Umarex Is Your Notos Upgraded or Out the Box?

I’ve read with mucho interest the great reviews and reception the airgunning community has given the Notos. At its price point and performance level OTB its seems a definite winner. It has become a modders delight and all types of iterations keep popping up. I recently inquired in one of the threads as to the actual costs of one of these modded up Notos, including the price of the gun? Two posters confirmed close to 1K. Spending over $700 USD to mod up a under $300 PCP?🙈🫣🙄 At the 1K price point, a lot of other options are available, especially if buying used. My question is… Is “your” Notos an OTB good shooter.? Or did you mod it up for more accuracy, cosmetics, etc.? And if so, how much over the price of the gun have you invested? My impression is that the Notos is a good OTB PCP and should be capable on small pests and targets out to 40 yards as is. Am I mistaken or missing something?

... Two posters confirmed close to 1K. Spending over $700 USD to mod up a under $300 PCP?🙈🫣🙄 At the 1K price point, a lot of other options are available, especially if buying used...

Being one of the posters mentioned above, my story about spending a bunch of money on my notos was actually one of proving parts that I would eventually install for others. Everything I offered to others, needed to be proven in a working gun, items like inline regulators, then drop blocks, Z-blocks and now Dream Valves.

I've gone through lots of o-rings of all sizes, drill bits, reamers, carbide inserts for the lathe, the list goes on.

All of those dollars spent on barrels, carbon fiber bottles and shrouds, liners, moderators etc and thousands of pellets slugs and hand cast projectiles were just to test all of these parts for others and in the end, all of those parts will just be sold off one by one to those that are ok with lightly used.

20240911_201053.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve read with mucho interest the great reviews and reception the airgunning community has given the Notos. At its price point and performance level OTB its seems a definite winner. It has become a modders delight and all types of iterations keep popping up. I recently inquired in one of the threads as to the actual costs of one of these modded up Notos, including the price of the gun? Two posters confirmed close to 1K. Spending over $700 USD to mod up an under $300 PCP?🙈🫣🙄 At the 1K price point, a lot of other options are available, especially if buying used. My question is… Is “your” Notos an OTB good shooter.? Or did you mod it up for more accuracy, cosmetics, etc.? And if so, how much over the price of the gun have you invested? My impression is that the Notos is a good OTB PCP and should be capable on small pests and targets out to 40 yards as is. Am I mistaken or missing something?
mine was OTB shooter. i just nodded for a little extra power and shot count.
it is good for up to 40 yards OTB on small pests and target.

Reactions: Ranchibi
Luis, you are totally correct in your assessment of the Notos. I purchased mine mainly for rats and the occasional squirrel and at 20ft/lbs and very accurate OTB once the barrel is cleaned thoroughly it is hard to beat at it's price point of 200-260. I thought of purchasing the Huben power block, then it would require a carbon fiber bottle...yup, close to 700 and up! Mine gets 25-29 shots shooting 18gr pellets @ 700fps, I think it gets a couple more shots with heavier ammo, enough for my ratting endeavors....I will leave mine in it's current stock OEM configuration. I've only shot mine 10-20yds but it can be as accurate as any PCP at those distances, very quiet too, it's trigger is not great and it's only draw back for better accuracy even though I have adjusted it, I do need to smooth out the triggers sear grub screw. After shooting my RAW, the Notos trigger feels very heavy and not good for optimal accuracy, but good enough for rat pesting. I hope someone manufactures a nicer trigger assembly for it, I would install one. If I were to spend a grand on a ratting PCP....it would would be a used BRK Ranger or Atomic, or RAW Mini (so new prices are too high even used). I like it better than my Prod but the Prod did everything I asked of it...😂👍. I will be adding a handguard rail with a picatinny rail for occasional bipod use, so, yeah I will be modding mine! 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I believe one of the biggest factors of getting one and modding it is not necessarily because it needs it. But rather because you can, and it's cheap. I originally got mine just cause it was cheap, low power, and light. I honestly didnt expect it to shoot as good as it did. The biggest downside to this gun is the magazines. Those are a must to replace.

I believe one of the biggest factors of getting one and modding it is not necessarily because it needs it. But rather because you can, and it's cheap. I originally got mine just cause it was cheap, low power, and light. I honestly didnt expect it to shoot as good as it did. The biggest downside to this gun is the magazines. Those are a must to replace.
So true with everything you said, it surprised me! I got lucky with my one OEM mag that works fine but purchased two of Troy's 12 shot magazines that are INCREDIBLE!

So true with everything you said, it surprised me! I got lucky with my one OEM mag that works fine but purchased two of Troy's 12 shot magazines that are INCREDIBLE!
Yup, I was surprised the first 6 rounds of CPHP went through the magazine and worked fine, after that it jammed 5 mins into using it 🙄. I had read all the claims about the mags being faulty but figured let me give a whirl anyway. Yes his mags are very very good, I love the 15rd mags in particular they are stout!

Mines all original. Few tweaks to lower power but definitely not modded out. Did add a 3d printed forearm and that made a big difference in how it felt holding it offhand. The little airtube is much too narrow. But yeah great gun for what it is. Not gonna change it to what it isn't. Glad others can though that want to.

I have 8 of those magazines and they suck.
They never align properly with the bolt and have to push them 2-3-5mm back into the receiver.
Snowpeak magazines are really bad.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I have a lot of respect for guys like Firewalker, and others.
These guys are investing their own time, and money, experimenting with what works, and what dosent.
They are takeing chance's, and shareing their experiences (good and bad) with others.
Motivated by pride, perfection, and their love of air gunsmithing.
They have taken a great rifle, and made it better than it ever was.
More power, better accuracy, more efficent, higher shot count, better trigger, etc.
I enjoy tagging along, watching/reading about the progress they have achieved, and it has not cost me a dime!

Mine was an OTB shooter but I also wanted a gun that I could tinker with.
I wasn't going to do that to my Avenger and definitely not to my BRK Sniper XR.
I used it as a way to get my feet wet tearing down/rebuilding an airgun. I made mistakes, learned how to fix them, and what not to do in the future.
Worth every penny to me! All 47500 of them! 🤯

OTB for me. Or maybe very lightly modded? Added light and relatively low magnification scopes, some good mags sourced through Firewalker, and some tape on the 'buffer tubes' to keep the stock from rattling so much. These are a rare case for me where I just accept them for what they are, and just have fun shooting them stock.

I’ve read with mucho interest the great reviews and reception the airgunning community has given the Notos. At its price point and performance level OTB its seems a definite winner. It has become a modders delight and all types of iterations keep popping up. I recently inquired in one of the threads as to the actual costs of one of these modded up Notos, including the price of the gun? Two posters confirmed close to 1K. Spending over $700 USD to mod up a under $300 PCP?🙈🫣🙄 At the 1K price point, a lot of other options are available, especially if buying used. My question is… Is “your” Notos an OTB good shooter.? Or did you mod it up for more accuracy, cosmetics, etc.? And if so, how much over the price of the gun have you invested? My impression is that the Notos is a good OTB PCP and should be capable on small pests and targets out to 40 yards as is. Am I mistaken or missing something?

The only mod i've done to my Notos is the moderator insert and bought a few 15 shots high capacity mags from Firewalker, best upgrades i've done to it, MUCH more quieter and double the mag capacity, added a decent scope or red dot sight on it and call it a day. It's light and agile gun, will keep it that way. 20ft-lb is more than enough to smoke the backyard squirrels, 750fps with 15gr Hades right out of the box, and 810fps with lighter Wadcutters, I got 30 shots per refill, and takes less than 3min to recharge from a $200 compressor back to 250 bar.

• Love
Reactions: L.Leon
It’s a hobby. Each person is going to have a different view of how much spent is too much.

As far as “can you recoup your money”, I don’t remember anyone ever trying to sell the weekend fishing trip they already took….

Dave

Fishing trips aren't tangible. Selling the gear you use for your fishing trips however is. The more fishing trips you take and the more you beat up your gear, the more it depreciates. Know what boat stands for? Bust out another thousand.

Reality of building 'hotrods' so to speak, is that rarely does the hotrod's value not depreciate. Airguns are very niche and the people that see the value in hotrodded airguns are few and far between. I'm not busting out another thousand for some ones hot rodded notos. To those hotrodding them...have fun. Its simply more of a group project and people catching fomo (fear of missing out) that in the end results in less than what you'd get by simply dishing out the same coin on a better platform.

-Matt