Is something wrong with my airgun CO2 sig saurer X-five ~430fps

Regular 12g co2 canister airgun. It's just bought online. It's a few years old with nearly no use on it. But, as I was new to this thing I had just initially just left the CO2 canister in the weapon for a very long time without taking it out. i’ve read that there might be a problem with causing some sort of gasket damage?

however, besides this, I don’t think I have used or maintained the gun improperly ever.

so here’s the thing in tests I see online people can get 2 inches of penetration with pretty much the same pellets with this gun (guns like daisy 426). but in my testing with this, I distinctly remember getting six layers of cardboard penetration like 2 months ago, which is honestly pretty good, and miraculously now that six layers has gone down to a solid and consistent four layers of cardboard. That's really confusing. maybe it’s my testing or maybe the gun sucks now.

In any case the reason why I'm asking is because i’ve got a bit of a raccoon problem and I’ve been forced to try to shoo them off (not kill them with the air gun). mind you I’m not trying to kill them at all because I actually don’t want them to die in my yard, that would be very bad. I'm not the kinda guy who’s gonna start putting spikes of raccon skulls in my garden to deter their family members.

so basically, I am pretty sure I’ve been hitting the raccoons, but every time their reaction to probably getting shot is basically just to scram without a sound. I asked a friend of mine about this, and they said that the raccoons should be making a noise. so in the end, all of this has just called into question the actual penetration capabilities of this gun and if this sounds normal at all to everyone here.

Thanks folks.

Regular 12g co2 canister airgun. It's just bought online. It's a few years old with nearly no use on it. But, as I was new to this thing I had just initially just left the CO2 canister in the weapon for a very long time without taking it out. i’ve read that there might be a problem with causing some sort of gasket damage?

however, besides this, I don’t think I have used or maintained the gun improperly ever.

so here’s the thing in tests I see online people can get 2 inches of penetration with pretty much the same pellets with this gun (guns like daisy 426). but in my testing with this, I distinctly remember getting six layers of cardboard penetration like 2 months ago, which is honestly pretty good, and miraculously now that six layers has gone down to a solid and consistent four layers of cardboard. That's really confusing. maybe it’s my testing or maybe the gun sucks now.

In any case the reason why I'm asking is because i’ve got a bit of a raccoon problem and I’ve been forced to try to shoo them off (not kill them with the air gun). mind you I’m not trying to kill them at all because I actually don’t want them to die in my yard, that would be very bad. I'm not the kinda guy who’s gonna start putting spikes of raccon skulls in my garden to deter their family members.

so basically, I am pretty sure I’ve been hitting the raccoons, but every time their reaction to probably getting shot is basically just to scram without a sound. I asked a friend of mine about this, and they said that the raccoons should be making a noise. so in the end, all of this has just called into question the actual penetration capabilities of this gun and if this sounds normal at all to everyone here.

Thanks folks.
Clean, lube, check seals🤷‍♂️I'm not fond of c02 personally. But for your purposes it should work fine. Hitting a creature with a pellet or BB[even throwing a stone] that has no idea you are there is definitely a way to deter them from reoccurring.🎩🤌

Thanks. But I would also like to know if anyone would think that having it loaded for such a long time could damage the seal beyond a doubt, let's say 6 months or 12. I do have a hard time understanding or guessing the possible problems.

Even better, if anyone would know if those layers of penetration are normal or extremely low. That would immediately help me understand if the gun's ****t

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
If liquid Co2 can touch seals it causes them to swell and they eventually fail. If it is not leaking your seals are fine. I keep Co2 in my pistols all year round but store them so the cannister is pointed down away from the pierced end.

Co2 is temperature sensitive and once below 60 degrees F they shoot slower. Check how well you are piercing the canister. Another thing that could be happening is old lubricant around your hammer is getting gummy causing the hammer to slow down.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Just FYI, I don’t think you have to concern yourself with O-ring degradation. At least two different chemical compatibility charts show no concerns with either gas or liquid CO2 exposure to Buna-N, polyurethane, or Viton.

I have frequently retrieved a CO2 gun in the spring that I left charged over the winter to find it still has CO2 in it.

Reactions: Sicumj
Just FYI, I don’t think you have to concern yourself with O-ring degradation. At least two different chemical compatibility charts show no concerns with either gas or liquid CO2 exposure to Buna-N, polyurethane, or Viton.

I have frequently retrieved a CO2 gun in the spring that I left charged over the winter to find it still has CO2 in it.
Thank you! I imagined the issue would be the pressure on the rings but this is also helpful to know.

And to shawn - not snowing levels of cold so probably not relevant. I do live on the West Coast - it does not really get that cold here :p

Just a suggestion:

Try Victor rat traps (not mouse traps) to deter raccoons. Not lethal, but one or two snaps in those traps will send them away for good. Plus, you don't have to worry about burying pellets beneath their hide or being awake at 2 am to shoot them.

FWIW - Raccoons do not make a sound when stung by these traps.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
Just a suggestion:

Try Victor rat traps (not mouse traps) to deter raccoons. Not lethal, but one or two snaps in those traps will send them away for good. Plus, you don't have to worry about burying pellets beneath their hide or being awake at 2 am to shoot them.

FWIW - Raccoons do not make a sound when stung by these traps.
Really good to know!

I've been shooting AT raccoons with .177 CO2 handguns and .22 1k-2k PSI, never knew if my aim was just that bad or if they just don't make a sound. Maybe they just don't scream when shot.

Really good to know!

I've been shooting AT raccoons with .177 CO2 handguns and .22 1k-2k PSI, never knew if my aim was just that bad or if they just don't make a sound. Maybe they just don't scream when shot.
If you haven't already eliminated their food source from your property, make sure you do that. They usually move on if there's no food.