Is nitrogen the way to go for PCP's, if it's feasible?

It turns out, despite having basically no manufacturing in my area, I am able to get nitrogen delivered to my house. ~500 cf, 6000 psi, for less than $200 US (that's the yearly lease for the tank + the one fill + the one delivery). There was no mention of other fees, but there's probably taxes on it too.

As the topic title asks, is nitrogen the way to go, if my plan is to acquire a top tier air rifle, or two....or more (over the next several years)?

I'm guessing one tank will last me about a year. If that's accurate, it works out to 15 years to spend the $3k I would have spent on a compressor....not considering inflation increases. And not including maintenance parts, fluids, and time spent working on the compressor.

Am I missing something? Why would I not go with nitrogen? I have a "safe" place to store it, and the only way it would get tampered with is if someone deliberately broke in.

I use nitrogen..and pay close to the same..you will need regulated gauge..$500...the only draw back is leaving to go shoot..I guess you could fill a tank..I will buy a compressor...that $3200 akin is the boss.

standard.jpg
[/url][/img]

I'm closing into a year and still have over 5000 psi and fill my crown and impact..my wife is a competitor..she likes beating me..lol

Thanks tibor. I've seen that pic before, in other N2 threads on here. The travel aspect never crossed my mind (because it doesn't necessarily apply to me). Good call though. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm sure it will help others.

I should have mentioned....I feel very fortunate. I am able to shoot on my own property. I don't plan to travel very far from the source. I'll budget for a tank if I get to a point that I need it.

Thanks Chickenthief. I'll look into the Altaros. Isn't shoebox done/no longer being made/sold?

If you are going to fill directly to the gun DO GET. the fill station with the regulator. If you go the cheap route and just get a fill station you will likely damage your rifle. You do not want to dump 6000 psi into your gun. The fill station with the regulator is north of $500. Joe Brancato the air tank guy is the only person that I know sells what you need. You will probably want an air tank anyways so the other option is buying the cheaper fill station $ 189 and spending the savings on a tank. Talk to Joe.
If you can get N2 delivered that’s the way to go. I can’t . Getting the tank myself is the only negative. It’s a pretty big negative.

Nitrogen is the only way to go. With that being said, most of us out in the weeds are not able to get it. I can get it 60 miles away from me but the tank is way too heavy to handle on my own. There is an Airgas business here in town but they tell me they can't get it. I would use only nitrogen if it were available. A cheap inert gas not sensitive to temperatures. What's not to like.

Nitrogen is the only way to go. With that being said, most of us out in the weeds are not able to get it. I can get it 60 miles away from me but the tank is way too heavy to handle on my own. There is an Airgas business here in town but they tell me they can't get it. I would use only nitrogen if it were available. A cheap inert gas not sensitive to temperatures. What's not to like.

That was my thinking....but I'm a noob, and have never owned a PCP....yet.

Thanks all that have replied so far.

Something unexpected came up, so it most likely will be a couple more months before I get going with N2, and a new toy.

I won't get into the details but, I'm not from where I live now, and sometimes we are not too technical or exact here. Once I get it, I'll post more exact dimensions/specs. I was told the cylinder is about 5 feet tall and about 12 inches in diameter, weighing about 300 pounds. This is what I got in an email: The bottles are the same size as our 200 cf oxygen. The pressure in the O2 bottles is 2000 psi so at 6000psi I would have to say you would be at the 4 to 5 hundred cubic foot range at least.

I'd recommend a newbie to buy a good tank set as a first step into the hobby. If you lose interest you can sell your tank and recoup a good portion of the original outlay. Nitrogen rental only makes sense if you use lots of air and are a dedicated high volume user. Remember that you also need to buy a $500 regulator set, etc. 

I'd recommend you buy a used Bauer Junior II compressor or a new Coltri MCH-6, or Daystate LC-110 compressor instead. Let's say you are a power user and completely use up a full nitrogen rental tank a year. You are assuming the rental cost of $200 per year will stay constant, which it assuredly will not. In 15 years it is likely that the supplier will either stop selling to you or increase the price by at minumum of 50% over that period, making the rental total $4500 or more. Meanwhile, if you purchase a high quality compressor like a Bauer or Coltri, it will retain a depreciated resale value. A 15 year old Bauer Jr II today is worth more than it sold for new 15 years ago. A 15 year old Coltri will be worth at least 50% of a new one if maintained and not abused. Airgunners are light users compared to dive shops so the wear and tear on a dive compressor is minimal. Even factoring in repairs it makes more sense to invest in a compressor and get part of your money back rather than renting a heavy tank with it's associated hassles and getting nothing back in the end.

I use Nitrogen to fill my guns and rent a 6k tank. The tanks are a beast and need at least 2 people to move. Make sure you follow safey protocols and secure the tank with a chain or other approved restraint. As for a gauge , I do not have a regulated one. I just take my time and fill slowly and stop at my desired fill pressure. Just like filling my airguns that are rated for 3000 psi off my 4500 psi carbon fiber tank. 

- Duke 

I use nitrogen, and am happy to do so. $75 yearly rental and $75 a fill. It required a $200 connector and I have a portable tank, because I would want one for any setup I have. 

I owned a Daystate compressor. It worked great and I sold it because I got out of the sport for a year or so. It was fine while I had it, but even those can have problems. I didn’t go get another one, because I didn’t want to deal with the issues I see with many compressors. (I could have had 10-15 years with no problems too). The only paintball place is too far to deal with. 

Is the Nitrogen going to turn out cheaper than other options? Maybe not. It could be cheaper or it could be more expensive than another option. I decided for me that it may be cheaper, in the long run if the next compressor doesn’t last, so I am happy with my choice. Either way, having air on site was the most important thing to me, and I have that.

I think my primary motive for going N2 initially would be because I could start shooting PCP almost immediately (just need a regulator, and a rifle....and ideally a proper hand truck for gas cylinders, and a chain wall mount).

Buying a tank and compressor (and a rifle) will mean having to wait even longer for more $$$ to be saved.

I can't seem to find a place to fill tanks within a reasonable distance, so self supplied air is my only option (fire departments don't seem to want to touch it, dive shop is 200+ miles away, paintball place is defunct).

for me the hand pumping was coming to an end..I read this forum for the last 3 years..very help full...they was no way I was purchasing a china compressor..not for me ..but I did purchase a new F10 shoebox..american made very good..

standard.jpg
[/url][/img]

.but come on ..that thing is so slow and all the moving parts..compressor ..filters..not for me.. sold after one use..all most bought a daystate..this forum had members post a lot of failures..so the nitrogen was the way I went..I shoot every day..nice convenience..still a start up cost under $800..regulator..bottle rental.. cost of nitrogen.