Is a Shoebox Freedom 8 still worth purchasing

Agreed.
Also, if your NOT filling large tanks and simply topping off what you have used for say 1 days worth of shooting, they work great. Parts are not quite available as they should be because the business folded about 4-5 years ago.
I have however found many parts that fit the Box from OCO Labs, Zack is the contact and a congenial representative. If you look at the CO2 extraction pump picture on that site, it looks exactly like a Box, only it's blue in color and has a different use. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom works there.
If the price is right, I would definitely nab one.
mike

Agreed.
Also, if your NOT filling large tanks and simply topping off what you have used for say 1 days worth of shooting, they work great. Parts are not quite available as they should be because the business folded about 4-5 years ago.
I have however found many parts that fit the Box from OCO Labs, Zack is the contact and a congenial representative. If you look at the CO2 extraction pump picture on that site, it looks exactly like a Box, only it's blue in color and has a different use. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom works there.
If the price is right, I would definitely nab one.
mike

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a good price?

Thank you all for your input. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Yong Heng "Hardcover" before coming across this Shoebox. I had read about them for years. There is something nostalgic as in my early days of airguns I couldn't imagine having one of due to the cost and where I was at in my life. Now that I am getting back into shooting it could be a good fit.

I have 4 working shoeboxes and a few parts ones. Not for sale. I use them all. I have been buying broken ones for $50 to $100 shipped. Throw up a want add for broken or unused ones. There are a lot of shooters who have one in a corner or closet that they have given up on. Maybe only need a rebuild or other easy fix. Quit often you will get spare o rings and other parts included. I fill a couple 60 min and 30 min tanks every week. With a little preventive maintenance, they are workhorses.

I have 4 working shoeboxes and a few parts ones. Not for sale. I use them all. I have been buying broken ones for $50 to $100 shipped. Throw up a want add for broken or unused ones. There are a lot of shooters who have one in a corner or closet that they have given up on. Maybe only need a rebuild or other easy fix. Quit often you will get spare o rings and other parts included. I fill a couple 60 min and 30 min tanks every week. With a little preventive maintenance, they are workhorses.
I've seen them pop up on classifieds used and broken but never for that low. And yes, I have a vested interest here because my currently non-functional one might be on the market soon. And the $275-300 shipped area (as commented above) is what I had in mind to ask for it. And that's based on what I've seen them come up for on the classifieds for the past few years and since shipping for it will likely be $50-75 bucks with today's crazy shipping prices. Heck, there was a functional F10 on AGN classifieds for $600 just in the last few days, and I considered buying it at that price!

Don't remember the exact amount right now, but just one of the cylinders alone from OCO labs was around $100 (maybe $90), and nobody knows for sure if that cylinder will even work with the Shoebox. Which goes back to the fact that nobody is making every part of the Shoebox anymore. Revoman and I just discussed this a few days ago in PM and I told him if I ever stumble upon a used one for $350 I'd jump on it, solely as a parts donor.

$50-100 shipped is simply giving it away, cuz that will be mostly shipping. Sounds like you've been extremely lucky to find more than one person willing to give you their Shoeboxes.

Last edited:
Quad82 ---=---
Sounds like you'd be a good resource to ask questions on Box issues, no? I too have never seen a Box selling, working or not, for that low price. Good on ya!
Parts are tough to find now a day, so having a backup or two is always a good idea.
If the motor isn't shipped, then the shipping cost wouldn't be too much. Consider that as an option as who ever is buyer, already has a motor and you could sell that motor locally to get away from the shipping cost.
mike

2 of the last ones were from here or AGN. Don’t remember with out going through my PMs. Another one was shipped to me without the motor to save on shipping. Haven’t seen a bad motor yet. Besides it’s a common one from McMasters. I drove 2 1/2 hours to pick one up from a priest that just bought a big compressor for his shooting club. The compressor was almost cheeper then the gas to get it! There are deals out there. Not every one lives on the net and wants more money than what it’s worth. eBay ruined a lot of deals. I have had a round aluminum style guide tower break at the brass rod guide. I think some one on here has the same issue. This is when I learned to reset the stroke distance. I happened to have a square C shaped one off a donner box that works fine. As for orings, I get them at McMaster Carr too. Only part that would be hard to produce is the piston spacers. Some one with a 3D could make them easy enough. Never had a bent or worn piston rod. I do buy the burst disk in quantities off eBay. as for rebuilding them. Can’t beat Tom’ videos. I have them saved on my phone for quick reference.

CC7B241F-B6BD-4201-94A6-C0DAEB1AAADB.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Revoman
I have had a round aluminum style guide tower break at the brass rod guide. I think some one on here has the same issue. This is when I learned to reset the stroke distance. I happened to have a square C shaped one off a donner box that works fine.

View attachment 289674

You're a successful bargain hunter when it comes to finding some sweet deals on the these compressors!

I quoted part of your post above.....where you mention that you reset the stroke distance. Are you willing to share any tips or tricks on that?

I watched this video of Tom's and around the 4:20 mark, he talks about setting the stroke distance. While not the same generation of Shoebox, I followed his explanation but still seem to be having troubles. Is there something different that needs done for an F10 versus whatever version he's working on in the link?

I appreciate any wisdom you're willing to share.