FX Just received my new FX King

Well, I finally decided to go with the FX King in 30 caliber after going back and forth for probably 6 weeks or so trying to decide between numerous. Probably an influence as to me decision was I also own the FX contiuum in 25 caliber. I have been shooting woodchucks here in western Pennsylvania this year out to around 110 yards and have been experiencing a recovery rate of them probably in the 50% range. I always try to practice disposing of them as quickly as possible. It seems at that range clean kills were hard to achieve for myself, and that is why I decided to go to a bigger caliber. So yesterday, (9-7-24), my rifle arrived from Utah Airguns. So I take it outside and load up a few Zan slugs that I paid Utah Airguns 100 bucks to specially tune the rifle to. I touch off a round and WOW!! was it LOUD!! Firing a few more I realized that this was not going to be anything near to the report of my FX 25 caliber. Now, I figured that it would be a bit louder but I would bet that the report was three times that of my 25. I could definitly feel that this was a bit more than I thought it would be. So now I need to tame this beast. I mean with a moderator. So my question to you shooters is this. Length and weight probably will not affect my decision because my woodchuck hunting is basically from a bench. I would like to hear about what you think I should add to the barrel to quiet this beast down. There is so many out there.
Thanks!
Gene from Pa.

Reactions: Sean_Eason
Well, I finally decided to go with the FX King in 30 caliber after going back and forth for probably 6 weeks or so trying to decide between numerous. Probably an influence as to me decision was I also own the FX contiuum in 25 caliber. I have been shooting woodchucks here in western Pennsylvania this year out to around 110 yards and have been experiencing a recovery rate of them probably in the 50% range. I always try to practice disposing of them as quickly as possible. It seems at that range clean kills were hard to achieve for myself, and that is why I decided to go to a bigger caliber. So yesterday, (9-7-24), my rifle arrived from Utah Airguns. So I take it outside and load up a few Zan slugs that I paid Utah Airguns 100 bucks to specially tune the rifle to. I touch off a round and WOW!! was it LOUD!! Firing a few more I realized that this was not going to be anything near to the report of my FX 25 caliber. Now, I figured that it would be a bit louder but I would bet that the report was three times that of my 25. I could definitly feel that this was a bit more than I thought it would be. So now I need to tame this beast. I mean with a moderator. So my question to you shooters is this. Length and weight probably will not affect my decision because my woodchuck hunting is basically from a bench. I would like to hear about what you think I should add to the barrel to quiet this beast down. There is so many out there.
Thanks!
Gene from Pa.
STO

My 25 continuum is quite mild and quiet. I have no issues with it at all. I shoot woodchucks from my deck into the fields with no worries whatsoever about noise pollution. At 50 yards from my death grip tripod I can easily place a kill shot on a chuck with hardly no risk of them flipping around and finding their den. 100 to 150 yards I am not that good, and I am sure that the FPE has to really drop off at that distance. Woodchucks are a bit hard to kill in their tracks at that range using the 25 and thats why I decided on the 30 cal.
As for their recommendation I never really asked for it. I figured the only way was to go bigger, and after watching videos on here about people using the 30 on woodchucks I was convinced this is what I needed.(wanted)...I believe this beast is probably three times as loud, and I believe it even has a bit of a recoil to it, but I havent shot it a half a dozen times as of yet. I'm checking into moderators for it as I am sure that they will help. I know some are as much as 7, or better inches long, but basically the rifle sits in my tripod until it's time to shoot it, so length is something I am not that concerned about. I also plan on using it as a walking gun, but then I am not going to be concerned about the rifles report.

I don’t think the difference between 25 and 30 is that different in the guns I have tried. The only gun I had in 30 that I didn’t like was a really lightweight gun.

You didn’t mention the power settings of the two guns you comparing, only that the 30 is shooting slugs. What are some more details on the ammo and specs you are shooting from the 2 guns. That can make a huge difference. That will allow us to help you compare why they are possibly so different. Considering the Crown can’t make the top power of the King, this is important info.

I'm thinking about going with the Impulse 1A-1350. Utah Airguns said that this would be a good choice. I could also purchase extra baffles for it and also there is another piece that wouldmake the barrel and the moderator match up better. Not that I really need it to macth, but I'll look at it anyway. Also talked to a gentleman from Impulse this morning. He seemed quite confident that his product would be perfect.
Haven't really made up my mind as of yet, but really leaning toward this one.

Reactions: Sean_Eason
I don’t think the difference between 25 and 30 is that different in the guns I have tried. The only gun I had in 30 that I didn’t like was a really lightweight gun.

You didn’t mention the power settings of the two guns you comparing, only that the 30 is shooting slugs. What are some more details on the ammo and specs you are shooting from the 2 guns. That can make a huge difference. That will allow us to help you compare why they are possibly so different. Considering the Crown can’t make the top power of the King, this is important info.
The power settings of both my Crown, and King are at max. The only pellet I have really used in the 25 Continuum is the Exact King Diabolo. It is very accurate and I was using it for woodchucks out to 100 yards.

Thanks!
Gene from Pa.
I think the ODB Magnum Moderator.30 cal. Black, would work well.

I'm thinking about going with the Impulse 1A-1350.
I have wanted to try this one a few times, and I might myself… only if used, as I think new prices have gotten nuts! I have only heard good things in those, and they have a good design.

The power settings of both my Crown, and King are at max. The only pellet I have really used in the 25 Continuum is the Exact King Diabolo. It is very accurate and I was using it for woodchucks out to 100 yards.
The Crown isn’t super powerful, but if you were just shooting Exact Kings with its excellent shroud, I fully expect that it was tame and not very loud. That would be very different from a King with .30 slugs.

As far as shooting .30 slugs powerfully, you are probably well served with a large moderator. Most people love the STO (cheaper than most) because of the excellent designs. I have tried 2 and they weren’t much quieter than others but were quieter, but both clipped on the rifles when no others did. I would still try them again on another rifle. They are cheaper than the others that market heavily. The Huma Mod40 is well regarded around here as being very good. I don’t think you have to spend a lot to get good sound deadening properties. Most of them don’t sound very different at all, and I normally suggest going on looks or price.

I would suggest going big and I would suggest getting one you like the looks of at a price you like. There is no magic moderator.

Would love to try one of these at this price!

I have wanted to try this one a few times, and I might myself… only if used, as I think new prices have gotten nuts! I have only heard good things in those, and they have a good design.

The Crown isn’t super powerful, but if you were just shooting Exact Kings with its excellent shroud, I fully expect that it was tame and not very loud. That would be very different from a King with .30 slugs.

As far as shooting .30 slugs powerfully, you are probably well served with a large moderator. Most people love the STO (cheaper than most) because of the excellent designs. I have tried 2 and they weren’t much quieter than others but were quieter, but both clipped on the rifles when no others did. I would still try them again on another rifle. They are cheaper than the others that market heavily. The Huma Mod40 is well regarded around here as being very good. I don’t think you have to spend a lot to get good sound deadening properties. Most of them don’t sound very different at all, and I normally suggest going on looks or price.

I would suggest going big and I would suggest getting one you like the looks of at a price you like. There is no magic moderator.
Thank you for your imput. You seem to know quite a bit about moderators. I appreciate that. Thanks again!

Thank you for your imput. You seem to know quite a bit about moderators. I appreciate that. Thanks again!
I will say that I don’t know a lot, but have tried a lot of them. There are people in the moderator section that can tell you exactly why some work better than others and all that.

Having tried a bunch and realizing that some of the most basic designs work as good as fancy stuff blows me away. I have found that it is hard to find that final piece for your particular rifle without trying a few. One isn’t going to work for all. Also, I can’t believe I forgot to say this, accuracy for me always outweighs a tiny bit of extra sound savings!! I have always gone with the option in the drawer that was the most accurate, not the quietest. For example, on an old Impact, the base hollow can as more accurate than 3-4 different moderators that were quieter, but the hollow can was enough for me, so I stuck with that. On my Skout, the original straw moderator was more accurate than the whisper but was a tiny bit louder, so I stuck with the straw. My Crown was more accurate with the small Fx by Donny moderator than 3-4 others.

One thing I like about a few designs out there (that I haven’t yet tried) are the modular designs. The ones where you can add and remove sections. That will allow you to sort of tune the rifle a little as well. The Impulse, Huma, a few Donny’s, new 0Db are like that. I haven’t tried one yet, but I really want to. I haven’t “needed” a new one in a while, so I haven’t yet tried those.

I tell people to figure out what your priorities are and go from there. How much can I spend? (Stick to that one and you can possibly try a few models!) Do I care about looks? Is squeezing out every ounce of quietness what I want it to… because I might have to try a lot? Accuracy?

Enjoy the journey!

I'm thinking about going with the Impulse 1A-1350. Utah Airguns said that this would be a good choice. I could also purchase extra baffles for it and also there is another piece that wouldmake the barrel and the moderator match up better. Not that I really need it to macth, but I'll look at it anyway. Also talked to a gentleman from Impulse this morning. He seemed quite confident that his product would be perfect.
Haven't really made up my mind as of yet, but really leaning toward this one.
I have tried the Impulse Air 1350.

The STO Falx high flow is quieter on my .25 M3. I shoot H&N 40gr Heavy slugs at 980 fps.

I know the the STO webpage is Information Overload but they are truly a better suppressor