Kahles temp shift?

What we need to realize is, parrilax adjustment as to what we view remains correct with this shift in temperature.
The dial on our MONOCULAR optics that gives an approximate distances was NEVER meant as a miens of exacting RANGE FINDING .... as to do that accurately requires either STEREO lens calibrating intersect of two points of focus, or a laser doing a bounce with projection and receiving being on differing planes.

In a sense, we have by rules become dependent on a optics parallax and the crutch of using it best we can as the standard ... which sadly is a weak miens to do so. Using a optics reticles sub tension scaling ( AKA Bracketing ) is more accurate given stability and time to crunch the numbers prior to a shot taken.
As the AAFTA or WFTF FT rules are in stone, only those VERY versed in how to do this within allotted time & the skill to to actually Do This are that successful !!!

Reactions: Bill Day
You'll experience temp shift in most everything.. Thermal contraction and expansion spare few things.. (yet to see a scope made of antiperovskite manganese nitrides and silicone).. assemblies of alloy and glass seem tailor made to model the effect, price tag not withstanding. As MH has stated, only the most versed and observative can exploit this to their benefit.. A versed shooter with decent glass clarity but intimate knowledge of the thermal effect on his telescopic sight, can best top shelf glass in inexperienced hands any day.. Phil Hepler has done quite well with his UTG against guys with three to six times the optic.. No free lunches, no silver bullets, time on the water yields the fish...

My lowly Sightrons over range by 3 yards at 88*F or is it 3.3yards?...

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnTaylor
I don't know if it is on the rules or not, but why not use a temp gauge on the scope, coupled with two or three different ranging estimate cards for the noticable difference in shifts at specific temperatures? Seems like I have seen similar dual and triple yardages (based on temperature) written on the big ranging parallax wheels in the past.

I don't know if it is on the rules or not, but why not use a temp gauge on the scope, coupled with two or three different ranging estimate cards for the noticable difference in shifts at specific temperatures? Seems like I have seen similar dual and triple yardages (based on temperature) written on the big ranging parallax wheels in the past.
This snap on/over rings were designed to be set up within specific temperature ranges so when a critical temp occurs you could take one off and slip on the appropriate temp calibrated ring... alas rules do not allow - which is a stupid rule.
IMG_1944.jpeg