JTS JTS AIRACUDA STANDARD .22 Owners!

I was thinking about adding one of those drop in style regulators but after reading I think tuning might get desired results.

I ordered a cheap chronograph but currently the jts 18 grains shoot the best out of 7 pellets I've tried. However my issue is it shoots a 1.5 maybe more line up then down . My left right variation is within a dime and from what I am learning this is due to the "shot curve"

I guess ill start with 2 turns out from seated. Then go from there to see if it tightens out at 3 turns.

Is everyone tuning on power level 5? I've seen some on level 4... I'm kind of hoping I can shoot 14 grains on level 3. 18 on 4 and 20 grain slugs on 5 and just find the most accurate lead for each.

Any tips would be appreciated.

And thanks for the add. First pcp. First post. Sorry it's so long. I've been lingering a bit on the forums and just now finally joined

Reactions: Dog
@DoktorPotterR - I shoot cheap Crosman Premier Hollow Points 14.3 grains out of mine on power setting 3. I left my hammer spring where it was from the factory (mine wall all out/flush with the back of the receiver. When I did the shot curve last year for that combination it gave me an average muzzle velocity of 806.4 fps for 20.6 fpe. I keep it at that setting for plinking and pesting. The sweet spot of my curve was 2600 psi down to 2000 psi, gave me 40 shots with an standard deviation of 4.7 fps and and extreme spread of 19 fps. If I'm just plinking I fill it up to 3000 psi and shoot it for 100 shots.

1000020028.jpg
here was my best group showing the rise not using a bench rest just using a barrel rest. 35.5 yards I don't have velocity yet. Those squares are each half inch squares. Best pellets for my personal unit has been the h&n barracuda hunter extreme and then the jts 18.1 after that. That's a 30 shot string that I would like to tighten up.

Got mine a few weeks ago. 22 caliber. Very accurate. The scope in the picture went back. Trying a Hawkes 3-9 now. One dime at 45 yards with Dead Center 18.1. Not as good with 14.3 CPHP. May order an Arken. Adds another 1/2 pound. It came with a horrible stock color but I could see nice figure in the Beechwood stock. Simple refinish. Before and after.
EA5B462A-773A-4BA5-B2C4-2A7D5FE827B0.jpeg

Got mine a few weeks ago. 22 caliber. Very accurate. The scope in the picture went back. Trying a Hawkes 3-9 now. One dime at 45 yards with Dead Center 18.1. Not as good with 14.3 CPHP. May order an Arken. Adds another 1/2 pound. It came with a horrible stock color but I could see nice figure in the Beechwood stock. Simple refinish. Before and after.View attachment 490996
I like that stock color on the refinish! Mine does not have near as much grain to it, and it still has tooling marks on the bottom of the stock. Good job!

I was thinking about adding one of those drop in style regulators but after reading I think tuning might get desired results.

I ordered a cheap chronograph but currently the jts 18 grains shoot the best out of 7 pellets I've tried. However my issue is it shoots a 1.5 maybe more line up then down . My left right variation is within a dime and from what I am learning this is due to the "shot curve"

I guess ill start with 2 turns out from seated. Then go from there to see if it tightens out at 3 turns.

Is everyone tuning on power level 5? I've seen some on level 4... I'm kind of hoping I can shoot 14 grains on level 3. 18 on 4 and 20 grain slugs on 5 and just find the most accurate lead for each.

Any tips would be appreciated.

And thanks for the add. First pcp. First post. Sorry it's so long. I've been lingering a bit on the forums and just now finally joined
My posted shot strings, 3 clips for 30 is with the hammer turned IN 3 turns from flush or stock out of box. I easily confuse myself. Anyway the cheap Cadwell lets you save your string on phone, me old 6S phone using the round mic jack. I lost 200 psi per clip but the FPS/FPE hangs in for a hunting curve. Using lighter pellets like Chris, don't see spending bucks on a regulator, for way higher shot count. Waiting on your post...

Reactions: DoktorPotteR
My posted shot strings, 3 clips for 30 is with the hammer turned IN 3 turns from flush or stock out of box. I easily confuse myself. Anyway the cheap Cadwell lets you save your string on phone, me old 6S phone using the round mic jack. I lost 200 psi per clip but the FPS/FPE hangs in for a hunting curve. Using lighter pellets like Chris, don't see spending bucks on a regulator, for way higher shot count. Waiting on your post...
My chronograph came in today. I'll have to wait till Tuesday unless I get time tomorrow to get everything tested.

I tried to record some tonight but it mist have been too dark.

Got mine a few weeks ago. 22 caliber. Very accurate. The scope in the picture went back. Trying a Hawkes 3-9 now. One dime at 45 yards with Dead Center 18.1. Not as good with 14.3 CPHP. May order an Arken. Adds another 1/2 pound. It came with a horrible stock color but I could see nice figure in the Beechwood stock. Simple refinish. Before and after.View attachment 490996
so what was your simple refinish? how did you do it? looks great!:)

so what was your simple refinish? how did you do it? looks great!:)
Thanks.
Strip the muddy factory spray stain off with a paint and varnish remover. Use Lacquer Thinner to clean off the residue. After the wood is thoroughly dry, use synthetic wool to lower the raised grain. Caution: Do not over do it. Beechwood is very hard and easy to close the grain so it will not accept stain. Stain, then a couple coats of spray lacquer. After the finish is dry, lightly rub it out with oooo steel wool.
385DD1C4-4080-40A9-8930-46C251084627.jpeg

turn your hammer spring all the way out, setting # 4 and it will SHOOT the lighter pellets much better and huge amount of shots.
Yes. My hammer spring came from AOA and was turned all the way out. I use a hand pump, so I want to get the best cycle without taking the psi to low. At 3k and on setting #3, it starts out at 846 fps using 14.3 grain CPHP’s. At shot 58 and 2.2k psi, it’s getting 851 fps. Shot #25-52 approximately, is its premium portion of the cycle. 859fps-860fps, topping out at 866fps. Then with 2.2 k psi left, at simple 75 pumps on the Hill pump and it’s back to 3k. Accuracy seems reasonably good. Just upgraded the scope to a Nikon 3-9AO, EFR from a Hawke 3-9AO and should improve the accuracy even a bit more. Will keep everyone updated.

Reactions: Dog
My chronograph came in today. I'll have to wait till Tuesday unless I get time tomorrow to get everything tested.

I tried to record some tonight but it mist have been too dark.
If your using the Caldwell, it's finicky on light. Wind blowing leaves will error 3 if tree overhead. Rock solid in the shade or inside using homemade uv light string. My brother killed my old F1, same light issues.

First few months I had it never lost any pressure. Id shoot it every few days. Sometimes only once a week. It's been a few hours and has dropped. I've only put about 2k shots through it. Probably needs seals piled I'm guessing. It's slow . But enough to see it move from the 3k jash to below the 3k hash in a few hours. Will check later.