Is $1500'ish budget enough for a good compressor?

I lost count how many hours I've pumped on my 220$ yong heng. 

At 2k$ you can buy 9 units. 

Give me 9 yong hangs and I will pump air for 20 air gunners for 15 years. 

1 guy? With a couple small calibre guns? Like .22 and .25 or even .30?

Someday you guys will have to sit me down and explain the logic in spending 2k on a compressor when 200 bucks does the trick just fine. I'm honestly completely baffled...

I think the Yong Heng is fine for filling guns directly and even small bottles (90 cu-in). I used a Vevor for a couple of years to do that. I even filled my SCBA tank once in a great while. But when I started shooting my 60+ FPE bottle gun, and filling my 45 min SCBA tank on a regular basis, the Vevor was definitely getting over-stressed. I had to baby it every SCBA fill with multiple cool down periods. It also required frequent maintenance (oil changes, piston rings, valve springs, etc.) It was time consuming. And the air supply was not all that dry, even with frequent condensate bleeding and changing of the small included filters. The MCH6 tops off my SCBA in a few minutes, no sweat. It will outlast 9 Yong Hengs, and do the job a lot faster.

I'm starting to believe O'Doyle works for the Walmart insurance department! This "what's the best compressor" subject has been discussed ad nauseum.

The fact is that owners more frequently post about failures than about good performance. A disgruntled owner posting multiple times or on several forums sometimes gives a good product an unreliability rep especially if it is new on the market. There is a correlation between price level and durability. I'm not Xenophobic (look it up) but there is also a correlation between failure rates and country of origin. The only made in China compressor that is well designed and reliable is the Alpha Carette. It was thoroughly vetted by an unbiased Bauer owner before it came to market.. It's an excellent compressor but the way it is marketed by the importer has not gotten it the exposure it deserves. 

IMO, the best $1,000 compressor buy is the Hill EC-3000. It had a minor introductory hiccup but Hill has supported it and a couple of loudly complaining buyers doesn't mean it's a bad choice. I would buy one over a Benjamin Recharge, any Omega, or any 12 volt plug and pray portable compressor.

As far as the "I'd rather buy several Yong Hengs" the fallacy there is that anything that costs $350 or more BETTER be reliable and the owner shouldn't need to buy several replacements. What other shop machinery would you buy where you spend $350 and expect to buy a replacement every couple of years due to breakdowns?

If you have a $2,000 limit get a Daystate LC-110. If you can spend $2,500 the Coltri MCH-6 is an even better value.

Is the Alkin W31 no longer retailing for $3,100? I expect to have zero problems with mine for the next ten years and it should still be worth $2,300 or more. The guy who spends $2,000 for multiple replacement Yong Heng class compressors can expect a residual value of zero.

Another less discussed option is for buyers who want quality at a discounted price is to keep an eye out for used brand name dive compressors on EBay or Craiglist Miami. If you are buying one from EBay, only consider one from a U.S.based seller. Don't buy a used one you have to ship back to an overseas seller if it arrives DOA. The only name brand compressors I'd recommend used are Alkin, Airetex (U.S. import customized Alkins), Coltri, and Bauer. Sometimes you can find Bauer Junior II's, Utilius', Posiedon's, and Coltri MCH-6's used at decent prices. Just consider ones in lightly used and good cosmetic condition and know the date of manufacture which is on the serial number plate. 

Just remember. Everyone who buys a new compressor loves it so take ecstatic reviews with a grain of salt on a brand new model. Don't eliminate a compressor from consideration because an owner or two has had a failure. Rolls Royce's and Bentley's break sometimes. So do a number of compressors. Who is servicing the compressor and what is parts availability? How much does it cost to ship the compressor after the warranty has expired? Is it a compressor you can repair yourself without an engineering degree? What is the resale value of the compressor you buy 5 years from now? These are the questions you should be answering before spending money on a compressor.

The bottom line for newbies is to buy a new carbon fiber tank set first if you have a paintball shop or dive shop that fills to 4500 psi and is within a reasonable distance from you. If they charge more than $10 a fill and have a lot of extra fees then look elsewhere.

There is no one "best" compressor or answer or everyone would buy it. There are nearly as many compressor breakdowns caused by owner error as by poorly designed units. The most common mistake is owners who use the wrong type of oil trying to save money and overfilling their compressor oil level. Too much oil is worse than a low oil level. Motor oil and #46 hydraulic fluid as compressor lubricants is a big mistake, in spite of what your Chinglish owner's manual says is OK. The other mistake is owners buying small compressors built to fill airguns only and using them on long runs to fill supply tanks they aren't designed for.

It really all depends on what your personal needs are and what you feel is important. I personally have no need for anything better than a YH. The ranges I go to just happen to have electricity right there by the firing lines and my YH is potable enough so that it isn't that big a deal for me to bring it with me. If I don't want to lug it there then I just take my Gaunlet. I have two extra 0.38L tanks that allows me to go through a tin of 500 pellets without issue. Those two tanks cost me $30 each, shipped with regulator, so that wasn't a big investment either.

As such I don't even need a large CF tank. For me that is an unnecessary expense. Some folks run the larger calibers and go through a whole bunch of air. If I wanted something more powerful, I would simply shoot 22LR. That's just me though, I can see why someone might want a large caliber gun and want a large CF tank to feed it and an expensive compressor to fill the tank. If someone is lucky enough to be able to afford all that, and that is what they want, then more power to them.

To address the OPs question more directly, there appears to be a significant doughnut hole when looking at the prices of a compressor. The YH compressors seem to fill the low end quite well and then there appears to be a very substantial jump in price to get to the next level. Other posts have provided some good suggestions regarding the OP's desired price range. Personally, I think the YHs provide a compelling alternative for someone just getting into the sport.

Lastly, I like to fix things and the YH is pretty easy to work on. Parts are cheap and easily obtained. That means I should be able to keep my YH going for a long time to come. That said I can certainly appreciate that some folks simply want a compressor that can be worked hard, provide dry air fast, and last a long time without it having to be pampered.

Reactions: Humdinger
Hey guys/gals - thanks for all the input and apologies if this topic was repetitious (I did scroll through the first couple of pages in this subforum and didn't see a comparable topic that's why I started my own).

Quite frankly, I've been afraid to check back in on this topic because I kind of feared what the likely outcome would be. I know myself and my propensity to never really buy middle of the road stuff. I think I pretty much knew that $1500-$2000 would put me squarely in the middle of the road range for compressors and that seems to be the prevailing thought here. I'm definitely not one to spend $250-$350 on a Chinese made whatever with the intention of it being a disposable unit that will need to be replace every few months.

So realistically I'll be searching for a decent deal on a $3k'ish compressor.

I never should've started this thread!!!