JSB .22 20.83g MRD Light

I look forward to what you find, here are a few things i have noticed
What i 1st noticed in your picture was the surface appearance of the pellets, especially in the inner skirts.
On the 18.1 g..i am guessing these are an older stock..the apearance of the head and skirt is clean and defined, while the others look like they been through a rock tumbler.
It looks like they are losing material on the skirt, because the inner portion, closest to the bottom, looks scratched up, and the thinner skirt does not look uniform. Don't know what is the cause. It can't be a dirty dies since they were just made. Why are they not as smooth in appearance as the 18.1??
One other note, why is there a "sunburst" pattern at the base of the lights? i don't know why it bugs me, but it just doesn't seem right to me
Last observation is the flat line around the head of the pellets.
The 18.1g has a flat band around it's head's circumference, a consistent point of contact, where the other 2 lack that band and have an contact area that's irregular. I remember there was a time when you could get tins of the 18.1 in differenr head sizes 5.52 and 5.53..Not offered anymore Was this a quaility check they have done away with?
Something has changed for the worse in JSB. Quality has declined while their places have risen. The once mighty is showing signs of complacency, and their laurels are wilting
Looking forward to your more scientific finding
Mike

I see what you noted and agree with your assessment. Yes the 18.13s are from a few years ago. So are the 25.4 MRDs. I was mainly looking at general shape comparison, not specifics to THAT particular sample pellet, so I didn't make a big effort to get that first photo in focus. It kinda looks like the 25.4 has a big parting line down the length of it too.....

I noticed the starburst at the bottom of the skirt too. I'm not sure if it'll have any effect on flight. And consistent flight is high on my list of desired traits of a pellet.

From the standpoint of differences in the general shape.....
I see that the skirt is thickest with the 18.13s and gets progressively thinner as the weight goes up, at least for these three sample pellets.

I also find it interesting in how similar the length from base to bearing surface on the head is, across all three. The length is a smidge more from base to head bearing surface on the 25.4, but the other two are very similar in that particular measurement.

I also find this fascinating.....
Obviously pellet designers have certain parameters that they have to live within, in this case .217" diameter pellets, and typical airgun twist rates. So to change weights they're stuck tweaking only a few parameters.
The angle where the skirt and rear-head comes together seems to be a prime area of focus for JSB weight variations, and to a lesser extent, skirt depth. The issue with skirt depth variations is that it shifts center of gravity, often in bad ways.....so for angle of head and skirt....
Look at the variation...
Screenshot_20240623-121048.png

And look what that does to the length of the rear-head (gotta be a better name for it than that...retrograde-head? Inferior lateral head is probably the most accurate)
Screenshot_20240623-121449.png

So, from an aerodynamic perspective (I have zero experience or actual formal knowledge there) from a laymen in those regards.....sure seems to me like there'd be more turbulent air molecules stripping off a LARGER inferior lateral head in flight than a SMALLER inferior lateral head. And to really get into the trash terms.....smaller inferior lateral head seems like it'd be more slippery in flight than a larger inferior lateral head....and now maybe we're talking BC?

So anyways, that, coupled with simply shooting the 18.13 and the 25.4 AND the .20/15.89, and seeing how they compare to each other in the wind has me guessing that the new 20.83 will be an improvement to an 18.13, but not surpass a good 25.4. (and yes, a "good" 25.4 is a whole different can of worms, but they CAN be extremely good when shot from a barrel that likes them).

I suppose I'm mostly interested in seeing if the .22/20.83 can outshoot the .20/15.89. The extra weight would make it a 38-40fpe projectile, instead of a 30fpe projectile like the .20/15.89. If the BC is an equivalent 0.048ish, the extra fpe would be nice for uses like extreme field target where some of the targets in use need to not only be hit in the correct place but hit HARD in the correct place.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of JSB's pellet designing and testing team.....or to be PAiD to be there!!! Dream job.

My thoughts were if they were similar to the 15.9gr .20s. If they would provide that kind of BC and consistency I'd be interested in trying. But they'd have to be damn good to switch pellets out of my .22 Long. The JTS 18gr perform so well. Id love something heavier with alittle better BC and FPE. But its gotta perform for me to try. The 20-22gr weight is a great range for the Long out the box. The 25gr pellets are alittle heavy unless one changes reg pressure and plenum extension.
20240602_070755.jpg

My thoughts were if they were similar to the 15.9gr .20s. If they would provide that kind of BC and consistency I'd be interested in trying. But they'd have to be damn good to switch pellets out of my .22 Long. The JTS 18gr perform so well. Id love something heavier with alittle better BC and FPE. But its gotta perform for me to try. The 20-22gr weight is a great range for the Long out the box. The 25gr pellets are alittle heavy unless one changes reg pressure and plenum extension.
Yeah Dillon, the JSB .22/18.13 (and by extension the JTS copy of it) has been the primary performer for .22 PCPs in the traditional 30-36fpe realm for years. Lots of .22 guns really excel in that power range, and still offer reasonable shot counts and conservative air usage. I'd hazard a guess that the .22/18.13 has been one of JSBs bigger sellers for years.

It'll take a dang good pellet to de-throne the .22/18.13, and its copies. This .22/20.83 just MIGHT be the one to do it. Light enough to still work for these non-powerhouse PCPs, and as you said, probably better BC and downrange fpe than the 18grainer. Or it MIGHT shoot like utter junk. lol.

After I get a chance to give them a good work out I'll share my results and opinions.

They're in the approximate weight range of H&N Baracuda, which perform well in my HW100S, so they might possibly be another excellent performer like the 18 grain JSB and JTS have been but with more weight/slightly better BC. I might get a tin to test out.

Yeah Dillon, the JSB .22/18.13 (and by extension the JTS copy of it) has been the primary performer for .22 PCPs in the traditional 30-36fpe realm for years. Lots of .22 guns really excel in that power range, and still offer reasonable shot counts and conservative air usage. I'd hazard a guess that the .22/18.13 has been one of JSBs bigger sellers for years.

It'll take a dang good pellet to de-throne the .22/18.13, and its copies. This .22/20.83 just MIGHT be the one to do it. Light enough to still work for these non-powerhouse PCPs, and as you said, probably better BC and downrange fpe than the 18grainer. Or it MIGHT shoot like utter junk. lol.

After I get a chance to give them a good work out I'll share my results and opinions.
The 18 grain JSB/JTS do seem to be ideal for my HW100S, along with the H&N Baracuda in that exact power range, so that new JSB might be another great pellet to try. I need to get a tin to test. It will hard to excel the 18 though.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I see what you noted and agree with your assessment. Yes the 18.13s are from a few years ago. So are the 25.4 MRDs. I was mainly looking at general shape comparison, not specifics to THAT particular sample pellet, so I didn't make a big effort to get that first photo in focus. It kinda looks like the 25.4 has a big parting line down the length of it too.....

I noticed the starburst at the bottom of the skirt too. I'm not sure if it'll have any effect on flight. And consistent flight is high on my list of desired traits of a pellet.

From the standpoint of differences in the general shape.....
I see that the skirt is thickest with the 18.13s and gets progressively thinner as the weight goes up, at least for these three sample pellets.

I also find it interesting in how similar the length from base to bearing surface on the head is, across all three. The length is a smidge more from base to head bearing surface on the 25.4, but the other two are very similar in that particular measurement.

I also find this fascinating.....
Obviously pellet designers have certain parameters that they have to live within, in this case .217" diameter pellets, and typical airgun twist rates. So to change weights they're stuck tweaking only a few parameters.
The angle where the skirt and rear-head comes together seems to be a prime area of focus for JSB weight variations, and to a lesser extent, skirt depth. The issue with skirt depth variations is that it shifts center of gravity, often in bad ways.....so for angle of head and skirt....
Look at the variation...
View attachment 474476

And look what that does to the length of the rear-head (gotta be a better name for it than that...retrograde-head? Inferior lateral head is probably the most accurate)
View attachment 474477

So, from an aerodynamic perspective (I have zero experience or actual formal knowledge there) from a laymen in those regards.....sure seems to me like there'd be more turbulent air molecules stripping off a LARGER inferior lateral head in flight than a SMALLER inferior lateral head. And to really get into the trash terms.....smaller inferior lateral head seems like it'd be more slippery in flight than a larger inferior lateral head....and now maybe we're talking BC?

So anyways, that, coupled with simply shooting the 18.13 and the 25.4 AND the .20/15.89, and seeing how they compare to each other in the wind has me guessing that the new 20.83 will be an improvement to an 18.13, but not surpass a good 25.4. (and yes, a "good" 25.4 is a whole different can of worms, but they CAN be extremely good when shot from a barrel that likes them).

I suppose I'm mostly interested in seeing if the .22/20.83 can outshoot the .20/15.89. The extra weight would make it a 38-40fpe projectile, instead of a 30fpe projectile like the .20/15.89. If the BC is an equivalent 0.048ish, the extra fpe would be nice for uses like extreme field target where some of the targets in use need to not only be hit in the correct place but hit HARD in the correct place.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of JSB's pellet designing and testing team.....or to be PAiD to be there!!! Dream job.
It seems the 18.13gr are an anomaly with that larger area behind the dome...seems a smaller area akin to the 25gr and the new 20gr should have a better BC...but the 18gr are just so good at slow to really high FPS's, something I would have never guessed because of their odd shape....😂

It seems the 18.13gr are an anomaly with that larger area behind the dome...seems a smaller area akin to the 25gr and the new 20gr should have a better BC...but the 18gr are just so good at slow to really high FPS's, something I would have never guessed because of their odd shape....😂

Kinda fun to see the development of JSB pellets over the years. To me it seems the 18.13 shape was extrapolated/scaled up from the .177/8.44, which I assume was an earlier pellet for them than the .22/18.13. Can't argue with how they shoot though.

And more recent developments are the thicker waist and already discussed angle variation to make em heavier and heavier.

Kinda fun to see the development of JSB pellets over the years. To me it seems the 18.13 shape was extrapolated/scaled up from the .177/8.44, which I assume was an earlier pellet for them than the .22/18.13. Can't argue with how they shoot though.

And more recent developments are the thicker waist and already discussed angle variation to make em heavier and heavier.
True true! PCP advancements in power/efficiency has risen exponentially in the last few years and pellet designs for these guns has taken a back seat until recently, slug designs are also catering more to existing barrels and barrel makers are taking notice also, good time to be into airguns! But this old 18gr design still is special (and affordable for 500ct) albeit funny looking...😂...but like you said can't argue with results!

Last edited:
Data collected this morning. Hoping to find time later today to put it into a big post (should be enjoyable for the nerds amongst us).

Teaser is that I'm VERY impressed with the Monster Lights.
Awesome! Looking forward to what they did. I'm trying some of the AEA 21.9gr so can kinda compare with a 1gr difference

Rather than post a very long and convoluted post on someone else’s topic, I started a new one here,

Didn’t want @EPG to think I was taking over his post.

I fixed a slow leak in my Prophet Performance V1 and shot it for the 1st time in a while. It immediately shot two 195 30-Masters cards with 18.13g.

Then I said hmmm - let’s try those new 20.83g MRD Lights with the Prophet and its slow twist rate Long Range barrel.

So I “scientifically” turned in the hammer spring 1/4 turn from its 18.13g @ 870fps tune.

First shot was low (plenum refresh) - the next 5 all went through the same hole (.2545 group edge-to-edge). Damn! When a barrel immediately loves a pellet !!

Then set up a 40-Masters card in a gusty wind today. Took 2 zero shots - only had a 24X scope on… and immediately shot a 193 10X at 40 yards despite the wind - got burned by switching gusts on Pair #8. Wow - great score in the conditions - and only the 9th through 29th MRD Lights shot through this RTI LR barrel.

Looks like the MRD Lights like 865fps through 1:32 twist RTI LR barrels, lol.

-Ed

IMG_5195.jpeg

IMG_5197.jpeg

IMG_5196.jpeg