Other Just entered the PCP world, fully addicted now...dont know what direction to go now

Allow me to pontificate on all the "Buy-once-cry-once" advice.

I have a fully kitted out FX Maverick with all the bells and whistles. She is my pride and joy! She shoots .30 slugs to 200 yards and it's *almost perfect! I saved for a whole year for it and I don't regret it at all!

*almost

I have 2 Notos guns that I grab first when I see birds, chipmunks or other pests. "Why not the Maverick?"

What the BOCO crowd doesn't tell you is that these high-end guns are H E A V Y !

Shouldering a 12lb gun off hand is a real struggle for multiple shots but at less than 6lb, fully kitted out, the Notos can be fired off-hand all day long!

Is it worth the money all kitted out?

Yes, it is.

Because it meets my needs across the board and I'll grab it FIRST out of the rack every time.

Lastly: $2k guns in the rain and snow? Forgetaboutit!
Dont't hear that word to often ... Pontificate ..good one!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Firewalker
Welcome to the forum Lewis. Airguns and drugs analog. Two terms to jeep in mine. Casual user or full blown addiction. . You may start out as Casual airgunner but it won't be long. Buckle up tightly and enjoy the ride.
I think I've already got the full blown itch...wife is already sick of me showing her pictures and talking with her about them constantly haha

She's a good sport tho, I mean to the uninitiated "black gun picture #37" might be kinda boring lol

My advice......from years of PCP...."Buy Once Cry Once" Get the best you can afford for what you are going to use it for and don't look back. I have had LOTS of cheap PCP's....accuracy sucks and they breakdown all the time...leaks etc.. Get something really good and shoot the hell out of it. Some good brands FX, Rapid Airworx, Airmaks, Air Arms, Benjamin, SKOUT, EdGun.

PS - FX Just dropped the FX Dynamic Compact.....looks really sweet...right up your alley with the NOTOS. A substantial upgrade from your Notos...for sure but 1550 upgrade. Looks damn awesome.
Definitely going to check this one out

I really wish there were more lever action pcp rifles...im obsessed with old westerns but surprisingly not many, lobos somethings and a Seneca was all I've found and kinda spendy for a personal gimmick fantasy.

Definitely when I drop a bundle tho it's going to be on a precision 100+ yard rifle with a whole lot of power

Allow me to pontificate on all the "Buy-once-cry-once" advice.

I have a fully kitted out FX Maverick with all the bells and whistles. She is my pride and joy! She shoots .30 slugs to 200 yards and it's *almost perfect! I saved for a whole year for it and I don't regret it at all!

*almost

I have 2 Notos guns that I grab first when I see birds, chipmunks or other pests. "Why not the Maverick?"

What the BOCO crowd doesn't tell you is that these high-end guns are H E A V Y !

Shouldering a 12lb gun off hand is a real struggle for multiple shots but at less than 6lb, fully kitted out, the Notos can be fired off-hand all day long!

Is it worth the money all kitted out?

Yes, it is.

Because it meets my needs across the board and I'll grab it FIRST out of the rack every time.

Lastly: $2k guns in the rain and snow? Forgetaboutit!
Sounds like exactly what I want! Guess I got some savings to do

Surprising tho, googling "how to make an off shore back account to hide air rifle purchases from significant other" didn't yield as many helpful results as expected

Reactions: maxtrouble
Sounds like exactly what I want! Guess I got some savings to do

Surprising tho, googling "how to make an off shore back account to hide air rifle purchases from significant other" didn't yield as many helpful results as expected

I used to buy and sell a lot of powder burners back in the day. My gun dealer would give me a receipt from "Joe's Garage" for a nominal fee and make things easier to explain. "That damn water pump went out again".

I think I've already got the full blown itch...wife is already sick of me showing her pictures and talking with her about them constantly haha

She's a good sport tho, I mean to the uninitiated "black gun picture #37" might be kinda boring lol
Smart of you to prepare the wife through “pestering” for the expenditures to come…😈 Don’t fall into the trap of buying an airgun so powerful you can’t shoot it everyday in your backyard. With airguns, particularly PCPs? Though “counterintuitive” less power equals more hunting, pesting and shooting opportunities for the majority…🙏

Reactions: Struckat
So I just got my first PCP ...the umarex notos. I'm having so much fun.

I originally just wanted a cheap pump and shoot to kill some rats on property. Was originally going to get the crosman 1322 but I posted on reddit and someone convinced me to get the notos.

So glad I did! I'm having an absolute blast!

Now I got the itch tho...

I joined here just to learn how to modify the notos. However it seems like that would cost $300-$500

I been looking at the air venturi Avenge-X...for a little more I can get a whole new gun.

Is that the better route to go for now? While I am handy, I have zero experience with air gun modifications.

Also I really want more power, higher caliber, slug capable and maybe longer range

Sure seems like the Avenge-X checks all the boxes

What do you guys think? Modify or new gun? Any other recommendations? I really want one with an adjustable moderator .25 or .30 cal and sub $1000 would love to get an FX one day but it's just not in the budget (wife would literally murder me with it, but like not by firing it, by like brutal blunt force trauma )
Offer $1000. I have one of these in .22 and it is one of the finest, most accurate and reliable rifles in my collection, It's good enough to be the last rifle you buy. (wink, wink)

Last edited:
I do not follow BOCO logic. I have 5 airguns that cost less than $500 and one that cost $1400. The higher priced one is better machined, no more accurate than the best of the cheaper ones, and heavier than the cheaper ones. I like the cheaper ones as much. If I had to give one up it would be either my Avenger (one of the cheap guns) or the most expensive Caiman X. I do not like the length of the Avenger. I like other aspects including it's weight. I need to make it a new stock and maybe I'll like it more. But it will still be long. There is an Avenge X bullpup but it cocks in the rear. It has an externally adjustable regulator which is nice but changing an internal one is not really that hard. My favorite airguns are my 3 SPA P35. Snowpeak (SPA) makes the Notos and also the P35. A Stoeger Bullshark is almost the same gun as the P35. If you want a 25 I would go for the P35X (Krale) since it has a much larger plenum and I think uo will want that for a 25. The only thing I don't like about the bullshark is the weight of the stock. It drives the weight of the gun up to 6 lbs, the P35 weighs 5. These are light accurate regulated guns for under $500.

It does not need to be a P35 but I strongly recommend you look hard at the under $500 airguns. There is at least one thread on that subject here. I do not believe the higher priced guns offer enough over the cheaper ones to justify their price. Everybody is entitled to their opinion on this and I may still buy more higher priced guns. But I will always keep my P35-22 and probably the other two too. I might give away my P35-25 to one of the kids but if I do I will get a P35X to replace it. My less expensive airguns are reliable, accurate, light, and the P35s are compact. No reason to suggest anybody would "cry" if they owned them. I think higher prices guns are at least generally better, just not enough better to justify 3 times the price or more. Under $500 guns are pretty darned good.

You need to consider your wife's input but I would recommend the same thing if you had no budgetary constraint. I have no wife and I have enough money I can buy any airgun I want comfortably. Budget is not the reason I have purchased mainly less expensive airguns. Now I own a more expensive airgun and it has not changed my opinion even a little. I think more expensive guns are nicer but not really enough nicer to justify their price. I see no hard dollar reason to spend the extra money. It's nice having nice things but lower priced airguns are really quite nice.

Last edited:
well im 2 mos old to the pcp guns as well bought a jet 2 sent back bought my Notos and all hell brooke loose for me
yeah i went a little overboard but thats me yeah i overspent on a scope Hawke 4-16x50 sidewinder
i like it im adding the 380mm fx barrel nothing wrong with the factory barrel i just like options

then i thought hmm pistol would be cool here came the huban gk1 .22 holos gren dot etc etc

and of course now the AEA Megladon 50 cal pump oh boy.. yep im hooked...

With FX releasing a new model every 6-12 months, there is no such thing as BUY ONCE CRY ONCE.

Buy what will fulfill your wants/needs today. If perhaps tomorrow your wants/needs change, then rinse and repeat. Hardly anything in life is static.

-Matt
You said nothing but truth!
Many start off with a budget gun and progress upward in quality at the behest of skepticism. Others may jump in "head first" and figure they're done.
No matter what, there's gonna be something we gotta have in the future.
Manufacturers like FX don't make it easy on us....