Benjamin Is a .25 PCP rifle/pellet much louder than .22?

Just curious. If it matters, I really am referring to the factory regulated Marauder.

Thanks!

EDIT:
The best reply was from another thread from another OP, and it said something along the lines of "don't worry about it so much, you're gonna end up with both either way." :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have four .25 caliber Marauders ranging from 44 to 60+ fpe. I even have a short shroud on two of them. But I use a DFL suppressor sometimes on those two if noise is a concern (which it rarely is for me). Regardless, the loudest noise coming from them is the hammer striking the knock off valve. The muzzle report is very subdued. The .25 rifle with the short shroud at 60 fpe does have a bark which is muted by the DFL. Of course, especially on cool days, if I run the 16 grain alloy pellets there is a supersonic crack ;).

The .25 Marauder is not available regulated from the factory, the .22 is. Two of my M-Rods run a Huma regulator. I still kind of teeter back and forth regarding the M-Rod and a regulator. I can get a really flat string at good power without the extra complication and loss of HP air space. It seems many M-Rods from the factory suffer hammer bounce to some degree or other. That is wasted air and more noise. Eliminating the hammer bounce goes a long ways toward efficiency and a quieter report.

I have four .25 caliber Marauders ranging from 44 to 60+ fpe. I even have a short shroud on two of them. But I use a DFL suppressor sometimes on those two if noise is a concern (which it rarely is for me). Regardless, the loudest noise coming from them is the hammer striking the knock off valve. The muzzle report is very subdued. The .25 rifle with the short shroud at 60 fpe does have a bark which is muted by the DFL. Of course, especially on cool days, if I run the 16 grain alloy pellets there is a supersonic crack ;).

The .25 Marauder is not available regulated from the factory, the .22 is. Two of my M-Rods run a Huma regulator. I still kind of teeter back and forth regarding the M-Rod and a regulator. I can get a really flat string at good power without the extra complication and loss of HP air space. It seems many M-Rods from the factory suffer hammer bounce to some degree or other. That is wasted air and more noise. Eliminating the hammer bounce goes a long ways toward efficiency and a quieter report.
The standard marauders are not regulated, but the field and target and semi auto marauders (SAM) are. The standard marauders now come with a factory depinger (which works really good I have to say) and a improved valve. I've had both in 22 and 25 cal. gen 2, the 25 was louder but it depends on the tune. Now the new standard 22 cal. is quieter without a moderator than a gen 2 with one from my ears. But I have never tried the 25 cal.

Last edited:
Quietest gun I own currently is my own customized Kral Jumbo 22.

View attachment 484211

34" long, huma shrouded and doing 850 fps with Hades 15.89 pellets. It has just a little bottle ping noise, but you can't really hear the muzzle report.

Next favorite would be my Prod, which is probably just as quiet but no ping sound.
View attachment 484212
P Rod's looking good Doc!

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
My .25 cal M3 is backyard friendly getting 62 fpe
But..................
I can barely hear my Krait 22 shooting at 31 fpe. If it weren't for the hammer strike I doubt anyone would hear it at all.

No 25 cal is backyard friendly at 62 FPE lol, come to my backyard and see how friendly it is :ROFLMAO:

It may be friendly for people with sizeable lots but that isn't typical for american backyards that are .1-.2acre lol.

-Matt

The standard marauders are not regulated, but the field and target and semi auto marauders (SAM) are. The standard marauders now come with a factory depinger (which works really good I have to say) and a improved valve. I've had both in 22 and 25 cal. gen 2, the 25 was louder but it depends on the tune. Now the new standard 22 cal. is quieter without a moderator than a gen 2 with one from my ears. But I have never tried the 25 cal.

Three of my M-Rods are Gen 2 based and one is Gen 1 based. The factory rubber depinger does help but I have found that an aluminum air tube and a 1.25 inches bottle brush works better in the two unregulated rifles, the regulated rifles have no need of a depinger. The aluminum just does not ring like a bell. I have one with a Tim Hill valve, one with a JSAR valve, one with a gifted "Cobra" tech modded valve and one with my home modded Gen 2 valve, all have free flight hammers or SSGs of some sort. Two are Huma regulated.

To my knowledge, the Gen 2 factory regulated M-Rod is not available in .25 caliber. Maybe this has changed? I would not want the factory regulated rifle anyways and I am not convinced the benefits gained by regulating the M-Rod offset the loss of HP air capacity. It is kind of like being darned if you do and darned if you do not ;).

My rifles are quiet, even the short shroud rifles with a DFL installed. To get a muzzle report that is a click-snap instead of a clang-brrrrrrrrrrrrrp-ping, I have had all sorts of ongoing fun and games and even pulled out my hair and fell upon the experts to help me out. It is a steep and somewhat deep learning curve I am still progressing (?) upon :). Love the M-Rod!

Last edited:
Reactions: kayaker