• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Is your pcp optimized?

I've been passionate about PCP air guns for four years now. There's still much to learn, especially regarding air pressure for optimal performance, considering the twist rate and barrel length for specific slugs or pellets. Previously, I filled my AEA Challenger Big 9 to 4500 psi, the recommended fill rate, then adjusted to 3800 psi—a ballpark figure I used for some time before realizing it wasn't optimal for air pressure, valve, and projectile interaction. Determined to find the right settings, I set up a chronograph and an inline regulator, starting with a 132gr slug at 3800 psi, which yielded velocities from 1010 to 966 fps over eight shots. However, with a twist rate of 1:24 and a 32-inch barrel, this wasn't the ideal pressure. The optimal velocity for that twist rate ranged between 880 and 950 fps for any slug or pellet. To achieve this, I reduced the psi to 2400 for a 132gr slug, resulting in 950 fps and 264.50 fpe, maximizing power and accuracy. It makes me wonder how many of us overuse air for our twist rates, and sharing this could help others optimize their PCP air gun performance as it did for me.

Reactions: jpmustblaze