Other Just entered the PCP world, fully addicted now...dont know what direction to go now

So I just got my first PCP ...the umarex notos. I'm having so much fun.

I originally just wanted a cheap pump and shoot to kill some rats on property. Was originally going to get the crosman 1322 but I posted on reddit and someone convinced me to get the notos.

So glad I did! I'm having an absolute blast!

Now I got the itch tho...

I joined here just to learn how to modify the notos. However it seems like that would cost $300-$500

I been looking at the air venturi Avenge-X...for a little more I can get a whole new gun.

Is that the better route to go for now? While I am handy, I have zero experience with air gun modifications.

Also I really want more power, higher caliber, slug capable and maybe longer range

Sure seems like the Avenge-X checks all the boxes

What do you guys think? Modify or new gun? Any other recommendations? I really want one with an adjustable moderator .25 or .30 cal and sub $1000 would love to get an FX one day but it's just not in the budget (wife would literally murder me with it, but like not by firing it, by like brutal blunt force trauma )

The Notos is a fantastic PCP right out of the box! If you are going to upgrade for more power etc I would say buy once cry once, in other words save your money and purchase a high end one of your choice. You get all the benefits of a higher end gun like a match grade trigger, barrel, receiver, adjustability, power, parts availability, warranty etc, well worth it in my humble opinion, was told this years ago from others and understand it's meaning now 👍

Common question, upgrade "starter" PCP to match high end airgun or just save the money for high end airgun? If keeping starter gun forever, less of an issue, trying to recoup 1K for a $300 gun can be a struggle. Buyer will have to trust the parts installed as well as the workmanship of installer. Fit, finish and quality of workmanship between "starter" PCPs and high-end can also be considerable. WM

Last edited:
The Notos is a fantastic PCP right out of the box! If you are going to upgrade for more power etc I would say buy once cry once, in other words save your money and purchase a high end one of your choice. You get all the benefits of a higher end gun like a match grade trigger, barrel, receiver, adjustability, power, parts availability, warranty etc, well worth it in my humble opinion, was told this years ago from others and understand it's meaning now 👍
Totally agree

I'd suggest just enjoy the one you have now. As you gain more experience, you'll realize what you like and don't like about the guns and you will be much better informed for your next purchase. Also, if you truly want something like an FX, accumulating a number of cheaper guns will only lengthen the time for you to acquire your dream gun. I thought the Notos is a $300 gun... if that's the case, I certainly won't spend the same cost of the rifle just on modifications.

I went down this road myself, like many others here. My advice is maybe do some small cheap upgrades to the Notos, like the ebay plenum kit. Save up a little and spend your next pcp money on something great. An FX DRS, Maverick/Wildcat would be my choice for a second pcp. The Maverick/Wildcat or even an Impact are very customizable with tons of parts available to change your setup as you grow. I regret spending money on cheaper pcps after deciding I wanted to get into them. You made a great choice with the Notos, and as you already figured out it can cost more to upgrade a cheap pcp than to buy a great one. The AvengeX is a good mid tier pcp, but in todays market I think I would skip the cheaper guns all together for your next purchase.

i agree. spend that extra buck for that extra bang! the notos was a perfect intro into pcp airgunning and i picked up a used huben k1 in .25 after. i dont regret it. upgrade that notos and get a banger next.
if you’re familiar with using basic tools, the notos is fairly user friendly in terms of diy mods.

My advice......from years of PCP...."Buy Once Cry Once" Get the best you can afford for what you are going to use it for and don't look back. I have had LOTS of cheap PCP's....accuracy sucks and they breakdown all the time...leaks etc.. Get something really good and shoot the hell out of it. Some good brands FX, Rapid Airworx, Airmaks, Air Arms, Benjamin, SKOUT, EdGun.

PS - FX Just dropped the FX Dynamic Compact.....looks really sweet...right up your alley with the NOTOS. A substantial upgrade from your Notos...for sure but 1550 upgrade. Looks damn awesome.

Reactions: luckylewis
Man-O-man, you asked the wrong guy!

I just got my .25 kit from C88machining that I'm installing this weekend on my Franken-Notos!

20240502_110933.jpg

Allow me to pontificate on all the "Buy-once-cry-once" advice.

I have a fully kitted out FX Maverick with all the bells and whistles. She is my pride and joy! She shoots .30 slugs to 200 yards and it's *almost perfect! I saved for a whole year for it and I don't regret it at all!

*almost

I have 2 Notos guns that I grab first when I see birds, chipmunks or other pests. "Why not the Maverick?"

What the BOCO crowd doesn't tell you is that these high-end guns are H E A V Y !

Shouldering a 12lb gun off hand is a real struggle for multiple shots but at less than 6lb, fully kitted out, the Notos can be fired off-hand all day long!

Is it worth the money all kitted out?

Yes, it is.

Because it meets my needs across the board and I'll grab it FIRST out of the rack every time.

Lastly: $2k guns in the rain and snow? Forgetaboutit!

Reactions: luckylewis
I too feel that you should wear out the Notos... and in the meantime spend some time here reading the important stuff==> the guns that guys have problems with, so that you can avoid them.

Also, I am very much in the buy once crowd... but even a number of high end guns will have issues==> regulator creep, O-ring issues, lpoor manufacturer warranty or parts availability, the list goes on.

As you gain more experience with your Noto's, you'll see where it is lacking and where you want to go in the PCP world.

Regarding modding airguns, to me, it's something you do for fun or enjoyment. I've modded 22 rimfires for years and (hate to say it but it's more like a couple of decades) have no regrets, I immensely enjoyed doing it and learned so much more about the guns. But I never got my money out of a modded gun when I sold it.

Jerry