Diana Is my Diana 34 worthy of a scope?

Here is how I mount mine.

HW97k. 40mm Hawke Airmax. Medium Sportsmatch 4 screw rings. Rock solid. Never a slip in 5k shots. Wicked accurate.

20240824_133207.jpg

HW95. 32mm Hawke Vantage fixed 4x. Low Sportsmatch rings. I had to cut the lens covers to get them on the objective bell. Never an issue with scope slip. 6-8 k shots.

20240824_133248.jpg

Low is how we're rollin'.

Notice I get the rings as far apart as practical.

The 95 has perfect cheek weld. The 97 is just a fraction too high but still very nice. Anything over a 40 mm objective on these rifles would benefit from a cheek rest.

Last edited:
Here is how I mount mine.

HW97k. 40mm Hawke Airmax. Medium Sportsmatch 4 screw rings. Rock solid. Never a slip in 5k shots. Wicked accurate.

View attachment 490849

HW95. 32mm Hawke Vantage fixed 4x. Low Sportsmatch rings. I had to cut the lens covers to get them on the objective bell. Never an issue with scope slip. 6-8 k shots.

View attachment 490851

Low is how we're rollin'.

Notice I get the rings as far apart as practical.

The 95 has perfect cheek weld. The 97 is just a fraction too high but still very nice. Anything over a 40 mm objective on these rifles would benefit from a cheek rest.
I used to mount mine like that as low as possible, and I also had to cut the bottom of the front scope cap. The sports match rings are top notch.
I switched to the pic rail which is like .560 high with low rings. I think the added height helps my long shots in my mind, at least I do hit better at longer distances, or it seems easier to hit longer distances than the low mount for me.
IMG_7194.jpeg

Low mount does look better though.

I used to mount mine like that as low as possible, and I also had to cut the bottom of the front scope cap. The sports match rings are top notch.
I switched to the pic rail which is like .560 high with low rings. I think the added height helps my long shots in my mind, at least I do hit better at longer distances, or it seems easier to hit longer distances than the low mount for me.
View attachment 490914
Low mount does look better though.

As long as it's comfortable to shoot and holds tight I guess it's just personal preference.

The Pic rails are a great system. I sure like them better than a dovetail mount. I have them on all my high power rifles. And as we discussed the Hatsans....

As long as it's comfortable to shoot and holds tight I guess it's just personal preference.

The Pic rails are a great system. I sure like them better than a dovetail mount. I have them on all my high power rifles. And as we discussed the Hatsans....
I used to use those pic adapter to dovetail things,
and they did work, but not ideal set up. With the pic rail I have the stop pin in a bushing that fits the receiver hole with a snug slip fit, so it isn't going anywhere. Then of course the pic rings have that cross bar that lock into the rail.
I don't get a cheek weld like when shooting a PB,
I get real close but never really touching the stock, and if I do it's feather light. I tend to throw wild shots if I put my cheek on the stock..lol..

I used to use those pic adapter to dovetail things,
and they did work, but not ideal set up. With the pic rail I have the stop pin in a bushing that fits the receiver hole with a snug slip fit, so it isn't going anywhere. Then of course the pic rings have that cross bar that lock into the rail.
I don't get a cheek weld like when shooting a PB,
I get real close but never really touching the stock, and if I do it's feather light. I tend to throw wild shots if I put my cheek on the stock..lol..

I'm the opposite! When I mount the gun I push it down into place with my cheek. I get it on my shoulder by registering the rifle with cheek pressure. Then pull it hard into my shoulder. Then relax.

If I don't take all the slack out of the butt it runs into my shoulder and the gun jumps. I use my cheek to push it in place. I like a good solid cheek weld and a light butt pressure.

It's a good conversation. You find out what guys do differently.

I h honestly don't think a particular hold is needed. As long as you offset the spring thrust with your right shoulder anything seems to work. Too tight or too loose and it jumps.

I dunno. I'm still figuring it out. All I know is things are getting easier as time goes by. You learn something with every shot.

I don't listen to those who don't actually have hands on experience. I also don't give out suggestions without hands on information! I will assure that my 34 was well worth scoping! I will also assure you it sucked without a droop compensating mount! Once I did use the proper mount, made exclusively for this purpose, in fact it is named by the manufacturer, a "RWS Droop Compensating Mount" I am very happy I did it properly!
20240518_100750.jpg
20240719_090707[1].jpg

At 25 yards before I sighted it in, compared to my Tuned Beeman R10 makes a statement, the AA target with the shot to the right was me, not ready to shoot. But the targets tell the story, mounted properly, it should make you smile. All stock factory with a Votek PG4-HO spring I installed!
20240826_192654[1].jpg

Last edited:
My weihraucks don't need the droop compensating mounts, and all are direct ring to dovetail mounted..
20240724_111744[1].jpg

But all my Diana's do to keep the zero in the center of my adjustment zone, which is the best setup for any scope. Diana's are different when it comes to scope mounting. I have never bent a barrel, and mine as accurate as any gun I own, in fact the 54 is the most accurate and hardest hitting air rifle I have, fixed barrel, and needed the droop compensating mount!
20240729_123310[1].jpg

Reactions: BABz58
I noticed on @Wildcatter D34 rifle as well as the OP's that the forestocks have been shortened. Chopped off in front of the pivot.

That's a pretty popular mod for a D34. I'm seriously considering it with mine. It's a finger pincher for sure having that wood out in front of the pivot.

I also notice how far rearward @Wildcatter scopes are mounted. Especially on the D54. It is inches farther rearward than anything ive ever seen. Compare it to @beerthief rifle as well as the two I posted.

I'm wondering about eye relief. Either those scopes have an incredibly close eye relief or the owners hold is WAY different. Or both.

Check out where the eyepiece is in relation to the trigger. It seems to vary considerably on the guns on the rack. And the D54 is pretty extreme. It's WAY back there.

Most scopes are mounted more or less where the first knuckle on the thumb of the trigger hand rests. These are all way behind that point.

Just wondering about it and why...

Last edited:
My weihraucks don't need the droop compensating mounts, and all are direct ring to dovetail mounted..
View attachment 491542

But all my Diana's do to keep the zero in the center of my adjustment zone, which is the best setup for any scope. Diana's are different when it comes to scope mounting. I have never bent a barrel, and mine as accurate as any gun I own, in fact the 54 is the most accurate and hardest hitting air rifle I have, fixed barrel, and needed the droop compensating mount!
.View attachment 491543
Beautiful!

Please let me know which adjustable
I noticed on @Wildcatter D34 rifle as well as the OP's that the forestocks have been shortened. Chopped off in front of the pivot.

That's a pretty popular mod for a D34. I'm seriously considering it with mine. It's a finger pincher for sure having that wood out in front of the pivot.

I also notice how far rearward @Wildcatter scopes are mounted. Especially on the D54. It is inches farther rearward than anything ive ever seen. Compare it to @beerthief rifle as well as the two I posted.

I'm wondering about eye relief. Either those scopes have an incredibly close eye relief or the owners hold is WAY different. Or both.

Check out where the eyepiece is in relation to the trigger. It seems to vary considerably on the guns on the rack. And the D54 is pretty extreme. It's WAY back there.

Most scopes are mounted more or less where the first knuckle on the thumb of the trigger hand rests. These are all way behind that point.

Just wondering about it and why...
I believe the shorter forestocks were part of the earlier design. My D34 has definitely not been modified…it’s just the stock design from 1998.

I don't listen to those who don't actually have hands on experience. I also don't give out suggestions without hands on information! I will assure that my 34 was well worth scoping! I will also assure you it sucked without a droop compensating mount! Once I did use the proper mount, made exclusively for this purpose, in fact it is named by the manufacturer, a "RWS Droop Compensating Mount" I am very happy I did it properly!
View attachment 491423View attachment 491428

At 25 yards before I sighted it in, compared to my Tuned Beeman R10 makes a statement, the AA target with the shot to the right was me, not ready to shoot. But the targets tell the story, mounted properly, it should make you smile. All stock factory with a Votek PG4-HO spring I installed! View attachment 491432
I’ve decided to wait for my new scope to arrive before I do any barrel bending. The primary reason I’m considering the barrel bending approach is because my barrel is pointing left out of the breech block. Perhaps the scopes adjustments will compensate for this? I’ll keep the group posted.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I believe the shorter forestocks were part of the earlier design. My D34 has definitely not been modified…it’s just the stock design from 1998.

That may be. It sure looks like it was cut down. I honestly don't know.

Check out @Wildcatter 's forend. Definitely cut back.

Mine was manufactured in 2017. Look at the difference!

20240827_091550.jpg

It will grab a finger closing it if your not careful!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diehard50248

Mile was manufactured in 2017. Look at the difference!

View attachment 491562

I see what you’re saying now with Wildcatter’s stock. Very interesting.

I’ve been assuming my 1998 D34 was a significantly different design than the more modern D34s, but it’s really just the stock length that’s different. Thats good to know.

Mile was manufactured in 2017. Look at the difference!

View attachment 491562

Just wondering how you pinch a finger if you are cocking it by the end of the barrel. Surely you don’t grab it by the end of the stock to cock it?

I’ve decided to wait for my new scope to arrive before I do any barrel bending. The primary reason I’m considering the barrel bending approach is because my barrel is pointing left out of the breech block. Perhaps the scopes adjustments will compensate for this? I’ll keep the group posted.

That's a good idea. If you are primarily using a scope you may as well bend things to center on that.

Too much "rightward" adjustment puts more tension on the scope spring. Too much "upward" does too. The combination limits your adjustment range. But if you can zero it without going extreme out of optical center it will work.

Downward and leftward adjustment reduces spring tension. The erector tube tends to bounce under recoil. Depending on the scope and the type of spring it can cause you to scramble it.

Some guys have no problem shooting a scope way off optical center. Some do. So I guess it depends on your individual case. If it works for you no problem. If it dosent you can always bend the barrel or get a compensating mount.

I shoot iron sights a lot. Mine shot low but a lower front sight fixed that nicely. The rear sight was so far over it was difficult to get my eye behind it. So I decided to bend it. If I could have lived with it I would have.

I shot it for a few years with a scope adjusted way "high" and way "left" to compensate. I broke a couple scopes but I fired a lot of shots. Who knows if the scope life was reduced? I guess only time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diehard50248

I’ve been assuming my 1998 D34 was a significantly different design than the more modern D34s, but it’s really just the stock length that’s different. Thats good to know.

The stock on my D34 is short too. Too short in LOP for me. In comparison to my HW95 over an inch! I run a limbsaver butt pad on the Diana. It brings the LOP exactly to the length of the HW95 which seems perfect for offhand and sitting.

The HW97 synthetic stock is short too. I use a thick limbsaver pad on it as well. The pad brings all the rifles to the same LOP.

I am suspicious that is why the HW95 is "jumpier" than the others. It has no thick rubber in between the stock and your shoulder. The other two rifles are as steady as a heartbeat. If the HW95 didn't have a walnut stock I'd be tempted to cut it off and put a thick pad on it just to see if it helped.

Just wondering how you pinch a finger if you are cocking it by the end of the barrel. Surely you don’t grab it by the end of the stock to cock it?

You pinch when you are returning the barrel to the locked position. Not when cocking!

You have to remember to keep your hand a little too far forward when closing or you get the edge of your hand pinched when you bring the barrel up.

A couple inches less wood and the stock is out of the way.

Compare the photo of my stock with @Wildcatter . Also @Diehard50248 . It's WAY forward of the pivot creating a pinch point. Now compare with an HW forend. There is a world of difference there.

Lots of guys chop them down like @Wildcatter . Maybe he will chime in about the forend on his rifle and his scope mounting.

Reactions: BABz58
You pinch when you are returning the barrel to the locked position. Not when cocking!

You have to remember to keep your hand a little too far forward when closing or you get the edge of your hand pinched when you bring the barrel up.

A couple inches less wood and the stock is out of the way.

Compare the photo of my stock with @Wildcatter . Also @Diehard50248 . It's WAY forward of the pivot creating a pinch point. Now compare with an HW forend. There is a world of difference there.

Lots of guys chop them down like @Wildcatter . Maybe he will chime in about the forend on his rifle and his scope mounting.
Makes sense now. I’ve had my morning coffee. So I can’t blame it on lack of caffeine lol

Mine was manufactured in 2017. Look at the difference!

View attachment 491562

Like I have said in several posts, Unlike Many Here, I don't make statements I have no hands on wit. It is exactly what I stated it was, and my stock is definitely not cut back, nor did it ever come with a but plate! This is exactly how it came from the German factory, it is an early T05 trigger version of the model 34, nothing special, bone stock except for the PG4-HO spring and Vortek seal.

I will also state that the stock has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that most diana rifles have barrel droop, directly from the factory. I will say some with the later version stock, or many, were from CHINA, and those I have no history with. Not certain but I believe the 2017 models were being made in China? I make no uncertain claim to that being fact, but it is from the era when Diana was cheapening some of their lower tier rifles to compete with the lower tier priced rifles.
20240719_090720[1].jpg
20240719_090745[1].jpg

I also stand by my statement about them delivering exceptional accuracy, maybe only from the era before being made overseas, again, I have no experience with these newer rifles other than my 54 AKP, their premier model. But today I think they are now being made by new ownership, this could be good, but we've seen many instances of new owners of well established products, being all about making money off of an established name, while they strive to cut more cost and more corners with only short term profits as their goal! Hopefully we don't see this with the Diana name. Only time will tell!

Last edited:
Like I have said in several posts, Unlike Many Here, I don't make statements I have no hands on wit. It is exactly what I stated it was, and my stock is definitely not cut back, nor did it ever come with a but plate! This is exactly how it came from the German factory, it is an early T05 trigger version of the model 34, nothing special, bone stock except for the PG4-HO spring and Vortek seal.

I will also state that the stock has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that most diana rifles have barrel droop, directly from the factory. I will say some with the later version stock, or many, were from CHINA, and those I have no history with. Not certain but I believe the 2017 models were being made in China? I make no uncertain claim to that being fact, but it is from the era when Diana was cheapening some of their lower tier rifles to compete with the lower tier priced rifles.
View attachment 491581View attachment 491582

I also stand by my statement about them delivering exceptional accuracy, maybe only from the era before being made overseas, again, I have no experience with these newer rifles other than my 54 AKP, their premier model. But today I think they are now being made by new ownership, this could be good, but we've seen many instances of new owners of well established products, being all about making money off of an established name, while they strive to cut more cost and more corners with only short term profits as their goal! Hopefully we don't see this with the Diana name. Only time will tell!

I'm sorry if my inquiry put you off. It wasn't intended as a debate. There is no need to be defensive.

You have made it clear that you value experience and hands on knowledge several times. I agree and acknowledge that! Your opinions are valued and appreciated!

Your forend is unique. Some guys cut them off. I was just interested in how yours got that way. I didn't realize that some came from the factory that way.

I also inquired about the eye relief on your scopes. No issues. I just wondered. It wasn't meant as a criticism. It was something I saw in your photos and I thought I would ask you about it.

Im sorry if my posts landed wrong.

Read my posts, there is more to different in many of the newer 34D's than the wood! trigger, is also different, if you have a 98 it is not a T06 trigger! In my case my 36 is a nothing more than the 34 with a deluxe checkered stock, but being a 92 design it incorporates the T01 trigger, different from O5 built 34D standard stock and a T05 trigger! I prefer the T01 trigger myself, but all can be extremely nice once you learn to set them up, as all are different, but capable of primarily the same results!

This difference in trigger also means a difference in the piston, as the sear notch is not the same on these triggers. what else is different, I'll not state, but what I will say the points I have made a=here are facts, unless I stated different! I try not to confuse others as we have many here with more hands on knowledge of these fine rifles than me. But before you do anything like benmding the barrel, ask yourself why would Diana sell it's own mount, and name it, Droop Compensating, before you decide to bend yours?

I am glad I didn't change a thing on my 34, and decided to use the correct mount ment for my rifle. I am certain, it would never have shot better than it does now as it came from Germany! Not saying it couldn't be made to shoot better, but certain I'm quite happy with it just the way it came. The spring kit from Vortek, was for shot cycle sound and so I don't have to worry about the factory spring, which is the heartbeat of the springer, to ever fail on me.