Kral Puncher Jumbo on slugs ??

I have tried a few different slugs out of Kral Puncher Breaker and Knight in .22 and .25. I was not blown away, but I did not spend a lot of time trying various shapes and weights.

The "gee-whizz" factor is not enough for me to spend the cash, the air or the time needed to identify what will work in my twon guns. I am not chasing 200y shots. I plink and I pest in a semi residential area. Slugs are not my destiny I'm airguns (at this time).

I have tried a few different slugs out of Kral Puncher Breaker and Knight in .22 and .25. I was not blown away, but I did not spend a lot of time trying various shapes and weights.

The "gee-whizz" factor is not enough for me to spend the cash, the air or the time needed to identify what will work in my twon guns. I am not chasing 200y shots. I plink and I pest in a semi residential area. Slugs are not my destiny I'm airguns (at this time).

I understand Jim. Thx for your insights and objectives. Mine are different.

I m primarily a garden shooter (only seldom taking part in competition shooting). My garden is 65m deep (a good 70yrd) with trees in the front and midst of it, leaving me “moving windows” through the big branches swaying in the wind, while trying to hit a whole set up of small to very small targets, as well as 2 posts with shooting card stickers, set up across the back of the yard. Those “moving windows” through the branches are part of the fun, necessitating higher focus and alertness for “environmental influences”. Keeps me sharp. On the other hand though, the unsteady southwestern wind during 2/3 of the year unsteadily pushing up and bumping up against the flank of our valley (and our garden), make it a necessity to be able to shoot projectiles with an as flat as possible trajectory at 65m targets set up across the entire width in back of the garden. For that purpose, pellets just fall too short (most pellets anyway). That’s why slugs shot at velocities of around 295-300m/s (around 985fps) are the better option for me. Provides me with a line of sight as well as a projectile trajectory I can work with. At the same time the higher BC of slugs makes them less ‘wind susceptible’ for continual and unsteady right-to-left pushes, increasing my accuracy outcome. (I so do hope my limited english is sufficient for you to understand)

So, not any more than you are, I ve never been chasing 200y shots. As you have understood from the above, the use of slugs –for me– serves a somewhat other purpose than “hitting far off targets at 100yards and beyond”.

Trajectory Dynamics -Click on link for use-

Trajectory Dynamics.1600938221.png

Slugs really shine at 50+ yards. The stability typically doesn't make them quite as accurate as pellets. The additional friction from a slug causes a loss of power compared to pellets of the same weight. To get in to the high 900fps range requires modifications to the gun to obtain and drastically lowers the shot count. It can be done obviously. I have slugs here to test. I'll be comparing the factory Jumbo/Knight barrel to a custom FX Slug A barrel liner set up for the Kral. You'll definitely want a 250bar fill gun to achieve that power. You might find the 25.4gr or 33.95gr in 22cal at similar speeds superior to slugs at those ranges. 

985fps with a slug out of a Kral is asking a lot. You would have to mod the gun to shoot a comparable weight pellet for 1,000fps. Troy would know if that’s even possible with your platform. Then if you can’t find a accurate slug, you have a low shot count air hog. I have several guns that I flip flop between pellets and slugs. They both have TJ barrels. I never see any WORTHWHILE advantage of a slug out to 70-80yrds. They do seem to hit a little harder but they still drift in the wind and drop similar to a pellet. Unless you are taking out large pests, I personally don’t think it’s worth the time, money and beating on your gun.

Slugs really shine at 50+ yards. The stability typically doesn't make them quite as accurate as pellets. The additional friction from a slug causes a loss of power compared to pellets of the same weight. To get in to the high 900fps range requires modifications to the gun to obtain and drastically lowers the shot count. It can be done obviously. I have slugs here to test. I'll be comparing the factory Jumbo/Knight barrel to a custom FX Slug A barrel liner set up for the Kral. You'll definitely want a 250bar fill gun to achieve that power. You might find the 25.4gr or 33.95gr in 22cal at similar speeds superior to slugs at those ranges.

Thx for your input thammer. Does that stand for “Troy Hammer” ? then I think one of my friends has been in touch with you. He’s been talking for some time now about getting a Kral Super Jumbo. That s why this airgun drew my attention in the first place. Now my friend and I are planning to both get a SJ and compare our progress in modifying it. He came up with the idea of getting a .22 and change the barrel to .177.

What do you think, thammer? Is .22 Kral SJ worth purchasing ? Or too much trouble to get it right (with slugs) ?

I love the super jumbo. Fantastic gun. I can't say how a factory barrel will do with slugs as I'm not a slug shooter. Definitely can be tuned for the power needed. I am building one for slugs now but putting a ln FX 700mm 22cal slug A barrel on it. Should be in the 60fpe range and accurate at 100 plus yards. It's my first real adventure in to small bore slugs.

Reactions: JimS
I love the super jumbo. Fantastic gun. I can't say how a factory barrel will do with slugs as I'm not a slug shooter. Definitely can be tuned for the power needed. I am building one for slugs now but putting a ln FX 700mm 22cal slug A barrel on it. Should be in the 60fpe range and accurate at 100 plus yards. It's my first real adventure in to small bore slugs.

I will be hoping you re making an installation and assembly video of your works on that 700mm FX slugliner in the Kral Super J. That would be great. 👏

Reactions: JimS

No doubt that 700 mm barrel will contribute to some of the extra power output. What part of that 60fpe energy, do you estimate your valve system is responsible for ? (after opening up the gun's airways of course). Otherwise said : what kind of difference in that 60fpe of energy-output would you expect, when merely opening up ins & outs of that gun, without installing your valve kit?

Getting 60 fpe isn't an issue even without my valve. Porting and hammer spring gets you there. It's when you pair the valve, hammer, springs and porting that it comes together in harmony.

Thx Troy Hammer. I can imagine that valve of yours balances the gun. I heard my mate Len saying is very keen on trying out your valve and springs. He said he has sent you a mail on that subject but not received answer of you. Did you get his mail? How can he best place an order to your satisfaction?

I have a T Hammer modified Big Max in 22 that shoots the H&N 21 gr slugs great. I had the gun modified to shoot the redesigned monsters but I was getting average results at best with them. I tried slugs on a whim and discovered that they shoot great in it. I got some NSA slugs but haven't had a chance to do detailed testing with them.

Thx Blackdiesel. Really appreciate your input.

Getting 60 fpe isn't an issue even without my valve. Porting and hammer spring gets you there. It's when you pair the valve, hammer, springs and porting that it comes together in harmony.

Thx Troy Hammer. I can imagine that valve of yours balances the gun. I heard my mate Len saying is very keen on trying out your valve and springs. He said he has sent you a mail on that subject but not received answer of you. Did you get his mail? How can he best place an order to your satisfaction?

Dear Troy Hammer,
It’s been some 10 days since I ve asked you the above question. But even though I see you re active on AirgunNation there’s no reply to my question. I wonder why that is Troy.

Have I said something inappropriate or disrespectful as you see it ? Please tell me.