Is AEA any good ?

I am tempted to buy an AEA hp max 45 or challenger pro but I e heard some horror stories from my local air gun shop. Right now I have a talon p but I want something with more power.

HP Max is a nice truck / backpack gun, however some people have had issues with the magazines and valve pins breaking. I think if you're planning to use it for hunting and not daily target shooting, it will do the job.

I have a Challenger Pro 30 and it performs exceptionally well. I wish it were a couple pounds lighter, but it's mainly used off a bench.

I would also look at the regular Challenger SL with or without the addition of the optional regulator. People have very few problems with these guns, they're not too heavy. Better magazines than the HP series too.

I'm on my fourth AEA, and have had great support & service through BinTac all the way. Most likely I will buy another AEA when they come out with something new I can't resist.

Reactions: MongooseV8
I have a 22Cal Standard Challenger and only have a few rounds through it. I got mine from BinTacLLC and I think he test fires all his inventory to make sure there are no major issues. Mine came with no leaks, and I opted for the regulator. It is super quiet so far. Havent tested accuracy just some chrono shots. Havent touched the reg, but it will shoot 15.89 Hades ~850-1165fps and the 34 HN heavies at 865fps. Heads up though it cracks like a rimfire @1165fps lol. Trigger is actually pretty nice, especially for a hunter. I would stay away from the Bullpups and semis if you are thinking about trying one out.

Only issue so far is the mags. Mine are sticky and sometimes dont rotate/cycle. I know I can work them in and get them to be reliable.

Most of the minor issues youll find with the max are easily fixed. If mags keep popping out theres 2 easy fixes. 1 tighten the barrel a bit more. Like 1/8th turn or so. Or 2 you can make a magnetic catch for less than 10 bucks.

IMG_20221123_145430495.jpg

Im my case all leaking was caused by gen 1 parts. Pellet shop sent me all the new gen parts an its held solid for more than 700 shots so far. I love the trigger on the hp max .357. cleanest crisp pull of all my stuff- 5 airguns an 3 crossbows. Not very heavy pull either. Like maybe 3-4 lbs. Id say its a very similar pull to my centerpoint wrath trigger but alil more clean. An the best part is customization cost are like half of most other brands.

Reactions: Adolf
I have a 22Cal Standard Challenger and only have a few rounds through it. I got mine from BinTacLLC and I think he test fires all his inventory to make sure there are no major issues. Mine came with no leaks, and I opted for the regulator. It is super quiet so far. Havent tested accuracy just some chrono shots. Havent touched the reg, but it will shoot 15.89 Hades ~850-1165fps and the 34 HN heavies at 865fps. Heads up though it cracks like a rimfire @1165fps lol. Trigger is actually pretty nice, especially for a hunter. I would stay away from the Bullpups and semis if you are thinking about trying one out.

Only issue so far is the mags. Mine are sticky and sometimes dont rotate/cycle. I know I can work them in and get them to be reliable.

Did you try loosening the little allen bolt in the middle of the magazine? Give it a little slack.

Reactions: Sicumj and Adolf
AEA are poorly assembled and somewhat cheap on fit/finish.

But, they're also the best deal out there, especially if you want high power and are willing/able to do some work on it to make it objectively 'good'
I have to disagree with the assembly/fit at least on the Challenger. Mine has impressed me and I have taken it apart a little. Its not amazing but a lot better than I expected for under $1k. The finish was nice as well. Its several levels better than my Avenger. Other models might be different.

Thats a good suggestion and I had thought about it, but I havent touched them yet. I will certainly try it and might add some nail polish to the threads if that works.
Dont use nail polish. Dries harder than loctite. If you ever need to do work polish makes it real hard. Try something like tip jam. Comes in a wax like stick for archery points. Doesn't harden like loc or polish but still has a decent hold.

Reactions: MongooseV8
I have to disagree with the assembly/fit at least on the Challenger. Mine has impressed me and I have taken it apart a little. Its not amazing but a lot better than I expected for under $1k. The finish was nice as well. Its several levels better than my Avenger. Other models might be different.
We may also simply have different standards.

My max had the following issues:

Bolt flops around somewhat freely and will fire out of battery, blasting the bolt open and, if I was using a magazine, probably turning it into a grenade

Stock was super loose and had to be tightened.

Stock flopped around due to poor fit when closed (folding latch is loose on tolerances)

Stock sliding mechanism is loose, rattles.. had to use gaffer's tape to close up the gap.

Trigger was about 15 lbs...

None of that is very serious, and all can be adjusted/fixed/improved.

And for the money, as I noted, it's the best deal out there. My standards are just such that I couldn't live with it 'as is' and had to work on mine before I was anything like happy with it.

As my sig says, the Edguns rule, but my AEA slams. :)

I think it's pretty well known that the HP Max is AEAs shoddiest offering.

Surprisingly, the most impressive AEA I've owned, in terms of quality, was the Terminator 30. Seemed pretty high end to me. I can see why it costs a few hundred more than the Challenger Pro I have now.

I did have a Challenger SL 357 as well and I guess I'd give it a 6.5/10 in terms of build quality. I would rate it higher if I didn't get a crack in the stock and it made a very loud "PING". But then again they're going for $359 and most likely better quality than anything else at that price point. Oh yeah, that's a 200+ ft. lb. magazine fed 357 for $359.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miami Airgunner
My HP carbine semi-auto .25 has been a pretty good gun for me. I’ve never had issues with either of my mags. It’s always cycled correctly and no leaks. It has decent accuracy and good power. The only problem has been the valve pins breaking. But I bought some upgraded ones on eBay. There are many videos on youtube on how to improve any AEA model you might have.

I have two AEA's, a 25 cal Backpacker HP and a 30 cal Terminator. I purchased the BP a year ago and it has been my daily carry rifle ever since. You can consistently hit shotgun shells at 50 yards. Trigger came out of the box at 5.5 lb and is now at 2.75 lb with some spring and polishing work. It is a solid made gun IMO well made.

Terminator is a real cannon. I spaced the hammer spring the other day and my 47.2 gr slugs shot at 1040 fps. Accuracy was so so until I went to a .303 diameter slug. It too is a well made gun but heavy. I have removed the original stock and front bottle and replaced with a 700 ml bottle. Lightened up some but is still much heavier than my Backpacker. Overall build is very good, fit and finish is fine.

My experience with AEA is only on semiauto's. They are guns for experienced airgunners who like to tinker to get the most out of them. You can buy guns more accurate and guns with much better triggers, but better than twice the price that AEA's go for. Parts are hard to come by in my experience. I cannot find a replacement mag or parts for my Terminator anywhere. Standard answer is " Check back in 3 weeks". I have been looking for mags since last summer. Took me 3 months to get an adapter for the Terminator to install a bottle. I would hate to break a sear. Our relationship with China does make me feel any better about parts.

Overall I am happy with the purchase but I won.t buy anymore. My nest rifle will have a adjustable two stage trigger, be regulated with external adjustable hammer spring. Don't know about caliber yet but will be very accurate and light weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAMJET66
Never had a funner or cheaper gun to shoot! The Carbine on the left just loves CPHP's, 2 MOA at 50y with the short barrel, semi auto, 12 shots per magazine, the perfect critter-getter!

The Varmint on the right now wears a cheap-o chi-com plenum and regulator and eats JSB 33.9gr .25 pellets and easily does 1MOA at 50y and once I get a warm day with no wind (a man can dream, right?) Ill see if it holds 1MOA at 100y as well.

I also have a 9mm Challanger, its ugly, used and scarred but it delivers 300 fpe and will cloverleaf groups at 50y.

Bottom line: I had to work on all three of my AEA guns, if you dont tinker or get all indignant about having to tweak a gun out of the box, these are not the guns for you. If you are like me and the journey is the thrill, not the destination, these are a fantastic value for what you get.

AEA HP Guns.jpg

20221204_100513.jpg

Firewalker I'm beginning to think the Varmint is one of the best rifles in the AEA line. I would think the trigger can be down to 1.5 lb or so. The 24 inch barrel gives the gun plenty of power, not sure what they weigh. If they made a .30 Varmint I would have purchased that instead of the Terminator. I'm going to test some more today but the Terminator accuracy needs improvement. I don't know I'm a fan of their tapered muzzles on their barrels. I ended up recrowning the barrel on my carbine may have to do the same to the Terminator.