceable and too expensive (per shot) to shoot for fun.
Foot pounds is also a bit meh as a metric; 1x .50 slug at 400 fpe is the same thing as 4x .25 slugs at 100 fpe (because this is the exact same cross-sectional area and energy).
If you don't have at least 1000 shots with something, you don't really own it. And with some things you very are unlikely to get there.
I don’t see why anyone would not want a more powerful rifle. The purpose for the meglodon is to be competitive with a firearm. I love these rifles!

Regulating air rifles to .25 caliber or less to prevent regulation on air rifles sounds like an oxymoron to me. Not all backyards are the same, not everyone has access to .22 rimfire ammo including us Americans as there were a number of years if some might recall that there was none available and even recently there has been issues with ammunition availability.

I think the OP is interesting, more power to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estesj76
Anything above .25 is too much, and even .25 is borderline. Higher calibers are too unsilenceable and too expensive (per shot) to shoot for fun.
Foot pounds is also a bit meh as a metric; 1x .50 slug at 400 fpe is the same thing as 4x .25 slugs at 100 fpe (because this is the exact same cross-sectional area and energy).
If you don't have at least 1000 shots with something, you don't really own it. And with some things you very are unlikely to get there.
It depends what you are doing with it, i Shoot my 50 cal Meg for fun. foot pounds =penetration and expansion. It only takes one shot.

Reactions: BABz58
@Momar2 It is impractical regardless regulation; 1000x .50 cal shots would cost 1000 Eur. And airguns can't just sit in a cupboard or safe (because leaks etc.)
Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone has the same goal or use for airguns. These certainly have their place and are still way cheaper to shoot than many large caliber centerfire weapons with ammo that costs dollars per shot.

Reactions: uladz
I don’t see why anyone would not want a more powerful rifle. The purpose for the meglodon is to be competitive with a firearm. I love these rifles!
While I do enjoy seeing companies push the envelope of what can be done with air, at the same time I'm thinking that for a few hundred bucks I could buy a 12 gauge shotgun or a bolt action Savage that will outperform its air powered competition in nearly every way.

While I do enjoy seeing companies push the envelope of what can be done with air, at the same time I'm thinking that for a few hundred bucks I could buy a 12 gauge shotgun or a bolt action Savage that will outperform its air powered competition in nearly every way.
Not everyone has the option to go out and buy whatever they want where it comes to firearms. It’s seems like no one considers those that are prohibited from owning firearms. There are more people than you might imagine that have that issue. Then there are those that intend to hunt with air powered weapons for the same reason some people use a bow. If I were to purchase a regulated small caliber air rifle, a pcp, I would be bored to tears with it in 2 weeks. It would hang on the wall or in my safe after that and probably be given away to one of the kids or just set there. It very much depends on the individual as to what their reasons are for wanting air powered weapons.

Reactions: DonEnzone
This is probably a controversial opinion but I actually agree with this. I long considered stepping up to a .30 cal but considering a .22lr easily outperforms almost every .30 in every category it just isn't making any sense to me anymore. All these big bore air rifles are going to lead to regulations and background checks for air rifles. I'm in favor of making .25 the largest bore for air rifles to avoid regulation. That's not "being paranoid" as many like to say it's just the logical reality of the direction of this market if all this nonsense continues.
this is truth .

I have the 15inch 50 cal Meg.
I use hornady.495 round balls to plink around since they are the cheapest and easy to find ammo option. They cycle and shoot good through my Megalodon. I get over 300FPE on first shot. (184gn .495 round ball 875 FPS) My favorite ammo is the Texoma 235gr hollow point sized .495. Usually always has these in stock and fast shipping. I would never use the Air Venturi Round balls they are not very round or uniform
Giant lead BB’s, I just received 3 boxes of the hornady .495 round balls. I got the 22 inch version. Those round balls preform better than I expected. I shot a 5 gallon bucket of water and it went through it from 25 yards. im going to try those slugs you mentioned.

That thing is awesome. I imagine the slugs cost less than 12ga shells.
Hornady round lead ball ammo .495 for 50 cal Megalodon, shoots great and it’s less than 12 dollars per 100 balls. You can make a trap and melt the balls to cast slugs as well. That’s cheap enough. You can get set up to cast your own fairly low cost also. The lead balls will bust cinder blocks and make a 5 gallon bucket of water explode. More than enough power for sure. They go all the way through the buckets of water. They could easily be the exclusive ammo for the rifle if you didn’t want to use slugs.

Reactions: MichaelHunt
Not a big fan of AEAs semi-auto lineup and I have no experience with their bolt-actions, but this pump-action Megalodon looks like a beast. 400ft-lb. .50 cal. 8 round mags. It's a proper shotgun, I mean.. damn. No price or release date yet as far as I'm aware. In fact, this seems to be the only video that exists of it so far.

The english presentation starts at 15:30:
Anyone know where to get replacement mags? or the recommended AEA .50 cal slugs? everywhere says they are out of stock.
I order my stuff from Mr. Hollow point and AEA recommends texoma I think is the name of the place. I ordered a 457 and was shipped a 50 cal by mistake. The place that screwed up sent me 100 -235 grain hollow points from the Tacoma place and I got them in my mail box 3 days later. Aside from that you can get .495 round lead balls made for muzzle loaders from Hornady. Those are 12 dollars per 100 shots , that’s like 12 cents a piece and they preform great in the rifle. They can’t shoot their 22’s and 25’s that cheap. Catch those in something and they could be melted down and recast into slugs. Air Venturi also makes a .495 185 grain hollow point that does good for 26 dollars for 50 of the pellets, those are more like a wierd pellet rather than a slug. But they shoot pretty good. I like plinking with the Hornady round balls , they cycle through the mag perfectly. Bluegrass bigbore might have spare mags.