Is airgun interest going away?

Just speculating, but you asked so here's my opinion. I would think that most who are interested in PCP's are on the older side since they are the ones with the most discretionary spending money. Well with EVERYTHING going UP 🚀 certain "wants" would not be considered, and unfortunately for your business I would assume that some would not be looking at purchasing a PCP. :unsure:

This is probably just because they are cutting back in production so they aren't stuck with inventory that they would have to eventually discount. I would really love to believe that you are right, but taking it all in and looking at the state of everything, I doubt it.
Right got to keep the pcp racket going ..
Hard to inflate and markup a warehouse chocked full of guns pricing .. pcp.. please continue paying 😜

Right got to keep the pcp racket going ..
Hard to inflate and markup a warehouse chocked full of guns pricing .. pcp.. please continue paying 😜
Plus it keeps exclusivity, and doesn't cut the legs out from people who payed full price and might want to sell and trade up. That's just the way it is for everything. We buy into it, or do without. Complaining about a first world problem only ups the appeal.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Everytime i go to the range, i am generating interest in my airguns
A few have air rifles( Gamos, Marauders, break barrels), but most have never seen a high end rifle
when they see what air rifles are capable of shooting .. they seem more interested.
is it enough interest to generate sales...probably not ..but it gets there attention
Mike

Well I guess I'll stay the course and hope things get better. After owning PCPs I have no interest in ever touching a break barrel again and I shoot my powder guns so much less because I don't have to drive to a range an hour away to shoot. PCP just makes so much sense I guess I just don't understand why people aren't buying much.
I agree. I shoot my PBers maybe once or twice a year to make sure they function and I can still hit a man sized target at the distances I need too.

I shoot very often in the backyard. I just finished resighting my stormrider after the buckrail kit was installed. My neighbor was out smoking and had no issue with it. Now if I had a 22lr out there I'd be in handcuffs.

With the holidays around the corner and prices going up, I think a lot of folks are pulling back on personal purchases in order to make sure there are gifts under the tree for family and friends. Since airguns are sort of a niche industry, perhaps airgunners are thinking they'd better wait on the next airgun for themselves while thinking about what their loved ones and friends would like. A lot of people in my family would be like, "WTAF did you get me? This isn't what I was hoping for" if I were give them an airgun for Christmas. Of course there will be some exceptions, but we are getting to the season where putting others first is just what you do.
ETA: Wait till after new years when all us airgunners are looking to give ourselves what others didn't think of to get us!

Reactions: markhooper
The airgun craze
Went through a phase
Many come, few have stayed

Airguns are fun and all, but, if all I did was shoot, my interest would have faded. Luckily I enjoy the technical side of things, so learning them inside and out has been what continues to feed my interest. I spent the last week working on my ballistic solver, didn't even take a single shot....and don't really have interest to either. So while my interest overall hasn't faded much, shooting them to me is not as interesting as learning exactly what goes on while shooting them, from the moment your hammer leaves the sear, to pellet reaching the target. Far more challenging for my mind, resulting in far less boredom then sending lead to the same spot over and over.

-Matt

With the holidays around the corner and prices going up, I think a lot of folks are pulling back on personal purchases in order to make sure there are gifts under the tree for family and friends. Since airguns are sort of a niche industry, perhaps airgunners are thinking they'd better wait on the next airgun for themselves while thinking about what their loved ones and friends would like. A lot of people in my family would be like, "WTAF did you get me? This isn't what I was hoping for" if I were give them an airgun for Christmas. Of course there will be some exceptions, but we are getting to the season where putting others first is just what you do.
ETA: Wait till after new years when all us airgunners are looking to give ourselves what others didn't think of to get us!
My brother and his clan of 6 moved to Texas and won't be up this year for Xmas. Saved me a ton! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: kayaker
The airgun craze
Went through a phase
Many come, few have stayed

Airguns are fun and all, but, if all I did was shoot, my interest would have faded. Luckily I enjoy the technical side of things, so learning them inside and out has been what continues to feed my interest. I spent the last week working on my ballistic solver, didn't even take a single shot....and don't really have interest to either. So while my interest overall hasn't faded much, shooting them to me is not as interesting as learning exactly what goes on while shooting them, from the moment your hammer leaves the sear, to pellet reaching the target. Far more challenging for my mind, resulting in far less boredom then sending lead to the same spot over and over.

-Matt
I just change the "spots" and continue to put lead down range .

I got into airguns when the pandemic was raging. I think a lot of guys did. And I think our reasoning was similar. I think that created a boom.

I spent four or five years with different rifles on a learning curve and now the curve has flattened out so has the purchasing. I have what I want and I just don't need anymore. It's the natural arc of any boom.

I don't buy into the "it's the economy" talk. I live in the poorest place in the country and things have never been better. Plenty of work. Unemployment is the lowest in decades. Lots of oilfield and wind generation jobs. Road and bridge projects. Aerospace jobs. Solar manufacturing and installation is huge. Help wanted signs everywhere.

A CD at the bank is paying 5%. Everyone is driving big diesel pickups and towing expensive rv's. They are shooting new rifles and building new houses. They have spending money and that is what drives prices up.

So a fellow shooting a $2000 toy griping about the economy is not making much sense to me. Same with the guy driving a new $70k pickup telling me the economy is ruined. It just dosent fit.

The airgun industry boomed for a few years. After every boom there is a bust. It's just the natural cycle. Anyone that wants an air rifle can buy one. There are simply fewer and fewer guys that want one. A big part of that is the fact they already have 7 or 8 and simply don't need anymore.

I can only speak from my experience but I can assume many others share the same experience. And that is how I see things from my limited perspective as an airgunner.

Last edited:
Look at the number of shipping containers coming to major distributors and retailers. Here are two very well known retailers in the US. While not a complete story, it shows a glimpse into things. Take into account the covid loans and tariffs too.

IMG_0643.jpeg

IMG_0644.jpeg

Absolutely! It's the economy. The price of simple produce lately at the supermarket makes my airgun hobby look like a bargain ... produce has doubled in price. With the election coming up, the gas prices are coming down though.

Fact check: Thanks to a massive outbreak of avian flu, eggs have nearly doubled in price. But eggs aren't produce. On average, produce (vegetables and dairy products) have not come close to doubling in price. And, according to the EIA, gas prices are expected to rise over the next few weeks as global consumption outpaces production.

Anyway, what's with the not-so-subtle politicizing? Politics is the last thing I want to be exposed to when I visit Airgun Nation.

Last edited:
The airguns from China sure seem to be selling well . Is it a price point thing or because guys like to tinker and bolt on accessories ? I have a pp700sa and it's a lot of fun for 200 bucks . But would never replace my Taipan with a knock-off. Even at half price.

They seem to be on backorder like some others . Could be their keeping the buzz going as well .

Last edited:
Wouldn't be the first time some kind of fad erupted and faded away. I think
I got into airguns when the pandemic was raging. I think a lot of guys did. And I think our reasoning was similar. I think that created a boom.

I spent four or five years with different rifles on a learning curve and now the curve has flattened out so has the purchasing. I have what I want and I just don't need anymore. It's the natural arc of any boom.

I don't buy into the "it's the economy" talk. I live in the poorest place in the country and things have never been better. Plenty of work. Unemployment is the lowest in decades. Lots of oilfield and wind generation jobs. Road and bridge projects. Aerospace jobs. Solar manufacturing and installation is huge. Help wanted signs everywhere.

A CD at the bank is paying 5%. Everyone is driving big diesel pickups and towing expensive rv's. They are shooting new rifles and building new houses. They have spending money and that is what drives prices up.

So a fellow shooting a $2000 toy griping about the economy is not making much sense to me. Same with the guy driving a new $70k pickup telling me the economy is ruined. It just dosent fit.

The airgun industry boomed for a few years. After every boom there is a bust. It's just the natural cycle. Anyone that wants an air rifle can buy one. There are simply fewer and fewer guys that want one. A big part of that is the fact they already have 7 or 8 and simply don't need anymore.

I can only speak from my experience but I can assume many others share the same experience. And that is how I see things from my limited perspective as an airgunner.
agree completely, and I do think the pandemic created opportunities for a lot of people to pick up new interests / hobbies due to changed/disrupted routines, we are on the other side of that boom...

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I’ve been slowly stepping into it, starting with a springer 22. Going to be buying a Texan .457 tomorrow. I’ve been talking to people around me about it and they all look at me like I’m crazy, but hoping to change some minds once they see that it is viable for hunting without disturbing anyone else

Fact check: Thanks to a massive outbreak of avian flu, eggs have nearly doubled in price. But eggs aren't produce. On average, produce (vegetables and dairy products) have not come close to doubling in price. And, according to the EIA, gas prices are expected to rise over the next few weeks as global consumption outpaces production.

Anyway, what's with the not-so-subtle politicizing? Politics is the last thing I want to be exposed to when I visit Airgun Warriors.
Fact check, I DON'T CARE what the average is nationally, celery prices have doubled here, in NH, and this is Airgun Nation not Airgun Warriors. It's not politics, it's a fact of life that effects everything. Don't want to read a post, move on. I am.

Reactions: Jaxjax