Is there a " Zan " speed ?

Peashooter

Apr 9, 2021
Denmark
I have noticed, no matter what slug weight and what rifle i shoot my Zan slugs in, the speed of 960 - 970 seem to be the sweet spot.
Kinda funny CUZ my 2 rifles are not the same barrels or even barrel type.

But in my Maverick 13 grain are best at that speed, and in my Two with CZub barrel 16 grain are apparently flying best at that speed too, though i am not entirely done testing this rifle / weight ammo.

Zan prints the optimum speed on the side of the packaging under the product description of caliber, weight, etc.
it's funny that so many folks can be disappointed with their slug shooting experiences all because they don't have the right barrel/gun or refuse to turn the reg up. Keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to see some pics of your groups!
Good Luck!

Zan prints the optimum speed on the side of the packaging under the product description of caliber, weight, etc.
it's funny that so many folks can be disappointed with their slug shooting experiences all because they don't have the right barrel/gun or refuse to turn the reg up. Keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to see some pics of your groups!
Good Luck!
I've just checked my Zan slugs, definitely no optimum speed printed on the packaging.
Perhaps it's a larger calibre information?

Just checked my new in Black boxes 16 grain Zan slugs, no mentioning of speed on them.

@Rizz01

Last year i shot two of my best 5 shot groups ever, and back to back even, at 86 M / 92 yards using 13gr Zans and maverick with heavy barrel.

6971c588e31e722dfa16e09a421b3905403dd3b1.jpg

Normally i turn these 2" targets to Swiss Cheese playing the game i call " Annihilate the red base " that being the red dot on the target.

You can do that with 1 perfect shot dead on, but me and my rifle are not that good so it have only happened 1 time in like 200 attempts, just like i have only hit 1 fly at 86 M in spite of trying every chance i get, and there are many flies coming to my sugar water doused backing cardboard.
So for the most it take me 20 - 30 shots to remove all of the red " base", but some times i also just pile slugs into the same hole beside the remains of the red dot and in the end i give up and move to the next target.

This is a screen grab of the video from yesterday with my 5 shot "attempt" at 93 M / 100 yards, at the time my speed was not ideal, and the wind was still plentiful, so i got lucky on that one.
1-2-3 shot in one group, then 4 shot went way high and L, and finally 5 shot to the R of the first 3 shots. All 5 shots i was aiming at the 1 O clock position on the 1" ring.
Speed mostly to blame for my holes wandering all over the place at this time, as you can see around other targets in frame, finding a better speed later on made things a lot more enjoyable.

100Y5S.jpg

Last edited:
does this mean I should not use slugs in this rifle since it’s 950 fps is recommended
I think not, it might mean that if you was able to reach that speed, your accuracy might be even better.
It could also be if you up regulated pressure ASO to get your slugs to that speed, well anything else you might shoot will be flying too fast.

At least that is how i feel with my Two rifle, where when tuned to 16 grain slugs only the 16 grain JSB beasts will also work fine.
Of course on the Two i have a regulator ready to dial on, in the Vixen it is my understanding that need a little work to reach, so the question is if it is worth it if you already have good accuracy and grouping.

As my Two rifle have a 700 mm barrel it mean that at the lowest reg pressyre of 53 BAR 10.3-4-5 grain pellets are still well over 900 FPS in speed, and that is also backed way off on the hammer, though at least in the UP speed direction the balanced valve make it so you dont really get more speed, but going down on the hammer you do get to a place where you will also suddenly see slower speeds.
To get them to fly slower i will have to reach to the valve inside the rifle and adjust it so it would close faster, but i do not feel that is a option.
Besides the 10.3-4-5 grain pellets are flying fairly well, i am sure on a dead calm day i would not have too much problems having most of 10 shots hot a 2" target at 100 yards.
Sadly in my recent pellet craze i did not test the monster redesigns at their 13.4grain weight, those might actually be at the just right speed.

In my FX panthera .177 700mm

Zan 13 970
Zan 16 970
Zan 20 970
Zan 22 930
I also have to shoot 20 grain or heavier slower, at least if i want them to arrive with the tip first at far away targets.
Close like 50 M i do feel like i can pus them as fast as i like to, and i have been way past 1000 fps with the 24 grain ones.
This in my Two rifle.

PS: i have not really tried 20 -22 -24 grain in my Maverick in 700 mm, i have now cut the choke off both barrels so they are 600 mm, but i am liking my Epic airguns Two rifle too much so i have not really shot the " new " maverick much.
I also need to redo the crown on the heavy barrel, CUZ i did mess that one up.

I also have to shoot 20 grain or heavier slower, at least if i want them to arrive with the tip first at far away targets.
Close like 50 M i do feel like i can pus them as fast as i like to, and i have been way past 1000 fps with the 24 grain ones.
This in my Two rifle.

PS: i have not really tried 20 -22 -24 grain in my Maverick in 700 mm, i have now cut the choke off both barrels so they are 600 mm, but i am liking my Epic airguns Two rifle too much so i have not really shot the " new " maverick much.
I also need to redo the crown on the heavy barrel, CUZ i did mess that one up.
How did it go with ZAN 24grain solids in the Epic2 using the CZ barrel?...

In my FX panthera .177 700mm

Zan 13 970
Zan 16 970
Zan 20 970
Zan 22 930
Here is my reg setting for the above. I tune for max fps on a given regulator setting.
So max hammer and regulator up to get the speed. Then back down hammer to the point where fps starts to drop. That gives 1-2fps spread on my stock panthera with only digital gauges.

Zan 13g 970fps at 80bar

Zan 16g 970fps at 95bar

Zan 20g 970fps at 115bar

Zan 22g 930fps at 120bar

They all do very good on 50meter - 5 shot groups are 8-10mm

I havent found the speed for the 24g zan yet. Didnt have enough time to try them

Reactions: Peashooter
How did it go with ZAN 24grain solids in the Epic2 using the CZ barrel?...
Short range like 50 M it seen just fine, and even at get up and get them speeds, but further out and they arrive sideways.
I have not checked what orientation Beasts is when i have tried to shoot those far, but i need something a lot bigger then my 2" targets to see it.
But short range the beasts too are like lasers in my rifles, i like shooting them even if they are way too few of them in a tin.

I shot a hole ( using 24 grain ) in the 20 foot container that is the back stop at 55 M at our range, mind you not in 1 shot, bud had sufficient of them land in the same place that it made a hole, the 20 -30 mm branch i was shooting at, it also eventually snapped.
i have not tried to shoot a paper at that short range to see if they arrive with the pointy end first, just assuming by the OK accuracy i saw.

My plan is to make my Maverick the hard short range hitter, shooting +20 grain, just not really gotten around to make that happen.
I did try the original barrel when i had cut that down, and for shorter range it worked just fine as far as my quick and dirty test would tell.
But come colder and more windy days i will expand on that rifle, but right now it is collecting dust.

Reactions: rigbymauser